Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is the best place to buy HT Accessories?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm really going to start building that HT room that I've wanted to start.

I don't have the HDTV, HD box, Blu-ray (PS3), etc. work has to be done to the room before I can buy all of the A/V equipment. I have to rip the paneling off the walls, paint, and get the HT accessories.

I just wanted to know what site you guys buy your HT Accessories from. Keep in mind I'm Canadian and I need it shipped to Canada. Do any places except money orders or checks? It doesn't really matter; I'll use a reloadable credit card if I have too.

I've read through the HT Accessories list thread (a lot of dead links) and have seen some good sites, but I'd really like a to buy from the best site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Well there is no one site best for everything. It also depends on what you mean by "accessories". I buy a lot of my accessories (room decorations, curtains, signs) from non traditional places like Toy stores, Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, Linens and Things, Target, Walmart, etc. I tray to stay on a budget and try to be creative in what I use and what I can make myself. For example instead of buying $50 Dolby or DTS signs, I downloaded hi res images off the net (google), modified in MS Paint and burned to CD. Then took that to Target and printed 8X10 in their photo department ($3 I think) and then bought matching document frames from Target for like $6 each. Turned out nice and was cheap.

Also bought "theater curtains" from BBB with their good prices and a 20% off coupon.

If you mean equipment well it really depends. I've bought a lot from Amazon, One Call, Best Buy, Ebay, Direct from Harmon Kardon, Monoprice and Home Depot/Lowes (speaker wire parts to build a pj mount and screen). Of course you want a reputable place, but I look for good prices as I do a lot of research on my own and know what I want. If you need assistance then I'd look to like One Call, good prices and very knowledgeable.
Old 02-16-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the link at the top of this forum
Old 02-18-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first thing you need is a good plan if you are building out a dedicated room. A place for the equipment and a solid equipment list is where I'd start, followed by decor decisions.

This is all before buying a single thing.