Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

To go Blu now or later, that is the question..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought into HD-DVD with a Toshiba HD-A3 a few weeks before the whole thing went bellyup, but I'm not complaining.

I'm itchy to now go Blu, but with low-end players still at $400 it's a little out of my magic price point. Plus, the reviews on the low-end Sony and Samsung models are hardly glowing, especially for the price - I can put up with the minor beefs on my Toshiba HD player because it was less than $100.

The PS3 isn't really the best choice because I'm not a gamer, and I'd feel like I was buying into something I wouldn't utilize properly - as well as some issues with syncing properly with a Harmony remote. Or at least so I've read.

Is there talk of new models on the immediate horizon, or is it going to be at least a year or so? Ditto for any anticipated price drops? Any rumors of that?

Is it best to sit it out and wait for the next wave?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-26-08 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes there appear to be many new models coming that will have better features and address many of the current issues.

I am waiting for one of the new Denon players personally but I will also look at the new Panasonic and Sony models.
Old 02-26-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not really a gamer either but still went the PS3 route. It is one of the only current players that will be able to go to profile 2.0. Combine that with the media streaming and the fact that I COULD play games if I want to, it was a no brainer to me.

I play my PS3 games maybe once a month and am strictly into the EA sports games. I may pick up Rock Band soon but I am definitely NOT even close to being a gamer.

The PS3 was/is the most stable Blu-ray player on the market so even if you dont use it for gaming, it is a great purchase.

Now if someone had a receiver they didnt want to part with that didnt decode the HD audio and needed to have analog outputs on their player, I would recommend a different direction.
Old 02-26-08, 09:58 AM

That all depends - would you prefer to watch Blu now or later?

FYI - I picked up this remote at GameStop, and it works great with my PS3 and Harmony remote: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-...4041360&sr=8-2

It doesn't provide the number of functions that the Sony PS3 remote does, but it's pretty rare when watching a movie that I use anything other that Play/Pause/Stop/Arrow Keys/Select.
Old 02-26-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm waiting. There are enough HD DVD bargains to satisfy my high-def desires for now.
Old 02-26-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It'll probably be a long time (Christmas or next year) before a standalone player is as good a Blu player as the PS3 for less money.
Old 02-26-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Plus, the reviews on the low-end Sony and Samsung models are hardly glowing, especially for the price
But the reviews for the Panasonic DMP-BD30 are generally glowing. I've had the player for a few weeks now and have nothing but positive things to say about it. The video and audio quality are outstanding. The only downside for some people is that it has no onboard audio decoding.

If you look around or wait for a sale, you can pick it up pretty easily for $399. I've seen it online for as low as $365.
Old 02-26-08, 05:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just Blu myself.
Old 02-26-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I just Blu myself.
There has to be a better way to say that.

I vote "wait". I am perfectly happy with my sub-$200 HD DVD player and $50 360 add-on. I won't be getting into Blu-ray until I can get a good player for $200 as well.

There is a possibility I'll get a PS3 sooner than that, but I still don't like the idea of using my gaming machine as a movie player (and being forced to pay for that feature).

So right now I'm out until prices get to $200, so I'm figuring that will be at least a year if not longer.
Old 02-26-08, 08:30 PM

I got a 40GB PS3 as a gift last Friday (set it up yesterday), and I'm very satisfied with it. I've only bought 2 Blu-ray discs so far, but I've surprisingly been playing games on it. I only have Virtua Fighter 5 (free with the PS3; it wasn't inside the box like the Motorstorm package was, it was just a thing where if you got the PS3 you got the game for free), Ratatouille, NBA 08, and NHL 2K8 (got 2K8 today), but I have a friend (who's in a wheelchair) who really likes video games and I've been playing him online in the afternoons. Before I got the PS3, I haven't played video games in my house since at least 2006. I usually only like sports and fighting games because shooting games and other kinds of games usually get me very frustrated.

I know you say you're not a gamer (I'm not one either), but you might find yourself playing video games every once and awhile if you bought a PS3 as a Blu-ray disc player.
Old 02-28-08, 05:37 PM

I second Draven's vote to "WAIT". I'm very happy with my A35 which I got for $160(you can get it for $150 now if your can find one) which does the "lossless" audio(with the right reciever) and does a good job with upconverting SD.
Until BD comings down to this price,I can wait. There is no movie that I have to see in HD worth me paying $399 or more and not be able to listen to it in "lossless"audio. Well now that I think of it I "might" and I mean might consider it for The Lord of Rings Triogy ) .
Here my take on this,if we all start to go out and buy Bd players at the prices they are now......why would Sony or others bring the prices down. It's a business to make money....if I was them I wouldn't. If anything I would raise the prices of the new players and say it's because of the new 2.0 series(if they are going to have it on them). It's not like we can say ok forget you I'm gonna go with HD HVD, anymore.
If we wait then I think they would get the point,lower your prices or we are not buying! This is just my opinion.
Old 02-28-08, 07:33 PM

me too. this whole profile 2.0 thing. Is there going to be a 3.0, 4.0,,,, n.0. How many times will I have to buy a blu ray player.
Old 02-29-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eb3604
me too. this whole profile 2.0 thing. Is there going to be a 3.0, 4.0,,,, n.0. How many times will I have to buy a blu ray player.
Profile 2.0 is going to be it and even that will be optional. Profile 1.1 is the final required spec.
Old 02-29-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The PS3 is coming out with a new bundle that will have 3 bluray movies. I think it might be next month.

Oh yeah the movies are free. I think this is the one with rumble remote.
Old 02-29-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The PS3 is coming out with a new bundle that will have 3 bluray movies. I think it might be next month.

Oh yeah the movies are free. I think this is the one with rumble remote.
Link?

I'd be most interested in price. I can't believe they would sell this bundle for the same price as their current offerings. If it's true, I wouldn't be surprised by a $50-75 price increase per SKU, depending on if they offer it with different hard drive sizes.
Old 02-29-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
I'd recommend a PS3 even if your not a gamer. FW updates are super easy (much easier then on my A-3's). I've had the PS3 since 11/06 and other then the remote issue, love it.

Also, tho my kids play games, I don't. But I have started getting into the media center thing. Added some music and photos.

Lastly it is an excellent PS3 player. Getting much better reviews then the one's you mention, so why hold that it plays games against it.
Old 03-01-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Link?

I'd be most interested in price. I can't believe they would sell this bundle for the same price as their current offerings. If it's true, I wouldn't be surprised by a $50-75 price increase per SKU, depending on if they offer it with different hard drive sizes.
It might just be Europe
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/e...mo-blu-ray-mo/
Old 03-01-08, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Lastly it is an excellent PS3 player. Getting much better reviews then the one's you mention, so why hold that it plays games against it.
It better be an excellent PS3 player.
Old 03-01-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
It better be an excellent PS3 player.
LOL...of course I meant it is an excellent BD player!

Since it gets better reviews then almost every stand alone player in it's price, just ignore that it plays games as well.

Now one thing to be aware of, it does not have analog audio outs. But I'm thinking many cheaper stand alones don't either.