Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice on Onkyo 605 vs 705

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-14-08, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current setup:

Plans: Looking to upgrade the receiver and get rid of the switch. Upgrade the speakers later in the year or early 2009. Looking to upgrade to a 52-60" TV mid-late 2009. Once that is done, the 32" LCD is moving to the bedroom with the HTITB and the 360. At that point the A30 will probably take the 360's place in the living room.

Goals: Would like to have at least two HDMI inputs to cover the DVR and PS3 as well as at least one HD capable component input for the 360. Ideally enough inputs to cover future expansion of my HT. I'm not sure if it's possible but until the TV is replaced, I would still like to run everything through the receiver and then into the TV via either component or HDMI>DVI adaptor.

Budget: An absolute maximum of $600 including all taxes and shipping.

Feel free to make suggestions for receivers other than those in the title.

Last edited by jpb07; 06-14-08 at 12:17 AM.
                  Old 06-14-08, 04:59 AM

I recommend you get another $50 and add it to the $600 because over at Vanns you can get the 805 for $650, no tax... I know I love mine! THX Ultra2, DTS-HD, TrueHD you can't go wrong...
                  Old 06-14-08, 07:08 AM
                  DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
                  You don't mention what speakers you have (unless I missed it). Why not upgrade speakers now and wait on receiver?

Good speakers don't need upgrading. However in 2-3 years when you upgrade everything else, there will have been significant changes in receivers. Maybe more HDMI inputs, maybe prices dropping, maybe handling the newest audio for 1/2 the price.

If you need a quality video switcher you can pick up a monoprice HDMI switcher for $50 or so that could carry you through till you do upgrade receivers. Besides speakers will give you more of an immediate impact on sound quality.
                  Old 06-14-08, 07:36 AM
                  DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
                  Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
                  You should definitely replace the 605 with the new 606 (four HDMI inputs and apparently the glitches in the 605 have been fixed) in your comparison. And the 705 (three HDMI inputs but in other ways superior to the 600 series) is only a little more than the 606 at present (on sale for only $499 with free shipping at J&R) so it should be strongly considered.

See this comparison page:

http://www.onkyousa.com/products_compare.cfm
                  Old 06-15-08, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
                  You don't mention what speakers you have (unless I missed it). Why not upgrade speakers now and wait on receiver?

Good speakers don't need upgrading. However in 2-3 years when you upgrade everything else, there will have been significant changes in receivers. Maybe more HDMI inputs, maybe prices dropping, maybe handling the newest audio for 1/2 the price.

If you need a quality video switcher you can pick up a monoprice HDMI switcher for $50 or so that could carry you through till you do upgrade receivers. Besides speakers will give you more of an immediate impact on sound quality.
                  I'm still using the same Sony speakers/subwoofer that came with the receiver in the HTITB. The SW is about 12x14x14" and the rest of the speakers are roughly 4x2.5x4".

I've basically got a list of priorities/steps for overhauling my HT. Right now, I'd like to put in the new receiver first mainly because the built-in switching is my biggest need right now. The one area that I could see immediately upgrading is my center speaker. If I were to upgrade the speakers first, I'd have to throw away money towards another external switch that would be used for only a year or two. I've watched the 705 drop in price and I know the HDMI is 1.3 so I should be fine there. I'm not going to be upgrading HD-DVD, PS-3/BR, or my DVR for years. To give you some idea...the receiver/speakers are 7 years old, the HDTV is 3 years old, and everything else has been purchased in the past 18 months.

Prior to my last receiver upgrade I had a setup of a Sony Pro-Logic receiver, Cerwin-Vega VE15F (not sure if the model number changed or not...some setup as what I had though) fronts, and KLH Center/Surround(8x4x4) that was purchased back in Spring '97. Had to trade this setup after getting married for living room furniture.
                  Old 06-15-08, 12:00 PM
                  DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
                  Well it sounds like you have thought it through and that is good.

I still think upgrading your speakers would have a bigger immediate impact. Nothing effects the sound of your system like speakers. You can find many, many $10,000+ speaker systems and they all sound different. Saying that doesn't mean you need to spend that much, just upgrading away from Sony speakers would make a significant impact on results rather then convenience (switching).

But to each their own. And different people have different priorities and things that are important to them. and I'm glad you have carefully thought things thru and are going with a plan.
                  Old 06-15-08, 06:34 PM
                  DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
                  Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
                  Just thought I'd mention that this is the last day for the Onkyo 705 being $499 at J&R.
                  Old 06-17-08, 07:58 PM
                  DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
                  The Onkyo TX-SR606 has dropped to $387.75 on Amazon.com. Might be time for me to sale my 605.
                  Old 06-18-08, 05:31 PM
                  DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
                  Originally Posted by kahuna
                  The Onkyo TX-SR606 has dropped to $387.75 on Amazon.com. Might be time for me to sale my 605.
                  Dropped to $385. I bit the bullet and bought the damn thing, even though I have a perfectly capable Panasonic receiver and wanted to pay down my credit card. I'll consider it a reward for going another year without taking a sick day.
                  Old 06-23-08, 11:04 AM
                  DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
                  I want the Onkyo 606 also, but I may wait a bit longer....need to save some cash right now. Seems like a nice price.