Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-26-08, 08:09 PM   #1
sldvd

Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

I just got the Ultimate X-Phile Edition of the X-Files: I Want to Believe.

When I put the Special Features disc into my DVD player, I heard a low humming/vibrating noise. At first I thought maybe my neighbor was outside using their air compressor. But no, the noise was coming from my DVD player. I pressed play, and the noise continued during the FBI warning, but then stopped when it showed the 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment screen. Then the noise returned when it got to the main menu, and the noise kept going when I played one of the features. The noise was still there after I stopped the DVD, and the noise finally stopped when I hit the Eject button. I put another disc in, and there was no noise. I put the Special Features disc back in, and I heard the noise again.

There must be something wrong with that disc. Perhaps the disc is somehow unbalanced? I have never heard that noise before. Wonder if the disc might damage the DVD player if I play it too long?
Old 12-26-08, 08:16 PM   #2
TheMovieman
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had this happen with The Golden Compass disc (and again for the movie "August"). It sounds like a disc that's off balance or something (can't remember the technical term off the top of my head right now). Can you exchange the DVD or was it a Christmas gift?
Old 12-27-08, 11:45 AM   #3
wd40cloud

I've had the same problem and it only seems to occur with discs produced in the last 2 years.
Old 12-28-08, 10:06 AM   #4
redskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post
When I put the Special Features disc into my DVD player, I heard a low humming/vibrating noise. At first I thought maybe my neighbor was outside using their air compressor. But no, the noise was coming from my DVD player. I pressed play, and the noise continued during the FBI warning, but then stopped when it showed the 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment screen. Then the noise returned when it got to the main menu, and the noise kept going when I played one of the features. The noise was still there after I stopped the DVD, and the noise finally stopped when I hit the Eject button. I put another disc in, and there was no noise. I put the Special Features disc back in, and I heard the noise again.

There must be something wrong with that disc. Perhaps the disc is somehow unbalanced? I have never heard that noise before. Wonder if the disc might damage the DVD player if I play it too long?
I get this occasionally as well. It comes and goes, and sometimes the buzzing/vibrating noise is so loud it almost drowns out the sound. I assume it's an unbalanced disc. I figure even if it's only minutely off balance, it's gonna make noise when the player spins it around thousands of times a minute. There's probably not anything you can do about it, other than replace it.

Other than the noise, I've never had any problems playing such discs. I wonder if it harms the player?
Old 12-28-08, 10:26 AM   #5
jamoctopus

If i were you i'd just go return it
Old 01-03-09, 04:56 AM   #6
sldvd

Well I just exchanged it, and the replacement disc causes the vibrating noise just like the first one did! Very strange. Perhaps they are all from the same batch of unbalanced discs?
Old 01-04-09, 11:28 AM   #7
jeffrosen
Cool New Member

Does it do it in all players? Have you tried to play it in your computer? I have had this problem with double layer discs played in my Denon, but plys the feature parts of the disc fine.
Old 01-04-09, 02:18 PM   #8
The Void
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Denon DVD-2200 player that does this on many discs, but most play fine. Other players don't vibrate on the same discs, it's the player in my case. I'm no longer using the player since I have a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player and a PS3 hooked up to my main TV.

Try the disc in other players.
Old 01-05-09, 08:12 AM   #9
Spiky
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's the player spinning faster for some reason. I'd guess poor disc formatting or file structure. This happens in all sorts of players. Esp right at first or in menus. Unless something seriously changed or it is very bad, I'd say probably normal.