Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinions needed on 50" Plasmas

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

My father in law is looking to pick up a new 50" Plasma TV. The one he was looking at is the Zenith Z50PX2D
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...35750&pfp=feb4

I've looked a little more into it and have found the Panasonic TH-50PX60U
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=548943

and the Samsung HP-S5053
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...2054&display=2

Does anyone have any experience with any of these and can give me a lttiel first hand advice? or perhaps you have a suggestion for another Plasma. preferably 50" in the same price range.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 02-08-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up the Panasonic TH-50PX60U for under $2000 shipped from CC.Very happy with regular TV and DVD.Especially DVD.Am getting HDTV soon.If you happen to go this route I can send you a link to calibrate the optimum settings.
Old 02-08-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Panasonic. It is a no brainer. One ofthe best reviewed plasma's on the market.

The fact that they are under 2k now makes the decision even easier.

I paid $1800 shipped from Fry's a month ago. Depending on where you live a lot of stores have this on sale less than 2k all the time.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/
Old 02-08-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What he said.
Old 02-10-07, 08:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I've looked a little more into it and have found the Panasonic TH-50PX60U
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=548943
If it's just going to be a TV, then the Panasonic above is a good choice. If he's dong a HT setup, he might consider the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK instead though. It's rated a bit higher in reviews and Panasonic is currently offering a 5 year warranty on it, as opposed to the one year that would come with the 60U. The 9UK doesn't include a tuner, speakers, or even a stand. Also, it uses a modular design for inputs, which may well mean he would have to buy a module as well as the set. So, it would start out very close to the price of the 60U, but the final cost would depend on exactly what "extras" he needed.

Last edited by Dead; 02-10-07 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-10-07, 09:19 AM

Those prices quoted by Bestpricecamera.com are great.I was going to purchase from them but I emailed them twice about a pick up option(in Brooklyn) and they never got back to me.Read their "shipping rules" completely.I decided to spend a few extra $$ to get from a local B&M so I would have no problem with an exchange if needed.
Old 02-10-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT BUY from bestpriceamera.com (aka infinitycaameras.com, etc., etc.). I thought everyone knew this by now, but BEWARE the "Brooklyn camera shops"!!!!!!!!!!!

Do a google search on these stores or check their ratings on any web pricing site and you will see why.
Old 02-10-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/
Old 02-10-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by drmoze
DO NOT BUY from bestpriceamera.com (aka infinitycaameras.com, etc., etc.). I thought everyone knew this by now, but BEWARE the "Brooklyn camera shops"!!!!!!!!!!!

Do a google search on these stores or check their ratings on any web pricing site and you will see why.
Thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard they were a bad company but I had no intention of buying from them anyway - considering the fact that I had never heard of them and had no experience buying from them. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 02-10-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dead
If it's just going to be a TV, then the Panasonic above is a good choice. If he's dong a HT setup, he might consider the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK instead though. It's rated a bit higher in reviews and Panasonic is currently offering a 5 year warranty on it, as opposed to the one year that would come with the 60U. The 9UK doesn't include a tuner, speakers, or even a stand. Also, it uses a modular design for inputs, which may well mean he would have to buy a module as well as the set. So, it would start out very close to the price of the 60U, but the final cost would depend on exactly what "extras" he needed.
At this point I'm sure he's just going to use it as a TV. I know he may eventually do the HT setup but I don't think he is is going to want to deal with lack of tuner or speakers as of right now. (I can just imagine getting an ear full from him for taking my advice and buying a TV that had no speakers )

The 60U is the one that I recommend the most. I shot him an email but have yet to hear back about his decision.