Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Curtis Dvd home theater system question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-17-07, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won a Curtis Dvd Home theater System....and was wondering if there is a way to have the audio from the t.v (Cable stations) come through the dvd home theater system.
Or Do I need a receiver for that?
Thanks
Old 04-17-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never heard of Curtis, but I'm guessing the DVD player has a built-in receiver. If it has an input, you should be able to send the audio to it and have it play through the HT speakers. If you have a cable box, send the video to the TV and the audio to the DVD/receiver. If you just change cable channels on the TV, you'll have to see if the TV has an audio output, many do not. In that case, you'd have to switch to using a VCR or cable box to change channels since those will have an audio output.
Old 04-17-07, 09:12 PM

Thanks
I'm not sure if this Curtis (low-end Walmart brand) has a receiver built into it. I've read the manual and it say's nothing about t.v audio.
It just seems like a regular dvd player with 6 speakers attached.
I'm thinking I may have to purchase a receiver and connect all the speaker wires to that.
What do you think?
My T.V is RCA and has V1 V2 Frnt channels, I was hoping I could just hook some audio wires from the dvd player to the t.v ..but, how would I hear the sound if I had to have the dvd player on at the same time?
I guess this dvd surround sound system is only for watching dvd's and playing music..as for wathching t.v and have that sound come out of those speakers is not possible
Old 04-17-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it runs speakers, it is behaving like a receiver, even if it isn't a standard model. But it may not have any inputs, so if you wanted sound from other sources you would need another receiver.

You should be careful with the speakers, though. They may not match to a regular receiver. Check for an impedance rating, measured in ohms. If it is higher than 8 ohms, you run the risk of blowing them out very easily.
Old 04-17-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
if it has speakers, it has a built in receiver. look on the back of the unit for red and white inputs or a single input that says "audio in". Thats where you plug in the sound from your cable box.