Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with Onkyo TX-SR606 for Audio Quality

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-01-09, 10:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using a Sony BDP-S350 as my Blu-ray player and an Onkyo SR606 as my receiver. When I play a Blu-ray disc that has Dolby TrueHD and other high level audio signals, I am not sure what settings I need to make. I apologize, but I do not understand whether I should be setting it to Linear of PCM on the audio selections in the Sony Player. I have the two connected with an HDMI v1.3 to support those audio options. Also I can't tell when a disc is playing in TrueHD because the front of the receiver never lights up saying that. You will see the Dolby sign most of the time, but nothing else. I bought this receiver for the HDMI inputs and the ability to handle the higher level audio, but I am not sure that I am getting the most out of the receiver. If you have the time to help a novice I would greatly appreciate it. If there is any other information you need please let me know. Thank you.
Old 06-01-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Help with Onkyo TX-SR606 for Audio Quality

Set your BD player to output audio as bitstream, not LPCM.
Old 06-02-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bitstream audio to my 606 and it works properly. Both Dolby TrueHD and dts HD Master Audio light up on my receiver and should do the same on yours. Make sure your DRC or dynamic range compression is set to wide(off) on the player, and set to off on the receiver. These settings should be off because they will lower volume and effects on Dolby soundtracks.
Old 06-02-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also be sure to turn off the audio out to the TV as this will cause the Blu-ray player to limit the output to what the TV can handle.