Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with center speaker (dialogue distortion)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my setup

Receiver: Onkyo sr502
Speakers: Celestion AVS302?, the set that was on clearance at Best Buy about a year ago.
DVD player: Sony NS50p, coaxial
14 gauge wires

Ever since I hooked up HDTV to the receiver last week, I've noticed distortion on the center speaker when watching DVD's. When someone is yelling (i.e. Al Pacino in Heat, UFC announcers), the center speaker kind of "cracks". I've checked the wires and they are fine. What's weird is that gunshots and sound effects do not crack. It's only when someone is talking that the center gets distorted. Any advice is appreciated.

btw, crossover frequency is at 80 hz, treble at 0 and bass at 4.
Old 12-16-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hm. I'm not sure what could be causing this. Make sure that your power cords aren't too close to your speaker cables. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Do you only have this problem when you watch DVDs?
Old 12-17-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Was this a brand new speaker? Does it do this when the test tones are running? If you have checked the cables and they are ok, then it could only be either a blown driver or a failing cold solder joint in the receiver.
Old 12-17-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speakers are about a year old but bought it brand new.I'm watching the football game on Fox on 5.1 right now and the center is fine. I'll test the dvd movies later with my xbox to see if it's my sony dvd player that's messed up. Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Old 12-20-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tried it on my Xbox and the distortion wasn't there. I reconnected the coaxial cable for my dvd player again and now it sounds fine. I checked it last time too that it was connected properly. Weird. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-21-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Tried it on my Xbox and the distortion wasn't there. I reconnected the coaxial cable for my dvd player again and now it sounds fine. I checked it last time too that it was connected properly. Weird. Thanks for the help guys.
Well a loose cable can cause the symptoms you describe but it is interesting that it was in one channel only!
Old 12-21-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So could there be a problem with my main?
Old 12-21-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Main....what?

I wouldn't think a loose digital audio cable could cause the original problem, that should cause loss of audio (not crackling) on all channels if something went wrong. It should be either the speaker or the amp channel or the connection between them. Possibly the audio decoder, but not too likely.

Maybe it is a loose internal connection that has stabilized again. Might come back.