Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-08, 08:09 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 175
Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

I just got the Ultimate X-Phile Edition of the X-Files: I Want to Believe.

When I put the Special Features disc into my DVD player, I heard a low humming/vibrating noise. At first I thought maybe my neighbor was outside using their air compressor. But no, the noise was coming from my DVD player. I pressed play, and the noise continued during the FBI warning, but then stopped when it showed the 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment screen. Then the noise returned when it got to the main menu, and the noise kept going when I played one of the features. The noise was still there after I stopped the DVD, and the noise finally stopped when I hit the Eject button. I put another disc in, and there was no noise. I put the Special Features disc back in, and I heard the noise again.

There must be something wrong with that disc. Perhaps the disc is somehow unbalanced? I have never heard that noise before. Wonder if the disc might damage the DVD player if I play it too long?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 08:16 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,085
I've had this happen with The Golden Compass disc (and again for the movie "August"). It sounds like a disc that's off balance or something (can't remember the technical term off the top of my head right now). Can you exchange the DVD or was it a Christmas gift?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
wd40cloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wareham, MA
Posts: 524
I've had the same problem and it only seems to occur with discs produced in the last 2 years.
__________________
Blu-Rays
DVDAf
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post
When I put the Special Features disc into my DVD player, I heard a low humming/vibrating noise. At first I thought maybe my neighbor was outside using their air compressor. But no, the noise was coming from my DVD player. I pressed play, and the noise continued during the FBI warning, but then stopped when it showed the 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment screen. Then the noise returned when it got to the main menu, and the noise kept going when I played one of the features. The noise was still there after I stopped the DVD, and the noise finally stopped when I hit the Eject button. I put another disc in, and there was no noise. I put the Special Features disc back in, and I heard the noise again.

There must be something wrong with that disc. Perhaps the disc is somehow unbalanced? I have never heard that noise before. Wonder if the disc might damage the DVD player if I play it too long?
I get this occasionally as well. It comes and goes, and sometimes the buzzing/vibrating noise is so loud it almost drowns out the sound. I assume it's an unbalanced disc. I figure even if it's only minutely off balance, it's gonna make noise when the player spins it around thousands of times a minute. There's probably not anything you can do about it, other than replace it.

Other than the noise, I've never had any problems playing such discs. I wonder if it harms the player?
__________________
RedSkull
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 10:26 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5
If i were you i'd just go return it
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 04:56 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 175
Well I just exchanged it, and the replacement disc causes the vibrating noise just like the first one did! Very strange. Perhaps they are all from the same batch of unbalanced discs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 11:28 AM   #7
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 22
Does it do it in all players? Have you tried to play it in your computer? I have had this problem with double layer discs played in my Denon, but plys the feature parts of the disc fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 02:18 PM   #8
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
The Void's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,285
I have a Denon DVD-2200 player that does this on many discs, but most play fine. Other players don't vibrate on the same discs, it's the player in my case. I'm no longer using the player since I have a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player and a PS3 hooked up to my main TV.

Try the disc in other players.
__________________
dvdaficionado
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 08:12 AM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
That's the player spinning faster for some reason. I'd guess poor disc formatting or file structure. This happens in all sorts of players. Esp right at first or in menus. Unless something seriously changed or it is very bad, I'd say probably normal.
__________________
Ignorance vs Bliss
--Wizdar
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 07:06 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

They all hum when laser reaches certain points on discs. Try not to have player stacked on top of other av equipment as their casings/cabinets only amplify the noise through reverbation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 10:06 PM   #11
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 29,097
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Interesting first post there Bing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 11:52 AM   #12
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

This may sometimes occur because the layers of the DVD were not quite glued perfectly together.

I also think that many newer DVD players and Blu-ray players are becoming so cheaply made that they tend to make noises that couldn't be heard on older players.

On my Sony Blu-ray player, I can hear the laser guides shift inside the player signifying that a chapter stop is occurring. Those types of noises were never heard on any of my older DVD players.

Last edited by orangerunner; 04-05-16 at 11:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 02:25 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Should've also said, if you have to stack player on top of other gear try cutting up a sponge into small squares & sticking the pieces (blu- tack'll do) to dvd player's rubber feet. Should work wonders. Just choose a discreet colour!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 12:56 AM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
I also think that many newer DVD players and Blu-ray players are becoming so cheaply made that they tend to make noises that couldn't be heard on older players.
I would put it this way:

Since people now buy almost exclusively cheap, garbage players, a greater number of players in people's homes are now cheap garbage.
__________________
Ignorance vs Bliss
--Wizdar
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 06:57 AM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
I would put it this way:

Since people now buy almost exclusively cheap, garbage players, a greater number of players in people's homes are now cheap garbage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 07:08 AM   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Agreed. As most people stream/download nowadays, i don't think they're prepared to spend much buying/replacing player. Manfacturers, no doubt, aware of this too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 08:58 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 24,158
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
I would put it this way:

Since people now buy almost exclusively cheap, garbage players, a greater number of players in people's homes are now cheap garbage.
There really aren't a lot of players out there, are there? All I ever see are Pannys, Sammys, and Sonys. And they're all tiny, insubstantial things.

Does anyone else still make blu ray players? LG? Toshiba?

Not sure what currently available (and easy to find) players wouldn't be considered "cheap garbage" outside of Oppo.
__________________
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-07-16 at 02:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:11 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 938
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

I have also noticed this humming/vibrating noise on my computer dvd drives. (Not just my standalone dvd players).

