Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Apple Cinema Display

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple Cinema Display

hey guys. i'm looking into purchasing an apple cinema display, preferable the 30 inch, or whatever the largest is.

do any of you own one of these, that can provide me with both positive and negative feedback?

i will be using it as a monitor for my macbook, my xbox 360 and my HD-DVD player.
Old 06-09-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as i know, can't you get something with comparable specs without the apple logo for far cheaper?
Old 06-09-06, 11:46 PM
Banned

i'm a sucker for official things.
Old 06-10-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Macbook can't run the 30", only up to the 23". And, just like any other PC monitor, it doesn't have video inputs. So you'd have to have VGA for the 360 and HDMI for HDDVD, and I'm not sure if those would work or not.

You are in a much better position if you shop for a TV that can also be a monitor, rather than a monitor that can be a TV.

And you can't get much with the Apple specs (@ 30") at any price. Dell has similar for a bit less, but not all that much less.
Old 06-10-06, 10:20 PM
Banned

what do you guys recommend?
i don't know what you would call it, but you use a cable and connect it to your monitor that makes the laptop screen black, and everything shows up on your monitor.

i need that feature.
Old 06-11-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, that's just a simple DVI cable from a MB. It does have a special connector, so you'll have to get the Mini-DVI cable from Apple, should be $19. And you can then shut your laptop and use the external monitor, although there may be settings or a trick to do that properly, I've not tried with ours. You would put the MB in mirroring mode to do this and make the external monitor your only monitor. It is also capable of using both the external and laptop monitors separately, if you want.

You should be able to hook up to any TV with a DVI input. It's gotten a bit tricky these days. You want to have a TV that actually transmits EDID information, and of course, no TV lists this in the specs. The EDID is what tells the computer what the display/TV is so they can communicate over a digital connection. If your TV has an issue with this, you can either buy Gefen's DVI Detective ($70) to send the EDID to the computer, or you can use VGA. Apple also can use that mini-DVI port for VGA output with the right cable. I've got this problem right now, my TV does not send this data, so my Mac Mini is hooked up via VGA.

There are plenty of TVs in the 23-32" range that will accept all your inputs. They would generally all be cheaper than an Apple or Dell monitor. Mainly because the monitors have greater resolution. Apple's 23" is 1920x1200, most LCD TVs in this size range are 1366x768. I'm guessing we are going to start seeing 1920x1080 TVs coming out in these sizes, but it really hasn't happened, yet.
Old 06-12-06, 07:54 PM
MSA

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
hey guys. i'm looking into purchasing an apple cinema display, preferable the 30 inch, or whatever the largest is.

do any of you own one of these, that can provide me with both positive and negative feedback?

i will be using it as a monitor for my macbook, my xbox 360 and my HD-DVD player.
Check out the Mac Rumor:Forums.
Looks like an expensive proposition and appears the 30" is not yet supported.

The HD Mate for those with an Apple 23" Cinema Display

.......hope this keeps the topic alive.
Old 06-14-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch. $350 on top of purchasing the monitor? Like another posted said, you're better off buying a TV that's also a monitor rather than the other way around.