Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP me with buying a new plasma/LCD HDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm looking for a 1080p HDTV (either Plasma or LCD or DLP) and have some questions for the experts out there:

1) How much does brand factor in? I like the Samsung, Panasonic and Sony HDTVs, but the difference in price is pretty astounding. For instance this Vizio HDTV at Costco seems to be a great deal: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11184919

2) Is it the right time to buy a plasma/LCD/DLP? Should I wait til after Christmas sales?

3) How much will it cost for the extra wires I will need to buy? (to enable 1080i etc)

4) Anything else I should know before buying one of these new high-end HDTVs?

I think it's time for me to experience HDTV, but I am mostly concerned with price at this point and if brands actually play a big difference in quality and performance. Thanks to anyone who can give advice!

Last edited by PJsig08; 12-20-06 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If there was only an HD Forum that could help you out...
Old 12-20-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an LG 50" plasma HDTV. While I really enjoy the picture, it's already showing some slight traces of burn in, even though the guy at the store said it would have to be left on the same screen (paused) for an hour or so to do any permanent damage.

I think the LCD TVs have come a long way, and are considerably cheaper. Might be worth a look. I'm not familiar with the DLPs, but if money is an issue, I wouldn't recommend a plasma as your first - especially if you plan on using a DVR with it. Just my expereince--I might be an exception to the rule.
Old 12-20-06, 07:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
If there was only an HD Forum that could help you out...
We started a Home Theater forum just today because of this question.
Old 12-20-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PJsig08
So I'm looking for a 1080p HDTV (either Plasma or LCD or DLP) and have some questions for the experts out there:

1) How much does brand factor in? I like the Samsung, Panasonic and Sony HDTVs, but the difference in price is pretty astounding. For instance this Vizio HDTV at Costco seems to be a great deal: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11184919

2) Is it the right time to buy a plasma/LCD/DLP? Should I wait til after Christmas sales?

3) How much will it cost for the extra wires I will need to buy? (to enable 1080i etc)

I think it's time for me to experience HDTV, but I am mostly concerned with price at this point and if brands actually play a big difference in quality and performance. Thanks to anyone who can give advice!

The Vizio is 1080i not 1080p.

learn about them before you buy.something sleepyW did not do-

www.avscience.com is a great place to start.

Last edited by tommy28; 12-20-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Vizio cannot be 1080i, it must be progressive. You must be refering to the input resolution. Which may still matter to the OP.
Old 12-21-06, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
The Vizio cannot be 1080i, it must be progressive. You must be refering to the input resolution. Which may still matter to the OP.

The VIZIO P50 HDTV Widescreen 50-in* Plasma TV offers a HDTV display capability at 720P and 1080i allowing you to enjoy High Definition content in either format.
Old 12-21-06, 09:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

There are very few plasma sets capable of handling 1080p, most only do 720p and 1080i.

I'd say "some". If you get a Panasonic you'll almost certainly be getting a good product, same for some of the other big names. The "off brands" are more hit and miss.

If you can afford it, it's time to buy. That's not to say that prices won't continue to drop, as I believe they will. It's like buying a computer, you can always get a faster/better/cheaper one tomorrow. All that thinking does is give you an excuse to never actually get one, because this will always hold true.

Not enough to worry about. If you can afford the set, you should be able to afford the cables from Monoprice.com.

Some other things to think about in making your decision:
What's your environment - lighting, viewing angle, viewing distance?
What type of inputs do you need - what outputs do your devices have, do you plan on adding new devices?
Do you really care about 1080p over 720p?
Do you want to use it as a computer monitor?
Do you plan on gaming?
Are you or your family members prone to the "Rainbow effect"?
Old 12-21-06, 12:19 PM

So the Vizio is a good option? Very cheap at Costco.

Won't be using it as a computer monitor.

Will be gaming sometimes, but mostly watching HD sports.

Is 1080p really better than 720p? Seems like I should go for the 1080, right? But what do I know...
Old 12-21-06, 01:52 PM

Is 1080p really better than 720p? Seems like I should go for the 1080, right? But what do I know...
any Plasma purchased at Costco is a good option.they have a return policy thats outstanding-

I owned the Vizio 50 for about 5-6 months and loved it.then the power supply blew....i returned it back to Costco no box,no questions asked.i now have the Maxent.i find the Maxent to have a better HiDef picture then the Vizio but a step down on SD...im however completely blown away by this set.Id return it for the Panny as it's come down in price but i can't find any reason to do so-

as far as 1080p....no one that i know is broadcasting in 1080p yet so it's a non-factor-.except hd-dvd.
Old 12-21-06, 02:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'd say it's "good", but not great. The fact that it's from Costco would add some value, as any problems would likely be easy to resolve. But, if your gaming is going to be minimal and you don't have a lot of bright light, you could get the highly regarded Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma from Amazon for $1,339.99 with free shipping. Both of these are 720p.

