Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HD cable: HDMI or Component?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I just switched to Comcast for my HD programming, and connected the Motorola HD-DVR box to my new 50" plasma via an HDMI cable.

The HD pic quality is excellent, but I've already experienced the "green screen" problem (as well as some video "noise") when scrolling through channels, which a little Google searching revealed to be an apparently known periodic problem of the Comcast HD-DVR boxes and HDMI outputs.

Suggestions to eliminate the problem indicate switching to component output, but I thought the only way to get the 'best' HD signal was with HDMI. Or am I wrong about that?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 01-30-08 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-30-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Broadcasts are only 720p/1080i so you dont necessarily NEED an HDMI connection.
Old 01-30-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use an HDMI cable from my set top box to the TV to reduce cables, but noticed little (if any) improvement from the component cables I was using. Component output would definitely be less annoying then a recurring handshake problem.
Old 01-30-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They send the same signals, the only difference might be in video processing. The most likely problem would be a bit of degradation from the extra conversions with component. The other side of the coin is that most sat/cable boxes are shit for quality, anyway. So HDMI isn't going to be much better. I can't tell the difference on mine. I have HDTivo from DirecTV.
Old 02-01-08, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I use an HDMI cable from my set top box to the TV to reduce cables, but noticed little (if any) improvement from the component cables I was using. Component output would definitely be less annoying then a recurring handshake problem.
Wow, I wonder if that is what I am dealing with. I was just thinking about posting this as a question, but maybe you guys can tell me if this sounds similar.

I just got the Onkyo 604 and hooked it up with HDMI-DVI cable to my Mits RPTV. I have a Comcast HD-DVR and the setup has been acting real glitchy.

Whenever I change the channel or especially when I am fast forwarding or pausing a show, my TV seems to lose the signal for a couple of seconds. I will typically get a blue screen (the default screen for my TV) and it seems as if it is struggling to get the picture back. Sometimes a click from the receiver will accompany this occurrence (sounds like the audio is being dropped or lost). This last for about 2-3 seconds whenever I change channels or use the fast forward or pause functions on my DVR and it is extremely annoying.

Is this a "handshake" problem? I was worried that my new receiver was acting up or that I hooked up something incorrectly, but it sounds like I might not be the only one to encounter this problem.

If this is in fact what is happening, is switching to component the only solution?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-01-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Yea, unless you have to have the HDMI carry the audio, I would at least try component. There is a argument in the HT world if HDMI is better then Component. The answer seems to be "it depends". It depends on the equipment, set up, calibration, etc.

But especially for a cable or sat STB, I would think you would notice no difference going to component. It certainly shouldn't get any worse (I'm agreeing with Spikey as I tend to do). I have been using a OTA STB for about 2 years now for HD in theater room and bar. When we finally got a HD TV for the living room, I figured I'd upgrade my dish network to HD. I'm happy I did, but OTA HD is a better then Sat HD.

Besides you can get really nice cables at Monoprice for so cheap it seems silly not to try that option.
Old 02-01-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also recently upgraded to a Comcast HD/DVR STB (Motorola DCH3416), and I simply use the component video output from the STB and have it routed to my pre/pro which then feeds my plasma HDTV set, and I don't get the handshaking re-sync issues as I would with HDMI. Over the long run, you're not going to notice that much difference in video quality between HDMI and Component Video in 1080i/720p.
Old 02-01-08, 11:38 AM

Ok thanks guys. I am actually quite relieved it is not a more serious problem...well...off to monoprice I go!

Cheers
Old 03-03-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is HDMI as good quality as excellent component/audio cables for watching DVDs?
Old 03-03-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I'm using HDMI from my Comcast cable box for two reasons--one, less cables, and two, I'm using an HDMI splitter. I have no issues with HDMI cables at all.