Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

$1500 to spend on AVR, speakers, & sub

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing lots of research, but I'm completely overwhelmed by choices. So I was hoping the board could give me some direction.

In the AVR dept. I think H/K or NAD from what I've read.

But when it comes to speakers and sub I get lost in all the choices. I don't care if the system is set with 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. I just want the best bang for the buck.

The room is roughly 18 x 12. And the sofa is 9 feet from the TV.

thanks for any input
Old 03-25-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is your budget $1500 firm? If so, I'd probably plan on spending only up to $300-400 of that on a receiver, and the rest on speakers. That would knock most h/k and NAD stuff out of the running, though.

Receiver: Maybe a Pioneer 912, Panasonic SA-HE200 (refurb $200 jandr; $280 new etronics), Onkyo 601 (refurb is $304.99 at ecost), h/k 325 (refurb $369 ecost), Sony 1000ES ($393 ecost)....

Sub: Seems like the general feeling is that a very good sub can make a big difference in system performance. So.... maybe consider going with something like a Hsu VTF-2 for $499 direct from the manufacturer, as it seems to be right at the top of the best-bang-for-the-buck list among subs.

Link to VTF-2 product page at Hsu website: http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

BIC America apparently also makes good, cheap (cheaper than HSU) subs, might also be worth a look. If you went with a BIC sub, instead of Hsu, you might bump up the $ for receiver a little, too.

Speakers: There are many pretty good options out there on which you could spend the remaining $600-$650 or so of your budget (going with, say, the Onkyo 601 refurb and the VTF-2), including "boutique" manufacturers such as Fluance, Axiom, Paradigm. You could also try hunting down a few sets of the JBLS36II speakers recently on clearance at Best Buy B&M for $129.99/pair, use those in a 6.1 or 7.1 system with a good sub. Yummy!

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 03-25-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
A friend of mine just got this setup,

Onkyo: TX-SR701 6.1:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=157385

$429.99

Fluance towers: http://www.fluance.com/fluansmblac.html

$319.99

3 BI POLAR SURROUNDS: http://www.fluance.com/fluanbipsurs.html

$179

CENTER CHANNEL: http://www.fluance.com/fluancemv670c.html

$89

That inclues shipping,
Total: $1020

That leaves you $480 to spend on a sub, which I am looking for a good one for my friend. The system sounds AMAZING for this price...

Shadow
Old 03-26-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Rocket (by Onix) Extremely Luscious Theater (ELT) Bundle System for $1350 + shipping. You'll get a 5.1 speaker package plus what I believe is a Denon receiver. I'm shopping for a new home theater package for my dad and this on my list.

AV123 is an internet-direct retailer, like Axiom, and they are renowned for their customer service, as well as their Onix and Rocket lines of speakers.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=37.1

The AV123 website also has a nice little forum if you have any questions about their products.
Old 03-26-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have Rocket Tykes, which are the lowest end speakers the AV123 folks make but I can confirm that their customer service is terrific. And I got a Denon 1804 receiver from them. Check out the ELT bundle. If I had the space I might have gone with those.
Old 03-26-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Gil - how do you like the Tykes? My brother was thinking of buying them - he still lives at home, so they will be used in his bedroom for a while before he gets an apartment (which will work w/ them, too).

(I'm assuming you thought they were decent or you would have sent them back before your thirty days were up.)
Old 03-30-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B.A.
Gil - how do you like the Tykes? My brother was thinking of buying them - he still lives at home, so they will be used in his bedroom for a while before he gets an apartment (which will work w/ them, too).

(I'm assuming you thought they were decent or you would have sent them back before your thirty days were up.)
I can't really compare them to anything other than the Sony HTiB I used to have and unsurprisingly they blow that away. I'm also not the best test subject since I only have the front three set up (waiting to get some wall-work done for the rears) but they are clear and crisp with a surprisingly good range (I mean, not top-o'-da-line, but more than I expected). I'm no audiophile but I find the sub to be powerful but a little boomy (could very well be my room - the weirdest HT room ever). The only real problem I had was a blown driver in the center that AV123 promptly replaced (the new one should be arriving today; I've been using a surround in its place and that's worked great.)

Like I said, I didn't really audition much; I listened to JBL 136i's in a store but the store was so noisy and the sub was turned up so loud that it was totally useless. The build on these blows the JBLs away, that's for sure. They are classy looking little guys (no logo on the front, clean metal finish).

If you are trying to decide between these and other Rockets you may be disappointed; They are limited due to their size, definitely. But for the price they're great. I would probably have gotten the ELT's if I had the space for them but space is at a premium in my house and Tykes are the biggest speakers I can fit (!) so that's that.

I don't regret the decision at all but I'm also looking forward to one day having big-boy speakers!

Hope that helps. Ask any other questions you have.
Old 04-22-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need for big speakers, if they're well-designed. My recommendation would be the set of 5 NHT Superzeros plus a sub at onecall for $500. Add a Supercenter for $150 and you have really nice 6.1 speaker set. Dunno how good the sub is, but you could sell it (or use it as a 2nd) and still get a Hsu sub or similar plus a nice Denon receiver and be within budget.

