Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung 30" Slimfit HDTV (TXS3082W) Help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everybody,
I just had a few questions to ask. I recently got the Samsung 30" Slimfit HDTV (TXS3082W) at a sale Best Buy had last week (The HD adventure Deal) and wondered if anyone on here was familiar with the set. I am new to HD but have knowledge on electronics, but could use some help. I had a few issues with the set... Its a long explination so please bear with me!!!

The night I got the set, I set it up and about 3 hrs into use, while playing Call of Duty 2 on the 360, the screen started getting "broken up", and then just had these lines going through it...like it was faulty wiring. I made sure all the cables were connected right, no luck. I turned the set off and on again, no luck. I unplugged and plugged back in, no luck. I tried it the next day and it still had static going on (think of when you first put in a VHS and the vcr has to track it up). The static was on all the different inputs so I knew something was wrong with the tv so I went on AVSforum and discovered that the tv was prone to burn in if the settings were to high (like out-of-the-box) so I customized them to some members recommended settings, and all of the sudden, the static stopped. While the picture looks find now (a week later) I still can see that on either side of the tv, there are stripes of obvious pixels, as if the were burnt in. My bro and friends seem to think im crazy but I can DEFINATLEY see them. Is there a way to fix this??? The set still has the 30 Day warranty(plus I got the 4yr one) so I could take it back but Ive read about all of the "other" problems this set has hadd so Im worried I may just get a worse set. So basically my questions are there...

1) Do you know what these "Dead" pixels are that Im seeing??? What causes them???
2) I dont understand how the tv could burn-in in the 1st place as it is a Tube TV and I thought burn-in only affected Plasma and DLP's???
3) There is also a zapping sound when I turn my set on sometimes, like a power up sound. Is this normal??? It doesnt happen all the time.

I apologize for the long story and the questions, I have been looking on AVSforums for days and it seems that noone has had my problems. Thanks in advance guys!
Ian
Old 06-14-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The set should not (and cannot) have any dead pixels (there are no pixels on a CRT set) nor any burn in. The zapping sound could be a normal power-up sound. Based on the "burn-in"-like issues, I'd say take the set back. BTW, how much did you pay for it? If it was around $800, which is what I usually see this set advertised for, I would consider the Samsung 23 inch LCD for 699 (I think). Yeah, it's a good bit smaller, but much more awesome. Awesome to the max.
Old 06-14-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI...these sets have had a lot of problems. Search google and you will find see.
Old 06-14-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
The set should not (and cannot) have any dead pixels (there are no pixels on a CRT set) nor any burn in. The zapping sound could be a normal power-up sound. Based on the "burn-in"-like issues, I'd say take the set back. BTW, how much did you pay for it? If it was around $800, which is what I usually see this set advertised for, I would consider the Samsung 23 inch LCD for 699 (I think). Yeah, it's a good bit smaller, but much more awesome. Awesome to the max.
Samsung LCDs are Da Shiznit.
Old 06-14-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Samsung LCDs are Da Shiznit.
damn straight!

I have been tempted more than once to buy the 23 inch LCD for my kitchen. I have the 26 inch in my bedroom and love it.
Old 06-15-06, 01:04 AM

Well on the AVSforums, they mention Burn-In specifically for this set in the offical Samsung Slimfit Thread, thats why I was confused about the whole thing, I thought it didnt sound right but no-one said the same so I wasnt sure. I was also aware that this set had problems going in, but it was a good deal (TV, Xbox360, extra controller and game for $1000) so I figured id take the risk. Everyone has problems with some tv out there, so I didnt think it was fair to single this one out. The problem I am having isnt that bad anyways, it just bugs me because I know its there...Thank you for your input!
Old 06-17-06, 12:27 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ianscloset
Hello Everybody,
3) There is also a zapping sound when I turn my set on sometimes, like a power up sound. Is this normal??? It doesnt happen all the time.
Could this be the degauss? I have heard that some CRTs only degauss when you turn the power on with the button on the set (rather than the remote). Perhaps this is why it only happens sometimes.

I have also noticed some very light vertical lines on the left side of the screen on a Philips widescreen CRT I picked up about a week ago. I'm hoping they'll go away. They are certainly not from burn-in in my case.
Old 06-18-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ianscloset
Well on the AVSforums, they mention Burn-In specifically for this set in the offical Samsung Slimfit Thread, thats why I was confused about the whole thing
CRTs can have burn-in, but that's something that happens when you display a static image over time. You wouldn't see it on a brand-new set.