Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Volume problem w/Sharp Blu Ray player and Sharp flat screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a new Sharp Aquos 42" flat screen and a Sharp BDHP20U Blu Ray player. Here's my dilemma - using the flat screen with my cable, I get plenty of volume out of the built in speakers - even at about 1/2 of full volume. When using the Blu Ray player (via HDMI cable), the previews at the beginning of the discs are a much lower volume, but still acceptable when I push the volume up to around 3/4 max. The problem is that when the actual movie is started, the volume drops even more, and even when I push the volume all the way to the max on the flat screen, it is just barely acceptable - there are still spots where soft dialogue is almost inaudible. My question is how can I get the volume from the DVD/BluRay playback to come close to the volume I get from the cable signal - without having to add external amplification or additional speakers, or give up the HDMI interface? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by frippneno; 02-29-08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check in the player for DNR, dynamic range compression. Or night mode, or dialog enhancement, or some others that all mean the same thing. Turn it off, or down.
Old 02-29-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wouldn't he want the DRC to be on? Also note that it will only work on Dolby Digital tracks. You're probably out of luck when it comes to Fox and New Line titles that only offer DTS.

As far as getting it close to the cable signal, I don't know of anything you can do if you don't want to get a receiver and speakers. Some receivers now have the ability to set volume levels for different sources (though of course this won't change the previews being louder than the movie).

You could also check to see if the TV has any kind of DRC.
Old 03-03-08, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a player issue with certain discs. If you are running HDMI through TV rather than an amp. Sharp has made only roughly 2-3 firmware updates for that player.

If the player is ran HDMI direct to amp/the player passes the audio as it should.
Old 03-05-08, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sharp just released an update for your player in the last couple of days. Don't know if it will fix your issue though.
Old 03-05-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Wouldn't he want the DRC to be on? Also note that it will only work on Dolby Digital tracks. You're probably out of luck when it comes to Fox and New Line titles that only offer DTS.
Yeah, you could be right, maybe turn it on for using only TV speakers.

Although nowadays players have these modes that do work on DTS. The official Dolby version only works on Dolby stuff, my receiver is like this, but new machines may not be.
Old 03-07-08, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will update the firmware.

Appreciate all your input.