Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

universal remote for ps3

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

universal remote for ps3

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
universal remote for ps3

I know there are plenty of universal remote threads but I didn't see one regarding ps3. Anyone know if there is a universal remote that can control ps3, comcast dvr box, HD TV and dvd player? thanks
Old 02-02-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
PS3 needs a Bluetooth remote so I don't think there will be any way to use a universal remote with it.
Old 02-02-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

there is a way to do it but you need to google it and it is an ugly solution.

basically you need the original ps remote that came with an ir extender. you plug in the ir extender into the ps3 and then use the remote to teach your universal.

its hard finding one of those remotes and it's an ugly solution.

sony dropped the ball on the remote solutions for the ps3. its the one thing that really ticks me off.
Old 02-03-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
there is a way to do it but you need to google it and it is an ugly solution.

basically you need the original ps remote that came with an ir extender. you plug in the ir extender into the ps3 and then use the remote to teach your universal.

its hard finding one of those remotes and it's an ugly solution.

sony dropped the ball on the remote solutions for the ps3. its the one thing that really ticks me off.
And if I remember that solution will not actually power up or down the unit, it only controls the movie once you have it up and running.

Totally agree....terrible that Sony did not include a IR sensor on the unit. I have a harmony 880 that I love. I'm sure Harmony will eventually have a remote for it, but there is no reason that I can think of that Sony couldn't have included a IR sensor and still had BT....
Old 02-04-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
And if I remember that solution will not actually power up or down the unit, it only controls the movie once you have it up and running.

Totally agree....terrible that Sony did not include a IR sensor on the unit. I have a harmony 880 that I love. I'm sure Harmony will eventually have a remote for it, but there is no reason that I can think of that Sony couldn't have included a IR sensor and still had BT....
I have a feeling we'll see a first party IR solution from Sony this spring. I also think that Logitech will come out with something that's BT compatible.
Old 02-04-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I have a feeling we'll see a first party IR solution from Sony this spring. I also think that Logitech will come out with something that's BT compatible.

i hope Sony puts out one that looks decent though. maybe just a little dongle that goes into a usb port or something.

i am sure logitech will come up with something as well, but do they have to? sony makes the only console that needs bluetooth. logitech should give a big fuck you to sony on this one.

oh, and I spent $250 on my 880 the day it came out. i really thought i had a long-term solution to my remote woes. silly me. thanks Sony!
Old 02-04-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Yea, I'm no computer geek for sure, but I would think since it has USB ports on the front, a 3rd party company could come out with a IR sensor that plugs into the USB port....but maybe it is not that simple....
Old 02-04-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i hope Sony puts out one that looks decent though. maybe just a little dongle that goes into a usb port or something.

i am sure logitech will come up with something as well, but do they have to? sony makes the only console that needs bluetooth. logitech should give a big fuck you to sony on this one.

oh, and I spent $250 on my 880 the day it came out. i really thought i had a long-term solution to my remote woes. silly me. thanks Sony!
I don't think Sony has anything to do with your buying brand new technology on it's release day. I'd blame logitech for that. Besides, logitech could release a dongle for the usb port of the 880 for BT compatibility if they wanted to.
Old 02-07-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
What's also bad about this is that you can't control the XMB either, so that means you can't use the IR remote to control the PS3 as a media center. In addition, you can't just insert a disc and play it, since with no XMB control there's no way to navigate to the disc icon. You would have to turn off the PS3 and turn it back on so it will load the disc when it starts.

I'm not sure, but there may also be some other things you can't do with the remote even while watching a movie. For example, there are two menus that BDs can use: a top menu and the pop-up menu. Does the IR remote allow for both of these? How about the four color buttons? (Granted, I don't know if any discs have used the color buttons yet.)
Old 05-04-11, 08:22 PM

Re: universal remote for ps3

everyone here is so full of crap. the ps3 DOES allow for IR controllers. While it is unknown what the code might be I DO KNOW that my comcast remote <- and -> buttons rewind and fast forward my movie on ps3 and i can exit the player by pushing the EXIT button on my remote. However the PLAY button and stop button dont work so atm its useless.
Old 05-04-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Then where is the IR sensor? If they had added it in the slim model, it would be well known.
Old 05-05-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I cant believe how full of crap everyone was for not predicting that in 4 years there would be a possible solution put forth by a first time poster!

lets not make this mistake again, people!
Old 05-05-11, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by bman1985
everyone here is so full of crap. the ps3 DOES allow for IR controllers. While it is unknown what the code might be I DO KNOW that my comcast remote <- and -> buttons rewind and fast forward my movie on ps3 and i can exit the player by pushing the EXIT button on my remote. However the PLAY button and stop button dont work so atm its useless.
Congrats - we're all happy for you. Did it work 4 years ago when this thread was last posted to?
Old 05-05-11, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I cant believe how full of crap everyone was for not predicting that in 4 years there would be a possible solution put forth by a first time poster!

lets not make this mistake again, people!
Old 05-06-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I broke down and bought the Harmony little box thing. It is overpriced. And shouldn't be needed. But........

I love it! It is so worth it! Now my Harmony works seemlessly...it works fantastic and doesn't take up a slot on the PS3....

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo.../dp/B00267S7XW