Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

watching my new tv is disorienting -- suggestions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi, i just had firedog wallmount a 52 inch sharp aquos and i am sitting about 9 feet back from it. the tv doesnt take up my whole field of vision or anything.

when i watch an HD source, it seems ok unless something really fast on screen happens. not necessarily the action on screen moves quickly, but it seems to be when the camera itself moves quickly, no matter what is actually happening on screen.

so far i have tried tilting the screen down more, moving my chair a foot farther back, turning the room lights up and down, and enabling the OPC (automatic brightness) on the tv. that all seems to help a little, but not enough.

previously i am used to a 42 inch westinghouse that was on a stand a couple feet off the ground. is it possible my eyes just have to get used to it, or am i doing something wrong?

i would appreciate anything to try that you can advise. thanks in advance
dan
Old 05-31-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
when i watch an HD source, it seems ok unless something really fast on screen happens. not necessarily the action on screen moves quickly, but it seems to be when the camera itself moves quickly, no matter what is actually happening on screen.
I'm not sure I understand the question/problem?

What is the HD source? Satellite, cable, dvd? Are you trying to describe motion blur?
Old 05-31-07, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I'm not sure I understand the question/problem?

What is the HD source? Satellite, cable, dvd? Are you trying to describe motion blur?

hey brian,
i tried both dvd and directv hd (espn hd, lost hd on hd dvr). not really motion blur per se, but my eyes trying to follow what is going on, and then getting confused. after an extended period (over an hour), a headache from this.
thanks
dan
Old 05-31-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dishpan
hi, i just had firedog wallmount a 52 inch sharp aquos and i am sitting about 9 feet back from it. the tv doesnt take up my whole field of vision or anything.

so far i have tried tilting the screen down more, moving my chair a foot farther back, turning the room lights up and down, and enabling the OPC (automatic brightness) on the tv. that all seems to help a little, but not enough.

previously i am used to a 42 inch westinghouse that was on a stand a couple feet off the ground. is it possible my eyes just have to get used to it, or am i doing something wrong?

i would appreciate anything to try that you can advise. thanks in advance
dan
What is the response time of this panel? I have two theories:

1) The WH had a better response time to minimize motion blur; and
2) The bigger size of this tv is making the motion blur more noticeable

In addition, you might be susceptible to motion sickness.

If I were you, I would simply try and get used to it. Astronauts and ice skaters are train their bodies to get used to the disorientation and so can you. If after a month or so you can't get used to it, I'd get a plasma, which does not suffer from motion blur.
Old 05-31-07, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What is the response time of this panel? I have two theories:

1) The WH had a better response time to minimize motion blur; and
2) The bigger size of this tv is making the motion blur more noticeable

In addition, you might be susceptible to motion sickness.

If I were you, I would simply try and get used to it. Astronauts and ice skaters are train their bodies to get used to the disorientation and so can you. If after a month or so you can't get used to it, I'd get a plasma, which does not suffer from motion blur.
thanks josh,
the response time is 4ms and the only other real difference is the contrast, which is "2000:1 Native / 10,000:1 Dynamic" and i think way more than the westinghouse. i did my research but wasnt aware that the plasmas dont have motion blur =P.
dan
Old 05-31-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dishpan
hey brian,
i tried both dvd and directv hd (espn hd, lost hd on hd dvr). not really motion blur per se, but my eyes trying to follow what is going on, and then getting confused. after an extended period (over an hour), a headache from this.
thanks
dan
Well 9 feet back should be ok. How high are the brightness and contrast?
Old 05-31-07, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan, I remember when I first got my 50" DLP I used to get headaches after watching it for a while. I sit about 10' away and after a while my eyes just got used to it and the headaches went away.
Old 06-01-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's similar to motion sickness, too. You just aren't used to the bigscreen. When I put my TV in, my brain couldn't handle it, either. Got used to it.
Old 06-04-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dkny75
Dan, I remember when I first got my 50" DLP I used to get headaches after watching it for a while. I sit about 10' away and after a while my eyes just got used to it and the headaches went away.
Well, with DLP the obvious culprit is the rainbow effect that some are sensitive to, but I don't know what it could be with an LCD.

To the OP: this might make you really sick, but have you tried playing games on it? Try a fast first-person shooter. If that's even worse, motion sickness may indeed be the problem.
Old 06-05-07, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well 9 feet back should be ok. How high are the brightness and contrast?
i used a calibration dvd so the brightness and contrast are around 50-60% i think.
Old 06-05-07, 10:54 AM
Suspended

How's your eyesight, seriously?

Do you wear glasses?