Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Region Free Dvd Player?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Region Free Dvd Player?

Old 01-31-06, 03:50 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Samsung 950 sounds good. I'd get an Oppo but, I will be frank, I'm in the stone age as far as TVs and sound systems are concerned, and it will be some time before I will be able to do a full upgrade. So, honestly, I just need something to carry me over the hump now that my Daewoo is dying after nearly three years. So, can someone be brutally frank with me, is the Samsung too much for me?

My other region DVD collection is mainly imported anime discs, and the occassional music concert or video compilation from England. My Daewoo could handle just about everything, including the PAL discs, except for two video singles from the UK (you know, a single with the music video and a couple of audio tracks) where I get the bad ghosting. For someone with my system, is the popular Philips 642 a better bet?

Do you think either the Samsung or the Philips would be able to handle those problem discs?

I hate to be such a goober, but any help will be great.
Old 01-31-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jamie,
If you have an older analog TV, all the typical discussion of HDMI, de-interlacers and scalers will not matter at all. The Philips may be a good choice if money is an issue. The Oppo is very ordinary with an analog TV and probably no better than the Philips. From all accounts it is very compatible.

All the players I would prefer over the Philips (Sony, Panny, Pioneer, Denon) for an analog TV seem to be either very expensive or not really set up to do non-R1 discs. I ended up just getting an R1-only Pioneer when I shopped for one and I watch my foreign discs on another TV.

If you have an HDTV, look for a Faroudja DCDi based player. Like the Oppo. Your large video-based collection will appreciate that de-interlacer. The Samsung 950 may have this, the previous 941 did. But the 8xx series does not, so not sure about the 950.
Old 01-31-06, 05:13 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Thanks, Spiky. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I have a different player for the bulk of my collection, so sounds like Philips is probably a good bet for my region free back-up.

Mucho appreciated.
Old 06-08-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update:I am still confused on what do buy but it is June now and perhaps technology is little better.
I want to get region free player-preferably out of the box-reasonable price
I have 62 Mitsuibishi dlp rear projection with hdmi hookup in back.
I want to have the best dvd picture possible-don't care to get into HD yet as my dvd collection is quite large..but read that upconverting is prety darn good right now.
What is the best option to go for in player and I also have a Denon AVR 3300 receiver..is this still viable or would need to be replace too.
Old 06-08-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLegend
Update:I am still confused on what do buy but it is June now and perhaps technology is little better.
I want to get region free player-preferably out of the box-reasonable price
I have 62 Mitsuibishi dlp rear projection with hdmi hookup in back.
I want to have the best dvd picture possible-don't care to get into HD yet as my dvd collection is quite large..but read that upconverting is prety darn good right now.
What is the best option to go for in player and I also have a Denon AVR 3300 receiver..is this still viable or would need to be replace too.
Well, as for the above, I think the just-released Oppo 970HD is your answer:

http://oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

Region Free
DiVX
SACD/DVDA
HDMI up convert
Plus more.
Old 06-09-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok and a newbie question..I currently have dvi cable runnning to stereo and component from receiver to tv.
I buy Oppo 970HD and how would I hook up for best picture?
Would I do hdmi from dvd player to tv and dvi cable tv to receiver or component cables?
What is the best way to hook this all up?

thanks!
Old 06-09-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLegend
Ok and a newbie question..I currently have dvi cable runnning to stereo and component from receiver to tv.
I buy Oppo 970HD and how would I hook up for best picture?
Would I do hdmi from dvd player to tv and dvi cable tv to receiver or component cables?
What is the best way to hook this all up?

thanks!
Well, that's alot of extra cabling. I would go optical/digital coax to the receiver and HDMI to DVI to the display.
Old 06-09-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for cable tips...So is the best option then:
Oppo 970HD
Old 06-11-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just ordered one of the Oppo 970HD..I'll report how it goes..