Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Receiver is over heating, can someone help me with this..?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-04-05, 11:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.. I needed some help right now with my receiver, it keeps on getting really hot where its almost to hot to touch.. it shut off the other day and went into "protect mode" when i was just sitting there watching tv.. so i decide today to open it up and clean it cuz i have not done that in awhile.. thought that would help but it still gets really hot.. i took some pics of it but it only gets hot in the bottom left corner and here are some pics of what is getting hot.. any help would be more than welcome, thank you..

Here is my Sony STR-DE595 Receiver pics:

Here is the black box that is getting hot..

This is it from the side.. and you can see burn marks..

This is the burn marks up close..

and here is an overall pic of the receiver..
Old 03-05-05, 12:11 AM

Overheating comes from a demand for more current than the power supply can deliver.

Current demand goes up as impedance goes down. Make sure your speakers' impedance isn't too low for your receiver (which probably isn't rated for less than an 8-ohm load on each channel).

A short circuit has no impedance. Look at your speaker wiring. Inspect every foot of it carefully for frayed insulation, nails or tacks or staples, stray strands of wire at either end.

There could be something wrong with the receiver, but check these other things first.

RichC
Old 03-05-05, 01:27 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
Overheating comes from a demand for more current than the power supply can deliver.

Current demand goes up as impedance goes down. Make sure your speakers' impedance isn't too low for your receiver (which probably isn't rated for less than an 8-ohm load on each channel).

A short circuit has no impedance. Look at your speaker wiring. Inspect every foot of it carefully for frayed insulation, nails or tacks or staples, stray strands of wire at either end.

There could be something wrong with the receiver, but check these other things first.

RichC
alright i checked all my wires and nothing is wrong with them.. they are actually brand new because my roomate just bought some new speakers and gave me the wires from the new speaker setup because he liked the ones he already had.. anything else i can try..?
Old 03-05-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming that you also checked to make sure that you had the positive/negative or red/black wires connected correctly. 99 times out of 100, it's something in the way it's wired or it's the impedence of the speakers. The other 1% (probably less with Sony) is just a faulty receiver.
Old 03-05-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If it is not faulty I do know that Sony receivers especially the STR line always run hot.

Try improving the ventilation if possible. You might also try a fan. Radio shack used to sell small fans that had plugs on them, plug it into the receivers switched outlet.

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp...23&image1.y=39

RS does not show them here but they also come with 110 plugs attached.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-05, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Redsand
alright i checked all my wires and nothing is wrong with them.. they are actually brand new because my roomate just bought some new speakers and gave me the wires from the new speaker setup because he liked the ones he already had.. anything else i can try..?
An intermittent or "proximity" short. (A hard short wouldn't allow the receiver to operate at all.)

Speaker impedance too low.

Too much actual heat (poor ventilation... you're not stacking anything on top of the receiver, are you?).

Defective receiver.

That's pretty much the list.

RichC
Old 03-06-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree. i've read many reports in the past about sony str line of receivers having overheating issues. your model may simply be one of those models affected.
Old 03-06-05, 01:08 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by darmok
i agree. i've read many reports in the past about sony str line of receivers having overheating issues. your model may simply be one of those models affected.
so what should i do about this problem, should i just call sony and see what they say or can i install or replace something for the receiver..?
Old 03-06-05, 11:12 AM

so what should i do about this problem, should i just call sony and see what they say or can i install or replace something for the receiver..?
If it's still under warranty, take it in for repair. But be certain the problem is not in your speakers or wiring, or they won't find anything to fix.

If the warranty has expired, I wouldn't waste my money on a repair. Time for an upgrade.

No, you can't fix it yourself. You could try adding some forced-air ventilation.

RichC
Old 03-07-05, 04:32 PM
Cool New Member

If it's still under warranty, take it in for repair. But be certain the problem is not in your speakers or wiring, or they won't find anything to fix.

If the warranty has expired, I wouldn't waste my money on a repair. Time for an upgrade.

No, you can't fix it yourself. You could try adding some forced-air ventilation.

RichC
now if i where to unplug the speakers and leave the receiver on for about an hour and it gets hot than it the power supply right..? and if it doesnt than i must of hooked up my speakers wrong.. can i check it like that..?
Old 03-07-05, 04:58 PM

now if i where to unplug the speakers and leave the receiver on for about an hour and it gets hot than it the power supply right..? and if it doesnt than i must of hooked up my speakers wrong.. can i check it like that..?
As long as set all the speakers to "off" before you turn it on. You shouldn't operate an amplifier with no load.

