Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Adding a 6th discreet channel, should the speakers match?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A thought just came to mind and I was curious about how much of a difference a 6th channel (making my set up 6.1) would make. And how should I go about it?

I have the Polk Audio RM6750 six-piece 5.1 system hooked up to a Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 receiver.
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...creens/rm6750/

It comes with a sub, a Polk RM6752 center speaker and 4 RM6751s for the others. Should I get another center speaker (the RM6752) and place it behind me or should I get a single satellite speaker (RM6751)? Should I go with another brand all together?
Old 02-17-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would get another pair of the surrounds and use them in a 7.1 setup. You probably can't buy a single matching speaker anyway. Even in a setup with 6.1 channels, having a pair of surround back speakers is supposed to be better than one (not sure why though). However, with Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing, which IMHO is a must to make 7.1 worth it, you'd get a stereo signal sent to the surround back speakers.

You wouldn't want a different brand, since otherwise they wouldn't be tonally matched.
Old 02-18-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
I have 6.1 and to be honest, I'm not overly excited about it compared to when I had 5.1. But I had the extra speaker so I went for it. It's not bad. But to me it is more different then better.

I have yet another extra speaker so one of these days I'm make a 7.1. Probably the same time I upgrade receivers. Maybe...