Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Monoprice 4x1 HDMI splitter: awesome!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made my first purchase from Monoprice. I got a 4x1 HDMI splitter and four HDMI cables for somewhere in the ballpark of $67. I looked at a B&M for HDMI cables and they wanted $39 for a 3ft, Monoprice was $4.78 for a 6ft.

I'm running my Comcast cable box, 360, and PS3 through the box and all look & sound great. The splitter also has a remote. I was a bit leary because I heard that the PS3 didn't work through the splitter, but no problems here.

If you only have one HDMI input on your TV, this is the way to go. You only have one wire going in to your TV, and the splitter is very small.

I'm sure this kind of stuff has been posted here plenty of times, I'm just trying to help out a fellow DVDTalker that may not know about Monoprice.
Old 01-24-08, 10:07 PM

Yeah I just got the 5x1 a few weeks ago and it's been awesome.
Old 01-25-08, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 4x1 as well and when programmed into my Harmony, it's a pretty seamless experience.

A little electrical tape over the front to cover up the seriously annoying lights and it's perfect.
Old 01-25-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I have the 4x1 as well and when programmed into my Harmony, it's a pretty seamless experience.

A little electrical tape over the front to cover up the seriously annoying lights and it's perfect.
I heard alot of people complaining about the brightness of the lights and I was expecting the worst, but I don't think they're an annoyance at all. As for the Harmony remote, how does it program the splitter? I was considering getting a Harmony but it seemed a bit pricey, but if you can program just about anything in to it, it may be worth the $$.
Old 01-25-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It takes a few extra steps to include the switch when setting up the Harmony, but it's a snap. The Harmony just treats the switch as any other piece of equipment and send the signal at the right time, depending on the activity you've chosen.

Amazon has the Harmony 659 for $90. I'm sure you can find it even cheaper elsewhere. Highly recommended.
Old 01-25-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Yea, I have a Monoprice 5X1 switcher, harmony remote...love it all.

The only problem I have with using a switcher is not being able to calibrate each sourse. My projector only had one HDMI input so it doesn't appear I can calibrate my dish network different then my PS3 and HD player.

I guess it makes sense and not a fault of the switcher (I'm assuming what I read about the projector meant you could calibrate each of the inputs HDMI, Component, S-video), but I was trying to do some fine tuning on calibrating my setting for my new HD Dish Receiver. But those setting are not as good on my HD or BD players.

Yes, I know I could create custom settings in my PJ and manually switch between them, but that would be a minor pain. But come to think of it....maybe the Harmony would do it for me??? I'd really only need two different setting. My PS3 and HD look pretty good on the same setting, but Dish could really use something else.
Old 01-25-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I heard alot of people complaining about the brightness of the lights and I was expecting the worst, but I don't think they're an annoyance at all. As for the Harmony remote, how does it program the splitter? I was considering getting a Harmony but it seemed a bit pricey, but if you can program just about anything in to it, it may be worth the $$.
Yea the Harmony actually lists the monoprice as a piece of equipment. So it is easy to add to the mix.

The Harmony is not pricey and well worth the money. Yes, some people prefer the MX series, or even another type of remote, but by and large they are all just as expensive as the Harmony.

I highly recommend the Harmony. Love it. Not only controlling all my equipment including the monoprice switcher, but it also controls my lutron wireless light switch. So it is cool that when I press "Play HD DVD" it not only sets every component up correctly, but takes the lights to a nice movie watching level. And should someone walk in or I want to get up, I can hit pause on the remote to freeze the movie and I have a dedicated button on all activities that allows me to raise and lower light levels from the couch....lol

This is more then just being lazy. I built my screen so big that I removed the light switch from the normal place and put it near the baseboard. So it is easier to use the remote to change light levels. (I'm going to have to update the photos in my link. You should be able to see the light switch in the photo of my screen, but it's not there! Must have taken that photo before I put it in).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-25-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
does the 4x1 switch do any auto-switching or is it strictly manual?
Old 01-25-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It let's you input 4 HDMI devices & run one out to the TV. It really cleans up the cable situation if you had to run component wires. Like I said above, I only have one wire going into the back of my TV now.

It does come with a remote, and there is a button of the front of the switch box. I just set the tv to HDMI & you switch inputs with the remote.
Old 01-25-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's manual.
Old 01-28-08, 09:37 PM

Just got mine in the mail today, and I have to agree with the OP...what a great little switch. Works seemlessly with my Harmony 676. I did take a little piece of electrical tape to cover up the red light. It was just a tad too bright for me.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
Old 03-22-08, 04:55 PM

which 4x1 switcher are you using?
they have more than 1 listed.
Old 03-29-08, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

I have the Harmony 880 and love it! I got it for $109 from Dell on one of their sales,so just have to keep your eyes open. It's well worth the $$$
Old 03-29-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
how is the harmony 550 for people not willing to shell out 100+?

currently 49.99$ shipped at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...6841176&sr=8-1
Old 03-29-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
how is the harmony 550 for people not willing to shell out 100+?

currently 49.99$ shipped at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...6841176&sr=8-1
I have the 550 and love it. It's almost my favorite piece of A/V equipment. That price is great. I paid about $75 for mine from Amazon about a year ago.

I have replaced 6 remotes with this one Harmony. My TV won't accept an HDMI input until the device is turned on and ready, well the HD-A3 takes a good 30 seconds to get going, I just program the remote to wait 30 seconds before changing the tv's HDMI input and bam problem solved. There's so much you can do with this thing. You won't regret it, especially for only $50.
Old 03-30-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid around $85 (tax included) for my 550 back in early Janurary. I love it.

Would have loved it even more for $50.xx (although it is now showing $68.xx) from Electronics-expo.com.

I even turned my brother on to it and he got one for about $70.00 a month or so ago.