Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Harmon Kardon Avr 146

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Harmon Kardon Avr 146

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harmon Kardon Avr 146

My receiver is on the fritz, and I bought it pre-HDMI so I'm looking to upgrade to a newer one anyway. I really don't want to spend more than $300, since I don't really have a decent home theater setup, just a polk surround system that never gets turned up too loud.

So I was checking out Best Buy and found this

It's pretty new and I haven't found many reviews. I see that it doesn't process audio through it's HDMI inputs, so I'd have to run seperate audio cables, but it'd be nice to get rid of the component cables snaking around behind my cabinet and just have HDMI and optical cables.

I'd just be running my cable box and oppo dvd player into it and outputting to a plasma all through HDMI.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-07, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know nothing about receivers but I'm also looking for a new one and I noticed best buy has this pioneer for $300 this week, it looks like a pretty sweet receiver. The website says $400 but its definitely $300 according to the ad.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01
Old 04-16-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
My receiver is on the fritz, and I bought it pre-HDMI so I'm looking to upgrade to a newer one anyway. I really don't want to spend more than $300, since I don't really have a decent home theater setup, just a polk surround system that never gets turned up too loud.

So I was checking out Best Buy and found this

It's pretty new and I haven't found many reviews. I see that it doesn't process audio through it's HDMI inputs, so I'd have to run seperate audio cables, but it'd be nice to get rid of the component cables snaking around behind my cabinet and just have HDMI and optical cables.

I'd just be running my cable box and oppo dvd player into it and outputting to a plasma all through HDMI.

Any thoughts?
I'm a huge H/K fan and don't believe you can go wrong with any of their units. I'm using two right now. A pretty old unit in my living room and also one in my theater. Even tho both are at the low end of the H/K line up, they preform very, very well.

If you want to process audio over HDMI check out the new AVR-247. Runs about $400 tho, so might be over your price range.

Also, check on line retailers like Amazon and Buy.com, they generally have better pricing on H/K then BB.
Old 04-16-07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I'm a huge H/K fan and don't believe you can go wrong with any of their units. I'm using two right now. A pretty old unit in my living room and also one in my theater. Even tho both are at the low end of the H/K line up, they preform very, very well.

If you want to process audio over HDMI check out the new AVR-247. Runs about $400 tho, so might be over your price range.

Also, check on line retailers like Amazon and Buy.com, they generally have better pricing on H/K then BB.
Ok, I've never bought HK, but I know they're decent. I'm not all that concerned about the audio processing, I'll just use the optical cables I have right now. I just wanted to hear from someone who actually has it since these are brand new models and you never know what kind of quirks might pop up.

I'll definitely shop around, although with the sale at Best Buy, I can get it for 285. Amazon has it for 265, but it might be worth the extra 20 bucks to be able to return it locally if I have problems, rather than boxing it up to ship somewhere.
Old 04-16-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I've never bought HK, but I know they're decent. I'm not all that concerned about the audio processing, I'll just use the optical cables I have right now. I just wanted to hear from someone who actually has it since these are brand new models and you never know what kind of quirks might pop up.

I'll definitely shop around, although with the sale at Best Buy, I can get it for 285. Amazon has it for 265, but it might be worth the extra 20 bucks to be able to return it locally if I have problems, rather than boxing it up to ship somewhere.
Some models do run warm to hot so I'd be careful about stacking. However I keep the one I use in the living room in an enclosed cabinet that a drilled a couple of large holes and the back and I've never had a problem.

The older models like mine are kind of quirky in that the on screen display only works thru composite. Don't know if that is fixed in the newer models.

However by far the most important reason to by a H/K is the sound quality. Excellent sound quality.
Old 04-16-07, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Some models do run warm to hot so I'd be careful about stacking. However I keep the one I use in the living room in an enclosed cabinet that a drilled a couple of large holes and the back and I've never had a problem.

The older models like mine are kind of quirky in that the on screen display only works thru composite. Don't know if that is fixed in the newer models.

However by far the most important reason to by a H/K is the sound quality. Excellent sound quality.
I have mine in a pretty tight spot, but I rigged a computer fan in the back that blows over the grill whenever it's powered on and that makes a HUGE difference. The thing doesn't even really get warm anymore.

I'm itching for a new unit, so I may just pull the trigger on this one.
Old 04-16-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Well depending on what audio you're trying to get you may have to fun analog 5.1 cables (didn't click on the link - so don't know details of unit). That would seemingly nullify any saving you get from cleaning up component cabling.
Old 04-16-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait...when did BB start carrying HK? Once CC dropped them?
Old 04-16-07, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Well depending on what audio you're trying to get you may have to fun analog 5.1 cables (didn't click on the link - so don't know details of unit). That would seemingly nullify any saving you get from cleaning up component cabling.
Unless I'm mistaken, I'm getting 5.1 through my optical cables. I'd just be replacing 2 Component cables with HDMI, including the one going up the wall to the tv, which is the main one I want to get rid of.

