Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New panny plasma. Burn in question. .

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 42pz700u. Got it home with the Wii and PS3 and testing some things out. Now I find it funny azon and some other places refer to it as 1080p but I swear the info on the tv said it was something by 768. So that means it should do 720 fine but not actual 1080.

Anyway, this is a panasonic 42" and it says "Viera" on the top left. maybe it's just a different tv, who knows. By my God I can tell you, this think looks even better than my 63" Toshiba 1080p TV upstairs.

I know it's because

reason 1) it's a Plasma
reason 2) It's a smaller TV, and smaller = closer pixels.

I just wanted to ask about burn in from plasma owners. The one problem I have is a few of the wii games I really like don't use the VERY right and left edge of the screen. About 1" on each side. And I've heard you want to avoid that. Is that pretty much true, and is there any way around it you can think of?

Thanks guys. I never thought I'd own a plasma. But I was in the market for an ~40" and this floor model was on sale for $1099 at Tweeters. .
Old 02-21-08, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A lot of places recommend that you use the entire screen for the first couple of hundred hours of use so that the break in is complete. I didn't do this since I use mine for games as well as movies with OARs that create black bars, and I've noticed no burn issues on my tv eand I've had it for a year and a half.
Old 02-21-08, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These newer Plasma's are truly amazing compared to the old ones (even compared to the last gen ones). On my 50pz700u (all 700u's are 1080p), I don't get any image retention even after playing a game with static images for hours or watching a sports game for hours. On my previous generation Panny I would get image retention after about 20 minutes of somewhat static images. I never got burn in on either.

Last edited by flashburn; 02-21-08 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-21-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just turn down the settings and you should be fine. I never burned mine in, I just watched normal tv, dvd's and played games.
Old 02-21-08, 07:36 AM

Plasma is pretty common for BURN-IN. You should get an LCD.

You have to run your tv for a couple hundread hours on, without any static images, and please turn the CONTRAST down.

Some nintendo WIi games are not truly 16:9 so you may need to use the TV's features to stretch the image more.

Last edited by Knives; 02-21-08 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-21-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Knives
Plasma is pretty common for BURN-IN.
That is no longer true, the newer sets are far less susceptable to any burn in. Image retention is not uncommon but lessens at the set is used.
Old 02-21-08, 07:39 AM

So, how do you prevent burn-in on your brand-new plasma TV screen?

(1) Some obvious advice: Do not leave static images on your plasma TV screen for more than an hour. Turn off your unit when you are not watching it. Do not pause DVDs for more than 20 minutes at a time.

(2) Know that plasma screens are more prone to burn-in during their first 200 hours of use. When phosphors are fresh, they burn more intensely as they are ignited. This means that relatively new plasma display TVs are prone to "ghosting", which occurs when on-screen images appear to stay on the screen belatedly. This is a function of the high intensity with which new phosphors "pop," and this phenomenon usually "washes out" on its own, as the screen displays subsequent images. Displaying a bright, or moving snow image (as with a DVD or VCR with no input) will "wash" a ghost image from the screen in most cases. Many plasma manufacturers have installed anti-burn settings, which are monotone gray or snow screen settings which recalibrate pixel intensity levels uniformly - thus eliminating any image retention (ghosting). It is a good idea to run this type of program after the first 100 hours or so.

(3) Adjust the CONTRAST setting at or below 50% on your new plasma TV. These days most plasma TVs are preset to either peak or very high contrast (also called picture setting on many TVs). This forces phosphors to glow more intensely, which decreases the length of time necessary for burn-in to occur. Our advice is to reduce the contrast setting to 50% or less for the first 200 hours of use. And, be sure to avail yourself of your plasma's anti-burn-in features.

(4) Some plasma televisions burn-in more easily than others. In my experience, AliS type panels -- the ones utilized by Hitachi and Fujistu -- seem more readily given over to problems with burn-in. As well, be more wary of the 2nd and 3rd tier brands as their technology is usually not as up to date as some of the better 1st tier brands.

(5) When displaying video games and other content which have static images, use your burn-in protection features like power management settings, full-time picture shift (both vertical and horizontal), and automatic screen-saver functions. Check your Owner's Manual for further information.

(6) Realize that quality matters with burn-in as with everything else. Purchase a plasma display that has really good scaling, so that you can watch 4:3 TV programs in widescreen comfortably. It is better not to display black bars on your TV screen for prolonged periods of time (especially in the first 200 hours), so you are probably better off watching most everything in "full screen" mode. This should not be much of a problem todays selection of widescreen HDTV and DVDT content.

Also, higher quality TVs tend to be more resistant to burn-in -- though not entirely immune to it. Of the plasma displays I've owned and/or tested extensively, NEC, Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic seemed least prone to burn-in once the plasma screen was properly broken in.

Note: There are some applications which are simply not well suited to plasma display technology. The static flight schedule signage at airports, for example. It amazes me to walk into an airport and see a ruined plasma display monitor hanging from the ceiling with what is obviously an extreme case of permanent burn- in. As LCD monitors have increased in size, they are being used to replace plasma displays in this types of setting.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...tv-burnin.html

Last edited by Knives; 02-21-08 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-21-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You have to run your tv for a couple hundread hours on, without any static images, and please turn the CONTRAST down.

Some nintendo WIi games are not truly 16:9 so you may need to use the TV's features to stretch the image more.

yeah man. thanks for taking the time machine back to 2003 and responding to his post.

plasma isnt common for burn-in anymore, especially models from Panasonic and Pioneer.

why dont you tell him his plasma is only going to last him 4 years before he needs to buy a new one?
Old 02-21-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bottom Line on Burn-In

Plasma TV burn-in is not an issue that should cause undue concern in the average user. With a modicum of caution, most plasma TVs will probably never have a problem with image retention. A viewer may experience temporary ghosting, but this is not cause for alarm.
This was at the bottom of the article, not sure why you left it off from the original cut and paste.