This highly "amplified" humming/vibrating noise typically happens when my computer dvd drive is reading a poorly manufactured dvd disc at a very slow speed.


I think what is happening here, is the combination of the poor quality dvd disc construction and the mechanical structure of the computer dvd drive, are coincidentally hitting the mechanical resonance frequency of the combination while the disc is spinning at a slow speed. (At higher disc speeds, the mechanical resonance is not being hit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_resonance
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:38 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 24,158
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Interesting idea about mechanical resonance.

I'd almost be inclined to think it's because everything is getting smaller and is made of lighter materials that don't dampen out the noise as much as larger, heavier drives.

I've noticed that blu-ray also tends to be noisier than DVD. I have a Toshiba that sounds like it's grinding up my discs when I'm switching between menus, skipping chapters, or viewing special features. Other players do this to an extent, but this one is loud.
__________________
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 03:06 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 938
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
There really aren't a lot of players out there, are there? All I ever see are Pannys, Sammys, and Sonys. And they're all tiny, insubstantial things.

Does anyone else still make blu ray players? LG? Toshiba?

Not sure what currently available (and easy to find) players wouldn't be considered "cheap garbage" outside of Oppo.
(On a tangent).

It's even worse in the computer bd drive world.

For external bd drives, there's still LG, Sammy, and Pioneer currently making new bd drives.


For non-slim internal bluray drives, in practice there's only really one manufacturer left who is still making new bd drives: LG.

Just about everybody else has already exited the non-slim internal bd drive market. (ie. LiteOn, Sammy, Pioneer, Plextor, Sony, etc ...).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 03:25 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 938
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post
I just got the Ultimate X-Phile Edition of the X-Files: I Want to Believe.

When I put the Special Features disc into my DVD player, I heard a low humming/vibrating noise. At first I thought maybe my neighbor was outside using their air compressor. But no, the noise was coming from my DVD player. I pressed play, and the noise continued during the FBI warning, but then stopped when it showed the 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment screen. Then the noise returned when it got to the main menu, and the noise kept going when I played one of the features. The noise was still there after I stopped the DVD, and the noise finally stopped when I hit the Eject button. I put another disc in, and there was no noise. I put the Special Features disc back in, and I heard the noise again.

There must be something wrong with that disc. Perhaps the disc is somehow unbalanced? I have never heard that noise before. Wonder if the disc might damage the DVD player if I play it too long?
Case in point.

I have two copies of the "X-Files: I Want To Believe" dvd. I believe both copies were not manufactured very well.

On my older computer dvd drives, this particular X-Files movie dvd disc could only be played at a slower speed. When played at this slower speed, the amplified humming/vibrating noises was there upfront and very loud.

In contrast on my newer computer dvd drives (ie. new drives manufactured in late 2015), this same X-Files movie dvd disc could be played at the top maximum speed of the drive. The humming/vibrating noise was completely absent.

(Some newer computer dvd drives might be designed slightly better at reading problematic dvd discs).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 03:28 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 938
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I have a Toshiba that sounds like it's grinding up my discs when I'm switching between menus, skipping chapters, or viewing special features. Other players do this to an extent, but this one is loud.
Sounds like my Toshiba bluray player too. Very noisy on some discs.

My Sony bluray player isn't quite as noisy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 11:27 AM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 5,549
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

When someone attributes this noise to poorly manufactured discs, is it because the discs may not be balanced properly? Meaning one side of the disc may be heavier than the other? The only time I remember hearing a noticeably louder hum is when I would play discs from the local rental place that had stickers on the label side, usually at about 6 oclock.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 07:05 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 938
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
When someone attributes this noise to poorly manufactured discs, is it because the discs may not be balanced properly? Meaning one side of the disc may be heavier than the other? The only time I remember hearing a noticeably louder hum is when I would play discs from the local rental place that had stickers on the label side, usually at about 6 oclock.
The vast majority of former rental discs I have, will play at the top maximum speed on the computer dvd drive. Even ones with stickers on the label side, and/or are heavily scratched up. Typically these are titles released by the big movie companies like Universal, Disney/Buena Vista, Warner, Fox, Paramount, Sony, etc ...


On the other hand, the dvd discs I have which always play with a loud humming/vibrating noise, are typically titles released by several less popular and/or "bottom feeder" movie companies. These particular discs will only play at a lower speed on the computer dvd drive, regardless of whether they were purchased brand new or second-handed.

The primary reason a computer dvd drive forces a dvd disc to be played at a significantly slower speed, is when it takes too many re-reads to get an error-free sector.

Last edited by morriscroy; 05-08-16 at 07:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 04:38 AM   #25
Member
 
CrazyMat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 150
Re: Low humming/vibrating noise from DVD player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Sounds like my Toshiba bluray player too. Very noisy on some discs.

My Sony bluray player isn't quite as noisy.
I have a Vizio and it is very noisy on all disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
I think what is happening here, is the combination of the poor quality dvd disc construction and the mechanical structure of the computer dvd drive, are coincidentally hitting the mechanical resonance frequency of the combination while the disc is spinning at a slow speed. (At higher disc speeds, the mechanical resonance is not being hit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_resonance
I had one disc that vibrated my whole laptop when I put it in but worked fined in another regular drive. I've seen a few others do this but that one in particular was the worst.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0