Actually, I just read over the link at BB again and it says, and I quote,

Enjoy stunning layers of rich audio with this home theater receiver that utilizes Logic 7 technology for improved sound. HDMI connectivity lets you enjoy high-quality audio and video connections.

That sounds to me like this unit processes audio over HDMI, or am I misreading it?
Old 04-17-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can do some more research but I believe the new AVR-247 is the lowest in the H/K line to process the audio over HDMI.
Old 04-18-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does that include DD+ and the other new formats? I know some won't.
Old 04-18-07, 09:45 PM

Best Buy is totally sold out all over Los Angeles. Must be a popular item. I just ordered from Amazon.
Old 04-18-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm getting 5.1 through my optical cables. I'd just be replacing 2 Component cables with HDMI, including the one going up the wall to the tv, which is the main one I want to get rid of.
5.1 analog allows for higher quality audio than optical. If you care. The audio from HD discs over an optical connection is not horrible by any means.

HDMI connectivity lets you enjoy high-quality audio and video connections.

That sounds to me like this unit processes audio over HDMI, or am I misreading it?
Read it alone, without any other sentences confusing you. All it does is say something about HDMI. Marketing people like to trick you.
Old 05-01-07, 10:11 PM

Ok, I finally got this and got around to hooking it up and I have to say I'm really disappointed. Running HDMI from my DVD player directly to my plasma looks great. Running HDMI through this receiver to my plasma looks like crap. Same with HDMI out of my cable box. What the hell? So I've swiched back to component cables and the picture is good. I was looking forward to going all HDMI and maybe even getting a better signal from my cable box, but this is crap.
Old 05-01-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird. I don't understand why it would be worse.

When I got my monoprice switcher I carefully checked with and without the switcher in the loop and really could see no difference.
Old 05-01-07, 11:17 PM

I was gonna ask if it could be cheap cables, I got them off of monoprice? The picture via HDMI looks pixelated around the edges of things. Component comes across pretty clean
Old 05-01-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have another cable to try do that. Suppose it could be a bad cable, but it is not monoprice in general. I have gone thru and replaced all my cables with monoprice. Great stuff! I was actually having problems and turned out to be cable and the monoprice cleared it right up.
Old 05-02-07, 01:14 AM

I ordered 3 cables and have tried different combinations and the picture seems consistently crappy.
Old 05-06-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would never buy any receiver but Harman Kardon again. Once you have that warm HK sound in your ears, you'll know what I mean.
Old 02-06-08, 09:47 AM

harman Kardon AVR 146

I got this receiver as well. I don't get a crappy picture with HDMI switching, I get NO picture. Just a blue screen. Connected directly to the tv my dvd and cable look great, but through the receiver, nothing. This is my second unit and I'm fed up with it and going to return it.

FYI the 247 won't process audio. You have to step up to the 347.
Old 02-06-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Humm are you sure? The AVR 247 thread at AVS should seems to indicate that it does. Obviously I didn't read every page of it, but it sure looks like it does.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=823557

And always difficult to tell reading from the maker, but again, it seems to indicate that it will process the audio;

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...prod=AVR%20247

AVR 247
7.1-Channel A/V Receiver With HDMI™ Switching and Audio/Video Processing
350W: 50 watts x 7 (All channels operating at full-rated power), THD <0.07%, 20Hz - 20kHz into 8 ohms
595W: 85 watts x 7, THD <0.07%, @1kHz into 8ohms
Upscale video without an upscale price. The AVR 247 is our most affordable receiver that allows you to upscale incoming analog video signals to high-resolution 720p output or select two HDMI™ inputs for audio processing, all with a Simplay HD™-verified, single-wire connection to an HDMI-equipped display. And the sound? Pure Harman Kardon® audio, with the clarity possible only with EzSet/EQ™ technology and our high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier design.
Old 02-06-08, 03:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by nader0903
I got this receiver as well. I don't get a crappy picture with HDMI switching, I get NO picture. Just a blue screen. Connected directly to the tv my dvd and cable look great, but through the receiver, nothing. This is my second unit and I'm fed up with it and going to return it.

FYI the 247 won't process audio. You have to step up to the 347.
I had a similar issue, it wouldn't output greater than 480p, this was a year or more ago when I bought a HK receiver. And this was over component.