The SuperZ's are really clear, uncolored speakers that don't even try to put out bass. (Thus their small size and clean open sound for the ranges they do cover.) Match them up with a decent sub and you'll never want to part with them...
Old 04-24-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pkynes
I've been doing lots of research, but I'm completely overwhelmed by choices. So I was hoping the board could give me some direction.

In the AVR dept. I think H/K or NAD from what I've read.

both good brands here.
when i was upgrading my audio a couple yrs back, i had it down to these two and ended up going with the NAD (753).
i had both in my home for a weekend and the NAD was clearly superior to my ears- especially when it came to imaging, which is what i was really hung up on at the time.
while i still think very highly of the sound quality from this reciever, i would just caution you to make sure all the issues of fan noise have been addressed.
i bought one of the first runs of the 753 when they came out, and only found out later that the fan kicked on every 40 minutes. it only lasts a minute, but i hear that they have been fixing (have fixed) this in current generation- but its still something i would inquire about.
NAD , i found out, was generally a bit more, but there are deals on refurbs if you want to go that route-
and as far dropping the majority of your budget on the speakers...your system is only going to sound as good as its weakest link.
mating exceptional speakers with a mediocre reciever is not likely to give you an exceptional soundfield (or vice versa)
just something to keep in mind.

But when it comes to speakers and sub I get lost in all the choices. I don't care if the system is set with 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. I just want the best bang for the buck.

The room is roughly 18 x 12. And the sofa is 9 feet from the TV.

thanks for any input
i ended up going with Ascend Acoustic cbm 170s (3 identical) for my front soundstage.
i ordered them to try them out specifically because
1) they used silk domed tweeters which i found i prefered much more to the typical metal dome of most other makes and models
and
2) they had overwhelmingly positive feedback

these speakers were on sale for $150 each
and a full package with a HSU VTF sub was $1100- which was almost 1/2 of what i had budgeted.
i got lucky, because over the course of several months, the least expensive speakers i auditioned where actually the ones i enjoyed the most.
2 yrs later i am still 100% satisfied with them- they have probably been the most satisfying HT purchase i've made since i got involved in this hobby.
the sound quality with the NAD is just swoon-inducing.

if i had a budget of $1500- i would look into finding a NAD reciever for about $700-$800 and spending the remainder on the cbm170s- getting the front three ($450).
that should leave you with some cash left over- and that i would use to start saving up for a decent sub and the two surrounds.
for my surrounds, i'm using HTM 200s which are timber matched to the 170s, but smaller and less expensive-
that is , if you like the sound of soft domed speakers.
if you don't there are a ton of other choices out there for you, but you really should listen to as much as you can to see what sound resonates with you the best.

i would hold off on the sub for now, since you will be 90% of the way there with the reciever and 5 speakers, and you'll be able to get better quality here all around, if you just cut out the sub for now.
save up and take your time researching the sub -get something 6 months or a yr down the line.
you shouldn't miss it that much unless you are a bass freak.
i have some issues with my basement whith the HSU picking up am radio signals, so part of the time i have it shut off anyway.
there is plenty going on with a good surround track and the 5 channels to dazzel my ears.

just a thought

Last edited by ckolchak; 04-24-04 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-25-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about the new Magnepan speakers that are $300 a pair and then the non-tuneable HSU sub that is identical to the VTF-2? Toss the rest into a refurbished or slightly used mid-line receiver. I don't think you do much better, but you will be slightly over in cost but a hair. I have the VTF-2 sub in a room bigger than yours, give it a corner and it will perform. If I didn't already have "ok" speakers, I would be buying the new Magnepans myself.
Old 04-11-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: $1500 to spend on AVR, speakers, & sub

I went to Best Buy and they wanted to sell me an $800 5.1 Definitive speaker set with a $500 Denon receiver. 2 years no interest with a Geek Squad purchase.

The sounds was GREAT! What do you think? I have a small apartment so I don't need big speakers.
Old 04-11-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both generally well-thought-of companies. You can probably do better on pricing on the web, at least for a receiver.
Old 04-11-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd probably do something like this for that money;

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...9501682&sr=8-2

Plus

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...e-Black/1.html

Or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...n-BLACK/1.html

Or

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

Or

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=96586

Or

Five of these + a base SVS or HSU sub

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=96586
Old 04-12-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

You should be able to find some very good deals out there. A long time back $1500 was considered "low" but now it can get you some pretty good stuff.

Speakers & Sub

Well if you get a assembled set (5.1) you can save some money plus they're "made" for each other. One thing you didn't mention was you wanted "Small Sats" or medium to large towers. I'm a Sat person myself (Boston 9000), less stuff and a cleaner look with no sound compromise. I'd check...

Definitive Tech Pro Cinema 600 - Around $800
Mirage NANO Sat 5.1 - Around $800
Boston Acoustics CS2310 - Around $800.00
PSB Mini Alpha - Around $900 (Note-Anything PSB makes is top notch. don't be fooled in the size)
NHT - Though out-of-business if you can land any of their stuff get it. Excellent sound.