Old 02-21-08, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
This was at the bottom of the article, not sure why you left it off from the original cut and paste.

Because that wouldn't support his argument. This guy is nothing more than a thread crapper who gives out false information.

He has been warned by the mods to stop his threadcrapping and he brings nothing to the table.
Old 02-21-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey

why dont you tell him his plasma is only going to last him 4 years before he needs to buy a new one?
I always laugh when an LCD fan uses this as a reason not to buy plasma. They will say that plasma will only last for 60,000 hours. If you ran your plasma for 15 hours a day, every day, then your plasma should last at least 11 years. Personally, I'll be ready for a new display after 11 years.
Old 02-21-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Plasma is still (way) better than LCD:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/21...s-still-better
Old 02-21-08, 10:45 AM

I have a 50px75u and I believe out of the box it's set to vivid mode. Just change that to Cinema and then callibrate it using a dvd like avia or dve. You could even get away with using the THX test patterns found on some dvds like Finding Nemo and Star Wars. There really is no problem with burn in on the new plasmas.

There might be some image retention when you first turn on the tv but goes away pretty quick. Just turn on Discovery HD or something colorful for a few seconds.
Old 02-21-08, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dkny75
I have a 50px75u and I believe out of the box it's set to vivid mode. Just change that to Cinema and then callibrate it using a dvd like avia or dve. You could even get away with using the THX test patterns found on some dvds like Finding Nemo and Star Wars. There really is no problem with burn in on the new plasmas.

There might be some image retention when you first turn on the tv but goes away pretty quick. Just turn on Discovery HD or something colorful for a few seconds.

i paused my Tivo, took a phone call and forgot the TV was still on overnight. When I shut the TV off the image was still there. 2 hours later....poof...it was gone.
Old 02-21-08, 12:14 PM

thanks guys for the input. It was a floor model which is why I got a great deal and I know it's been in use for 100-200 hours. One game in particular Dragon Quest Swords does not use the very edge, and none of my "stretch" options actually make it use the whole screen. Because of the way the game is programmed the black section IS considered part of the image.

Anyway I do notice "retention" basically a ghosting of it for a few minutes then it goes away. So you all feel as long as I limit this game to about 1 hour a day I will likely not have any permanent burn-in? (you will not be held accountable for any forthcoming statements LOL).
Old 02-21-08, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Teremei
thanks guys for the input. It was a floor model which is why I got a great deal and I know it's been in use for 100-200 hours. One game in particular Dragon Quest Swords does not use the very edge, and none of my "stretch" options actually make it use the whole screen. Because of the way the game is programmed the black section IS considered part of the image.

Anyway I do notice "retention" basically a ghosting of it for a few minutes then it goes away. So you all feel as long as I limit this game to about 1 hour a day I will likely not have any permanent burn-in? (you will not be held accountable for any forthcoming statements LOL).

thats the only problem with buying a floor model. you have no idea what the use was in store. it could have been set to torch mode the whole time.

go over to avsforum and search your model number in the plasma section. they will give you more specific advise including what the optimal settings might be for your specific set.
Old 02-21-08, 12:33 PM

oh guys, by the way. Gave me the wrong pamphlet. It's a 42px77u. Which confirms it IS a 720p. Does that change anyone's opinion about the burn in?
Old 02-21-08, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
thats the only problem with buying a floor model. you have no idea what the use was in store. it could have been set to torch mode the whole time.

go over to avsforum and search your model number in the plasma section. they will give you more specific advise including what the optimal settings might be for your specific set.
Ah I trust the guys that work there. Anyway now that I know my actual model # I'll do that. Thanks! The problem with results on avs is that sure you'll get results but sometimes not particular disscussions you want for that model. In my case burn-in.
Old 02-21-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh guys, by the way. Gave me the wrong pamphlet. It's a 42px77u. Which confirms it IS a 720p. Does that change anyone's opinion about the burn in?
I have the exact same tv and love it. Both my son and I have played Xbox 360 for over 5 hours straight and never had any problems, I watch Direct TV as well.

Finally the term "burn-in" is not really relevant with the newer sets.

http://www.plasmadisplaycoalition.org/results/image.php
Old 02-21-08, 07:46 PM

Yay I found someone who has my TV. Brian do you notice image retention or what I would call "temporary burn in" after displaying something with a solid icon (or black bars)?

Because mine will do that but fade away after a few minutes. is that just normal on this model?
Old 02-21-08, 07:53 PM
Banned

You are wrong in every thread you post in. Please stop it.
Old 02-21-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just finished the break-in for a Panny 42PX75. Out of curiosity, I would love to know the settings that others are using. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-08, 09:08 PM

Break in usually is low brightness and contrast right? And should be about 200 hours of viewing. Or am I totally wrong on this one?
Old 02-22-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay I found someone who has my TV. Brian do you notice image retention or what I would call "temporary burn in" after displaying something with a solid icon (or black bars)?

Because mine will do that but fade away after a few minutes. is that just normal on this model?
It will likely lessen with time, I rarely have any retention on any type of programming anymore.
Old 02-25-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Break in usually is low brightness and contrast right? And should be about 200 hours of viewing. Or am I totally wrong on this one?
I have the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK model. I did the usual low levels on everything for around 200 hours. I still have occasionally some bright objects like icons having IR when I turn the TV off immediately afterward--but this even happens with CRT televisions to some extent.

And I second the difference in quality. These plasmas, even at 1366 x 768, are amazing and can stand against many other HDTVs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.