Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any way To Split Audio?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any way To Split Audio?

Old 04-07-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way To Split Audio?

Does Anyone know if there is any way or device to split audio via rca cables? the problem i have is that i only have 1 dvi input on my rptv but would like to hook up 2 hdmi devices with a switcher. so i plug both hdmi devices (dvd players) into the switcher and run the hdmi/dvi adapter cable to the display. heres where the problem arises. only one rca input for the sound. i know i have the option of running the sound to the reciever but i usually just use the tv speakers for nightime viewing. i searched monoprice but couldnt find any rca splitters or switchers. any suggestions? i know my next tv will have hdmi but unfortunately bought this set before it was so prevalent thus the dvi. anyone know if such a device exists or have a similar problem? thanks!
Old 04-07-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could use something like this, where the 2 sets of wires eac comes into on part of th 'Y'. Essentially you would have 1 for each channel (ifnoring the red/white colors on the adapter).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
Old 04-07-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just use a $20 4-input A/V switcher (Video/Left/Right) you can get at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. I usually see them being sold under the RCA brand name.
Old 04-07-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks! i will definitely check out these options.
Old 04-07-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just googling around, I found this:

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductD...=11-25478679-2
Old 04-09-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best answer is to run sound through the receiver. Why use TV speakers ever? I mean, you have the receiver for a reason, right?
Old 04-10-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
The best answer is to run sound through the receiver. Why use TV speakers ever? I mean, you have the receiver for a reason, right?
i live in a condo with downstairs neighbors. after 9 pm i like to use the tv speakers to keep things civil.
Old 04-11-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, yes. Well, TV speakers are generally less efficient and less clear than most other speakers. So a receiver with even cheap speakers can give you clearer sound and does not have to be turned up as loud as a TV to understand the dialog. I'm not sure why people think a TV is quieter.
Old 04-12-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Ah, yes. Well, TV speakers are generally less efficient and less clear than most other speakers. So a receiver with even cheap speakers can give you clearer sound and does not have to be turned up as loud as a TV to understand the dialog. I'm not sure why people think a TV is quieter.
i realize that the tv speakers are inferior. i already have some decent home theatre equipment including an strda3000es 7.1 surround reciever and 5 going on 6 300+ dvd changers. also my front speakers are a set of realistic mach one (anybody remember these?). right now my surrounds and subwoofer are cheapie yamaha set that i picked up from best buy for around a hundred bucks. i am currently house hunting (finished basement a must - wired for sound a plus) so i cannot fully enjoy what i have right now because of the proximity of my neighbors (condo). when i do find the house i'm looking for i will probably never use the tv speakers again and upgrade the cheapie surround speakers to some axioms. it is just a temporary soloution to my problem. thanks to everyone for your input!
Old 04-18-07, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
i live in a condo with downstairs neighbors. after 9 pm i like to use the tv speakers to keep things civil.
Nice to see that there is still some people with Class!