DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HK receiver

Old 05-21-07, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK receiver

Hi, I'm looking to buy a receiver for amplification and to switch in between my laptop and ps3 connections to my monitor. This is what I'm looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1170289629617

I'm wondering if I'd be able to go component video in (from he ps3 -- I need components to get rid of HDCP) to HDMI out and if I'd be able to switch between the component in and a HDMI in. This would be easiest for me (cable price-wise) as I'm running an HD scaler to scale my ps3 output to my apple display.

Does anybody have better recommendations for receivers that can do what I need?
Old 05-21-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Scott, do yourself a favor and wait a few weeks for the Onkyo 605. It will transcode (NO ONE SAY UPCONVERT) a component signal to HDMI. It will rule.
Old 05-21-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't that Onkyo have the faroudja chip (which causes macro blocking on plasmas and maybe other display types). Steer clear of that chip.
Old 05-21-07, 01:20 PM

So you're telling me the HK one can't transcode? Are there any similar models that have this functionality (I don't really need 7.1)? Getting this onkyo would cost me an extra $100. It looks nice though.

What's this faroudja chip?
Old 05-21-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Doesn't that Onkyo have the faroudja chip (which causes macro blocking on plasmas and maybe other display types). Steer clear of that chip.
Dick, the Faroudja chip is the most popular chip on the planet. On a properly calibrated display, the effect, if any, is minimal. I'd rather have the Faroudja over anything not named Reax or Reon.
Old 05-21-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the effect is minimal? I don't have any experience with the chip either way, but after reading all the threads on avsforum about the chip, I decided to go with the oppo 970 since it has a different scaling chip. I don't use a receiver at the moment to switch, for what that's worth. I also only know of complaints about the faroudja chip, although the deinterlacing is supposed to be good. Spiky will people know for sure.
Old 05-21-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts
If you have a PS3, I'd get the 247. It will process the new audio formats over HDMI. And since the PS3 does not have analog outs, you can't use the analog on the 147.

That is, unless you I'm missing the way you want to hook up or if your not on interested in the newer formats.
Old 05-21-07, 10:18 PM

My apple cinema display is not HDCP compliant so I'm running component video out (from the AV multi) of the ps3 into the Gefen HD mate scaler which outputs DVI stripped of HDCP to my monitor. I plan to run the audio through the optical out into the receiver.

Also, this 247 model says "upscaling" like the onkyo one. This means it'll do analogue -> digital, correct? If 1080p analogue goes in, will 1080p digital come out?

Thanks for pointing this model out!

Last edited by cscott; 05-21-07 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 10:21 PM

Why are the "monitor out" ports always component video? Why not DVI (do these exist)? This would make my life easier

What kind of quality do you lose (if any) by going analogue?

Now I feel stuck between the AVR 247 and the Onkyo 605... any other ones I should be considering?

Last edited by cscott; 05-21-07 at 11:58 PM.