Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Playstation 2 480i looks better than 480p? On 26

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I have a PS2 hooked up with Monster Component Cables (stereo sound, not digital out) and a 26" LG HDTV LCD (supports 1080i and 720p for HD). I have tried playing games on 480p with it, but I think it looks worse than 480i- there looks some kind of "screen filter" when you're on 480p, text looks worse and more pixelated, graphics arguably look worse as well. For the filter effect, imagine you're looking at the game through a screen door (you know, the things that keep flies out during the summer).

The thing is, I have a XBox hooked up to the same tv, also using Monster Cables, and it has no issue with 480p. And definitely when you go up to 720p (X-Men Legends, Justice League Heroes) it looks a lot better than 480p.

Yet in Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2, I am not sure 1080i looks better than 480. Even PS2 text menu's in 480p always look worse than text on the Xbox. Even switched cable ports on the tv (between XBox and PS2) to see if it was a faulty connection, no change. Is this normal? (Using Slim PS2 btw)

For the PS2, tried GH3, GH2, Rock Band, in 480p they all arguably look no better or worse than with 480i.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if my LCD TV is being hit by the screen door effect, why is 480p affected when it should be the same resolution as 480i, just not interleaved. And why would XBox games on 480P and 720P look fine, but PS2 games on 480P be jacked up.

Since we can do process of elimination, it shouldn't be the tv, shouldn't be the cable ports (tried switching), am I left with the cable?

Does it make sense that 480i would be fine but 480p be crap with the cable?

Kind of wish for a magical solution because I'm in Vietnam right now (for a long time), not so easy to get good cables from a monoprice or something.
Old 02-24-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First, your TV is no doubt 720p or close. "Supports 1080i" just means it can accept it. You probably want to avoid upconverting from 480 to 1080, back down to 720.

Next, you left something out in your process of elimination: The PS2. It is an old 480i gaming system, and progressive output wasn't high on the list of ideas. Were the games encoded in i or p? I'm not sure. My Gamecube has similar issues with its component output. The only one from back then that actually looks decent with upgraded output is the Dreamcast. (and that is even older than the PS2)
Old 02-25-08, 08:29 AM

Hi Spiky,
You are right about the TV being 720P, well, I'm fairly certain it is. I was under the impression basically all LCDs were 720p.

Some games, like Rock Band or Guitar Hero 2/3 support progressive (480p), many others do not, but in general 480i does not look worse than 480p on the PS2, for me, anyway.

Interesting you bring up the PS2, I had not thought of that. I suppose you just hear everyone say, PS2 in progressive, especially GT4 is spectacular, so you assume that 480p can never be worse than 480i.
Old 02-25-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many people say many things about video game machines, some of them are exaggerated, some are wrong. Now, I'm not saying the PS2 is good or bad, but I think there's lots of room for inaccuracy in user reports from teenagers.
Old 02-25-08, 08:02 PM

Thanks Spiky,
You're right. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 02-26-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, there weren't a whole lot of games for the PS2 that were progressive. Also, you have to specifically enable it, in case you didn't know.

See the list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ith_HD_support

It says "HD support" but it's really a list of games with progressive scan support, and in some cases, HD.
Old 02-27-08, 11:25 AM

Thanks Drexl, that helps.

Unfortunately for me the issue isn't with 480i games, but with the games that do support 480p, they look worse in 480p than 480i.