Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TV Help! (need to pick one)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to purchase a TV to replace my current one (Hitachi 55 RPTV - S1S500). Here are my two options..

Mitsubishi WD-73733 73" 1080p DLP HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-...5798229&sr=1-9

The main con of that is the bulb replacement and maybe the rainbow effect. How often should I expect to replace the bulbs? The good thing about that TV is the size. The size is just...dreamy.

The other I'm looking at is.

Samsung HLT6187SAX 61" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT618...5798229&sr=1-1

I love the fact that it is LED and no bulb replacement. Not so wild on the size tho', as I just don't see going from 55 to 61 as a significant step.

What'cha think? Anyone own either set? Opinions, please.
Old 03-17-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
If your going that big have you considered a projector? For that kind of money you could get an excellent 100"+ image.

If not and those are your only two choices, then I guess it depends on what you want in a set. If you want as close to a home theater experience as possible, then get the bigger on. If you are looking for the sharpest picture I'd probably go with the Samsung.
Old 03-17-08, 08:47 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I'm about to purchase a TV to replace my current one (Hitachi 55 RPTV - S1S500). Here are my two options..

Mitsubishi WD-73733 73" 1080p DLP HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-...5798229&sr=1-9

The main con of that is the bulb replacement and maybe the rainbow effect. How often should I expect to replace the bulbs? The good thing about that TV is the size. The size is just...dreamy.

The other I'm looking at is.

Samsung HLT6187SAX 61" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT618...5798229&sr=1-1

I love the fact that it is LED and no bulb replacement. Not so wild on the size tho', as I just don't see going from 55 to 61 as a significant step.

What'cha think? Anyone own either set? Opinions, please.
I have the 56" Samsung LED HLT5687S, and I absolutely love it.
Old 03-18-08, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
If your going that big have you considered a projector? For that kind of money you could get an excellent 100"+ image.

If not and those are your only two choices, then I guess it depends on what you want in a set. If you want as close to a home theater experience as possible, then get the bigger on. If you are looking for the sharpest picture I'd probably go with the Samsung.
Most certainly no room for a 100+ image. It's an apartment. I'll have to move some stuff around just to fit the 73.

I think I would rather have better picture quality as opposed to size, so I'm leaning towards the Samsung. I'm just having a real hard time passing up 73 inches of screen.
Old 03-18-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Well, my 100" was an example. I made my own screen and made it 94" I think (or maybe 97"). You could may an 82" screen or anything you want. Hard to believe you have the space for a 73" REAR PROJECTION TV and not the room for a screen that hangs flat on the wall.

But if you sure....

I'm a big Samsung fan. I just bought a 46" flat panel LCD for the living room. I'm pleased it with but still wish I would have gone plasma or DLP. I can't seem to get the "digital look" out of it. Oh it is bright and sharp. But not as good of black levels.

And don't get me wrong. I don't think the Mit has a "bad" picture. We are probably splitting hairs. And if you do want something that big, you may be disappointed in the Samsung. It is very hard to get past "size". Many people prefer a bigger image then a smaller one with a better overall pic.
Old 03-18-08, 02:42 PM

Well, my 100" was an example. I made my own screen and made it 94" I think (or maybe 97"). You could may an 82" screen or anything you want. Hard to believe you have the space for a 73" REAR PROJECTION TV and not the room for a screen that hangs flat on the wall.
Not so much the room size (that is an issue), but the fact there is no way to to block out the light. The room has three windows and the wife won't let me block out light out of the living room totally. I also don't have a place to mount the projector. We are living in an apartment and I really don't want to make holes and what not in it, especially when we are planning on moving end of this year.

I think I'll just go ahead and get the Samsung. It's cheaper, no bulb replacement and I don't need to worry about the "rainbow effect". I'd love to have something bigger, but simply doing a pro's / con's list shows me that I should get the Samsung, I guess.

Damn TV hunting.
Old 03-18-08, 03:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Not so much the room size (that is an issue), but the fact there is no way to to block out the light. The room has three windows and the wife won't let me block out light out of the living room totally. I also don't have a place to mount the projector. We are living in an apartment and I really don't want to make holes and what not in it, especially when we are planning on moving end of this year.

I think I'll just go ahead and get the Samsung. It's cheaper, no bulb replacement and I don't need to worry about the "rainbow effect". I'd love to have something bigger, but simply doing a pro's / con's list shows me that I should get the Samsung, I guess.

Damn TV hunting.

gee, don't be too excited.. you sound like someone just ran over your dog.
Old 03-22-08, 07:00 PM

I went with the 61 Samsung LED DLP.
Ordered it, matching stand and a few other things.

New TV time.
Woot!