Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What do you think of those SOUND SYSTEMS with just a SUBWOOFER and a SOUNDBAR?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi:

What do you guys think of those Bose/other systems where it's just a SUBWOOFER and a single "SOUNDBAR" or single speaker that offers surround sound, but without all the messy wires, clutter, etc.?

Do you truly get the same SURROUND SOUND effect without the extra rear/front speakers?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you truly get the same SURROUND SOUND effect without the extra rear/front speakers?
I do not believe so. You may feel otherwise after listening to them.

IMHO the appeal of less cable and speakers is the appeal rather than the sound quality.
Old 04-23-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
No, you do not.
Old 04-23-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends on room dynamics with the sound bars. At CES'06, I got to listen to the Yamaha one in the booth they had set up with a full THX Ultra receiver and such, and it was fantastic - just one of the sound bars and a sub. I even cycled through the 'speaker test', where it sends sound to one specific speaker, and I could have sworn there were speakers behind me, and there weren't.

That said, I'm pretty sure if I A-B test something like that, I'd like the separate speakers better. But there is a chance that a higher end soundbar would be much better. It's all in directional sound...and if you're watching in, say an open room that leads to a dining room which leads to the hall etc...it's not going to be as effective as something a bit more contained.

And fuck Bose...
Old 04-23-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You really need a perfectly shaped room for this thing. You could also hide the wires, erasing the one benefit of the speaker bar.

Course, get the perfect sub and your opinion of everything will improve. Hint: it has a 13" driver.
Old 04-24-08, 07:28 AM

Sound and Vision mag recently reviewed (Apr 2008 issue) 7 soundbars. I have a Yamaha ysp-4000 and you can read the review here.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...000-page6.html

Personally, I like mine. I think the sound quality is excellent. I have never owned any expensive speakers before (the last speakers I owned were infinity reference series...can't think of the actual model number), but I think my yamaha works great evne though my living room is not a perfectly shaped.
Old 04-24-08, 03:27 PM

Sildenafil can correct me if I'm wrong, but a coworker has one and he told me it works great if you're at the sweet spot. After calibration, there's one spot that will experience (virtual) surround sound, and if you move your head a foot to the left or right, there's nothing.

I believe it's a very good alternative to television speakers and looks nice. It's also a nice space saver for people who can't fit speakers into their decor.
Old 04-24-08, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by pat00139
Sildenafil can correct me if I'm wrong, but a coworker has one and he told me it works great if you're at the sweet spot. After calibration, there's one spot that will experience (virtual) surround sound, and if you move your head a foot to the left or right, there's nothing.

I believe it's a very good alternative to television speakers and looks nice. It's also a nice space saver for people who can't fit speakers into their decor.

Hmm...I guess that's true. I almost always sit exact same spot to watch TV. I guess most of my guests don't care too much about the surround sound, so they have never said anything. But, isn't this true for any surround sound systems? I had a 6.1 set up at my old place, and I had to sit in the middle of the room to "fully" enjoy my set up. Then again, I am easy to please :P
Old 04-25-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on how well the room and setup work together.
Old 04-26-08, 07:30 AM

Some speakers, like the Tannoy Arena series, have a very wide dispersion field, so as long as the speaker is placed your general direction, there shouldn't be any real problems. I guess you're right, as some setups are pretty restrictive. As long as the speakers are decent, there shouldn't be any real placement problems, as long as the speakers more or less point towards the seating area.
Old 07-17-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the YSP 4000 and have had it about a week, I like it. You lose some surround but its worth it in my room and not having to deal with wires.