There's some debate as to the value of 1080p. If you are very close and have very good input material, then the value is more likely to be high. With a 42" set, if you're sitting more than 5-6' away the difference between 1080p and 720p is probably going to be minimal. If you're 12-14' away, then it would probably be impossible to see the difference.

If you think 1080p would be of value to you, then the cheapest thing I know of is the Sceptre X42GV-NAGA LCD which Costco has for $1,299.99. I don't know anything about it's quality though. The next closest 1080p in price is probably the Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" 1080p LCD, which is pretty nice and goes for a little over $1300 on Amazon.

Last edited by Dead; 12-21-06 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 05:02 PM

So is HD TV broadcast in 1080 or 720? If I've been watching these HD games in 720, then I wouldn't have known it. I'll be sitting maybe 5-7 feet away from this TV if that helps make a decision.

Also, I think I have to go with Costco at this point...they have the best return policy I've ever seen and good prices to boot. I could watch this TV for a year or so, and just return it for a new one. Can't beat that.
Old 12-21-06, 07:24 PM

So is HD TV broadcast in 1080 or 720? If I've been watching these HD games in 720, then I wouldn't have known it. I'll be sitting maybe 5-7 feet away from this TV if that helps make a decision.

Also, I think I have to go with Costco at this point...they have the best return policy I've ever seen and good prices to boot. I could watch this TV for a year or so, and just return it for a new one. Can't beat that.

People like you, who abuse the return policy. Starting January the return policy is gettinng more stricter.
Old 12-21-06, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
People like you, who abuse the return policy. Starting January the return policy is gettinng more stricter.
People like me? I've never done this before. And if they accept it back in new condition (similar to the way Nordstroms does), why wouldn't I?

So what are they doing to make it more stricter....
Old 12-21-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tommy28
The VIZIO P50 HDTV Widescreen 50-in* Plasma TV offers a HDTV display capability at 720P and 1080i allowing you to enjoy High Definition content in either format.
Yes, input capability. Probably also includes 480i and 480p, maybe a host of others. Output capability, however, is set at one: 720p.
Old 12-22-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

why wouldn't I?
Because it's the kind of dick move that leads retailers to tighten up their return policies, thus screwing those of us who use it for legitimate reasons.
Old 12-22-06, 08:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

So is HD TV broadcast in 1080 or 720? ...
It depends. For example, FOX and ESPNHD NFL games are in 720p, but CBS and the NFL Network are in 1080i. I don't know of anything that is currently done in 1080p.
Old 12-22-06, 11:57 AM

Well it looks like I'm going with Costco. Read up on the more recent posts at the bottom: http://bargaineering.com/articles/co...rn-policy.html

“Don’t you know that Costco doesn’t eat the cost of a returned item - they pass it onto the manufacturer for credit. It’s a numbers game, similar to insurance”

Hey guys - this thread is getting massive!
I work for Costco, stocker for majors(Electronics), and RTV (ReturnToVendor) clerk.
At present, the only return limitation is for our desk, and laptop computers, (6 months, then Manufacturers waranty takes over, 1-2 years.) Everything else is fair game, even food. Don’t ask. o-O;;

Yes, I’ve seen people return first gen HD tv sets after the lamps burn out on them, old CRTs, frozen bread that was several (!!!) years old…

My point is, we DO eat the cost on most of it. We freight most of the large returns back to our regional distribution centers, then back to the manufacturers. Our credit rate, depending on status with the manufacturer, and if we’re stocking it, is anywhere from 30-65%.
Many times, we just D&D (Damaged-Destroyed) tag it, and huck it into the trash, and get no credit on that.

Oh, and no, if you work there, and try to “Salvage” anything from the trash, there’s an instant way to get fired.
Our business depends on YOU, the consumer, being happy with your merchandise, our associates, and “Old School” Customer service. Okay, so we eat a few million in damaged product. Guess that just pisses off Wall St, and throws off local sales metrics.

Oh, and there’s no word on changing our policy on returns, locally or globally.
I've never abused this policy (or returned anything to Costco for that matter). I am going to buy a TV from there and if I want to return it in a year or so, I may do that. I wouldn't return a TV more than twice to Costco in the matter of 2-4 years. That is not abuse.
Old 12-22-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't return a TV more than twice to Costco in the matter of 2-4 years.
That's very big of you.

That is not abuse.
Yes, it is.