Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Rear Projection versus Plasma

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-10-05, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, all.

We're in the market for a new TV, something in the 34-46" range, and would like to get the best TV we can get for the money, something that's at least HD ready (we can get the HD tuner through DishNetwork). Unfortunately, right now we only have about $1500 we can spend, so that pretty much limits us to rear projectors.

So what should we do? Should we get a rear projector now? If so, what recommendations do you have? (Oh, as for size, I believe the new living room is about 16-18 feet deep.)

Or should we wait for a plasma?

I should add that because of the open floorplan and windows, a projector is out of the question. There's no way we could make it dark enough in the living room.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-10-05, 01:02 PM
Suspended

I should add that Best Buy has a Toshiba 46" for $1399 and a Sony 51" for $1699.

If I'm reading the ad copy correctly, the model numbers are 46H84 for the Toshiba and KP51WS520 for the Sony.
Old 04-10-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd go with an rp set. For a deep room the size is no issue. (Plus you can have a component rack next to it.) Asfor models, I would have to recommend a Mitsubishi hands-down. BB has the 55" Mitsu for $1500. That's a no-brainer IMO, compared to the models you suggested. And bigger is always better....
Old 04-10-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are stuck on your price point, and size is important you might want to consider a projector & screen. If you can stretch your budget or if picture qualtiy is important to you I would recommend the plasma.

Wander around this furm and read other comments on various tv models & types then you can make an informed decision.
Old 04-10-05, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Well, we took a trip to Best Buy and Circuit City, and plasma and LCD are definitely out of out price range. Size is important, because we're going to have a deep living room, and I want to be able to see as much detail as possible--I teach film studies, so the little stuff is important.

We also stopped at CostCo and found a Panasonic 53" rear projection for $1299. Now, the nice thing about CostCo is their return policy. If you aren't 100% satisfied--ever--return it for the full price of the item. It also comes with a one-year in home warranty.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-10-05, 05:48 PM

Is the room your putting the tv in a light controlled room? if so I'd take a serious look at a projector such as this one:

http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/...lay/sp4805.asp

only $1299 and then just get a screen and then your good to go.
Old 04-10-05, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Unfortunately, no. The new place has an open floorplan, and darkening the living room would require darkening the entire first floor.

I have a friend with a projector, and I've seen how dark he needs to get the room before I am satisfied with the quality of the picture. I don't think I could get this room that dark--not even close.

Any thoughts on the Panasonic?
Old 04-10-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe *two* people suggested projectors *after* the OP's original post clearly stated that a projector was out of the question because of lighting.

Ron, any thoughts on the Mitsubishi? Any reason why you aren't considering it? With proper setup it gives one of the very best rp pics, and Mitsus are very reliable. If I were buying today with your constraints, I'd get the 55" Mitsu in a heartbeat. (Or stretch for the 65" model.)
Old 04-10-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got my Mits 55 inch for far less than the listed price of 1499. Check out some other stores in your area.
Old 04-10-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the Mits 55 that is selling for $1500 is an amazing set. I paid $1900 for it when it first came out and have loved every minute of it. I recently took the protective plastic screen off - huge improvment during the day in terms of glare!
Old 04-11-05, 12:27 AM

Personally, I'd stay away from plasma and I would look at Samsung's DLP series. They offer excellent value, a superior image to LCD....especially with sports & games, all you really need to worry about maintaining is a lightbulb and the damn things only weigh 50 or 60 pounds.
Old 04-11-05, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ron G
Unfortunately, no. The new place has an open floorplan, and darkening the living room would require darkening the entire first floor.

I have a friend with a projector, and I've seen how dark he needs to get the room before I am satisfied with the quality of the picture. I don't think I could get this room that dark--not even close.

Any thoughts on the Panasonic?
Wow, I didn't notice you had said that a projector was out of the question in your first post , sorry about that.

Is there any reason why the mitsu is out of the question, like it has been stated it provides a really nice picture when calibrated. I haven't personally seen many Panasonic's so I can't comment on that. Maybe someone else can.
Old 04-11-05, 11:19 AM

I'll jump on the 55" Mits bandwagon. This is a great TV. I have an older one (still great) and it's still go strong with no problems whatsoever. Only service i've had done is 2 cleanings!
Old 04-11-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron G
So what should we do? Should we get a rear projector now? If so, what recommendations do you have? ... Or should we wait for a plasma?
If someone specifically addressed this, I missed it. But...

Your question is worded in such a way that the implication is that plasma is 'better'. In fact, RPTVs have better picture quality than plasmas almost across the board.

Since your room is deep enough that it doesn't require a flat panel solution, I would absolutely recommend going rear projection. You'll save yourself some cash, and have better PQ too. I have the Toshiba 46H84 and love it. There are tons of sites around with info on this set, but this thread over at AVS forum may help you out (if you have a few hours to kill reading it. ):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=425650
Old 04-11-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
The TV that I currently own is a...get this...55" Mitsubishi. As others have stated, you really can't go wrong with this set - I've had mine for almost two years and still haven't seen a TV in the same price range that I would want to replace it with.