AVR

For around $500 you can get a good solid AVR without giving up much. But that depends if it's for "Sound" or Sound & Switching". Some run everything thru theirs while others want it for sound only. Do you need allot inputs, optical and coax, HDMI, etc....names that stand out, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz and Onkyo

Onkyo TX-SR576 - Around $400 this has been a solid seller and performer. Good power, enough inputs, two year warranty. A classic "Best Buy".

Yamaha RX-V565BL - Around $450 this is loaded with all sorts of options, good power (90w) and has almost all the major DTS and DD sound fields. Only downside, spring clips for most of the speakers.

Marantz SR4002 - You can find these wih about $100 or more off now. Marantz has solid recr's though they might now offer as much optios sy the Yamaha. But their interanl parts and build is close to the Denon.This unit covers the bases with good power (80w) and a big plus with all 5-way binding posts for speakers. Around $380-$400 on sale.

Denon AVR-1709 - Denon is well...Denon and is good as it comes. Soild build and quality. I've still got a Denon 1801 that's still kicking it out. Plenty of inputs (4 HDMI), all 5-way binding posts for speakers. Has I-Pod connect and also includes THX processing. If I could sell mine this would be my choice though the AVR-1909 is my favorite.
Old 04-13-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy got 18 months no interest for any total purchase above $499 for this week. Only thing this is not a good week for me. An employee told me to wait for a 36 month no interest deal they have once in a while that's not advertised. I think I will wait.
Old 04-20-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I've finally picked out my system:

Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 Speaker System - $800
Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - $475
OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio (for DVD-Audio and SACD discs) - $170
Definitive Technology ProStand 600/800 Speaker Stands, 2 sets - $200

So, that's a grand total of $1,645.

Now, if I don't have to spend that much I don't really want to.

Can anybody point me in the direction of cheaper speakers that wouldn't sacrifice much in quality?

I only have a small apartment so I don't need huge speakers.
Old 04-20-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what's cheaper for you?

Under $500? Under $1000?
Old 04-20-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
what's cheaper for you?

Under $500? Under $1000?
Definitely under $1000. Can I even get ANY semblance of quality for under $500?
Old 04-20-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 606 isnt worth it at that price point, IMO. You can do better now with that kind of money. The 606 has known issues with humming and overheating. It was a deal a year ago when the 606 offered more options than anything else in the price range, but not anymore. I think the 607 will cost that much and I would rather risk that money on a newer model receiver and hope Onkyo fixed the problems with the new model.

In terms of speakers, you have to listen for yourself and decide which sounds right to you.

If trying to stay under $500...

Polk R50 towers - $69/each at Newegg (on sale) or $99/each now
Polk CS2 Center - $129 at Newegg
Polk M30 bookshelves - $100/pair
OR
Polk M40 bookshelves - $149/pair

Any of the above configurations would keep you under $500

Then add a receiver for $400-$500 like the Onkyo 607 or Yamaha 665,

And lastly, for a sub...

HSU VTF-2 - $500
OR
HSU STF - $350
OR
eD A2-300 sub - $350 (if you can wait for it)

Cables from monoprice and you have an entire system for under $1500.
Old 04-20-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
The 606 isnt worth it at that price point, IMO. You can do better now with that kind of money. The 606 has known issues with humming and overheating. It was a deal a year ago when the 606 offered more options than anything else in the price range, but not anymore. I think the 607 will cost that much and I would rather risk that money on a newer model receiver and hope Onkyo fixed the problems with the new model.

In terms of speakers, you have to listen for yourself and decide which sounds right to you.

If trying to stay under $500...

Polk R50 towers - $69/each at Newegg (on sale) or $99/each now
Polk CS2 Center - $129 at Newegg
Polk M30 bookshelves - $100/pair
OR
Polk M40 bookshelves - $149/pair

Any of the above configurations would keep you under $500

Then add a receiver for $400-$500 like the Onkyo 607 or Yamaha 665,

And lastly, for a sub...

HSU VTF-2 - $500
OR
HSU STF - $350
OR
eD A2-300 sub - $350 (if you can wait for it)

Cables from monoprice and you have an entire system for under $1500.
The sucky thing about Newegg is that shipping is not free to Hawaii. Boo.

Also, do you think I could use towers for both my front and rear speakers?
Old 04-20-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
http://www.yambekaaudio.com/

seriously get them. You will save a shitload of money and be extremely satisfied.

-I'd love for you to get these and let the rest of us know how good/bad they are.
Old 04-20-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Okay, I've finally picked out my system:

Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 Speaker System - $800
Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - $475
OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio (for DVD-Audio and SACD discs) - $170
Definitive Technology ProStand 600/800 Speaker Stands, 2 sets - $200

So, that's a grand total of $1,645.

Now, if I don't have to spend that much I don't really want to.

Can anybody point me in the direction of cheaper speakers that wouldn't sacrifice much in quality?

I only have a small apartment so I don't need huge speakers.
I went with a panny for dvd player for sacd and dvd-audio use, that would save $90 alone.
Old 04-20-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
I went with a panny for dvd player for sacd and dvd-audio use, that would save $90 alone.
What's your model number?