Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP! Bulb replacement in Sony LCD Projection TV

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-18-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the bulb in my Sony LCD Projection TV and now there's faint pinkness in the top left corner and bottom right corner. This must be bulb related as its most noticeable when the TV is black and and white. Please tell me this is something that may just go away and that I don't need to reinstall the bulb. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-08, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of years ago my parents have a Sony 50-52" proj. lcd and had to replace the lamp less than a year after they bought it. It was covered under the Sony warranty. When it arrived, I installed it. I never saw anything wrong in B&W.

Just about 2 months ago my mom called and wanted me to look at their tv. I noticed that there was a pink and green tinted areas on the screen, especially in B&W. They have the 4 year extended warranty from Circuit City and called them to repair it. The tech found one of the boards had gone bad and replaced it. He said that it was a common problem with the older boards and if they didn't have the extra warranty coverage, that it would've cost $600 to repair.

I hope your problem is just the lamp and not that board.

Last edited by WOWZY; 04-21-08 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
I bought a Sony Wega 55" in 2006 and in the last 2 days the picture is not at bright and vibrant as it was just 6 days ago

I did not alter or change the picture settings on the TV

does this mean I might need to buy a new lamp?
Old 09-20-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious what the signs are for a new bulb also. I have an extended warranty that covers this, and I just was curious. I have a Sony KDS-60A2020. The picture is fine now, but I was always curious if there is signs or if it just dies.
Old 09-20-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do these TVs have a lamp timer? They ought to tell you how many hours the lamp has been used. The lamps have a known lifespan, so looking at the timer should be pretty self-explanatory.

I wouldn't think pink in the corners could be the lamp itself. It's just a powerful light bulb, really. It can't make one side a different color.
Old 09-20-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, and generally lamps get dimmer over time, just a little. And they may start flickering more often when near the end.
Old 09-29-08, 11:01 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best Buy warranty was awesome. My bulb flickered once so i called just to get my name in because i figured it could be weeks to get a replacement. They sent a guy 2 days later who came and installed a new bulb. Definitely worth the warranty for something like this!