Now, keep in mind that it *will* get hot. It's a cheap amp with an inadequate power supply, so it will get hot; that's a given. You just need to make sure it doesn't get hot enough to trip the protection circuit, by keeping it ventilated, not blocking the top, and making sure the load is correct.

RichC
Old 03-07-05, 06:23 PM
Cool New Member

As long as set all the speakers to "off" before you turn it on. You shouldn't operate an amplifier with no load.

Now, keep in mind that it *will* get hot. It's a cheap amp with an inadequate power supply, so it will get hot; that's a given. You just need to make sure it doesn't get hot enough to trip the protection circuit, by keeping it ventilated, not blocking the top, and making sure the load is correct.

RichC
ok ill try that but do you think it will be fine to use even when it is really hot just as long as it doesnt go into protect mode..? and yes it is very well ventilated.. but it gets too hot to touch sometime, so that is why i turn it off.. so should it be fine as long as it doesnt go into protect mode or will something happen before it makes it to protect mode..?
Old 03-07-05, 10:12 PM

ok ill try that but do you think it will be fine to use even when it is really hot just as long as it doesnt go into protect mode..? and yes it is very well ventilated.. but it gets too hot to touch sometime, so that is why i turn it off.. so should it be fine as long as it doesnt go into protect mode or will something happen before it makes it to protect mode..?
A lot of low-end receivers get really, really hot to the touch. If it doesn't shut down or emit smoke or the smell of burning insulation, you should be OK.

Otherwise you have no choice but to replace it.

RichC
Old 03-08-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
I'm assuming that you also checked to make sure that you had the positive/negative or red/black wires connected correctly. 99 times out of 100, it's something in the way it's wired or it's the impedence of the speakers. The other 1% (probably less with Sony) is just a faulty receiver.
Wait a minute. Wiring the speakers in phase (red/black, plus/minus) has NOTHING to do with the power draw on the receiver. NADA! ZILCHO! Why do you post such patently false information? Best to be quiet if you don't know wha tyou're talking about than to spreadmisinformation and give bad advice.

Also, Sony's STR receivers are actually notorious for having cheap, low-current amplifiers (despite their "rated power" figures). So it follows that the low-end Sony receivers would be (and are) MORE prone to overheating and other such problems. (Besides simply sounding worse than most decent midrange receivers.)
Old 03-08-05, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by drmoze
Wait a minute. Wiring the speakers in phase (red/black, plus/minus) has NOTHING to do with the power draw on the receiver. NADA! ZILCHO! Why do you post such patently false information? Best to be quiet if you don't know wha tyou're talking about than to spreadmisinformation and give bad advice.

Also, Sony's STR receivers are actually notorious for having cheap, low-current amplifiers (despite their "rated power" figures). So it follows that the low-end Sony receivers would be (and are) MORE prone to overheating and other such problems. (Besides simply sounding worse than most decent midrange receivers.)
So this is a common thing with the type of receiver i have..? And i really have nothing to worry about.. Will it melt the inside of the receiver or caught of fire if i leave it on to long and it gets too hot..? i dont know if it has always got hot before but i just noticed it recently..
Old 03-08-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drmoze
Thanks Mr. Snark. You are absolutely correct about power draw. But he did say something about NEW WIRES THAT HE JUST INSTALLED. I just thought it might be worthwhile to check the wires again and make double sure they were Kosher (not crossed and proper polarity). Further, if he had speakers hooked up in parallel rather than in a series, he could be increasing the impedence...or is it decreasing...surely you must know.

I may not be an electrician or a genius like yourself, but I've somehow stumbled through hooking up a 7.1 and a 5.1 bedroom system through 5 moves in 7 years without blowing anything up.

It was also very early in the morning, and I was just trying to help. Thanks for your ass-sistance.

P.S. I still think it's the wires.
Old 03-14-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Thanks Mr. Snark. You are absolutely correct about power draw. But he did say something about NEW WIRES THAT HE JUST INSTALLED. I just thought it might be worthwhile to check the wires again and make double sure they were Kosher (not crossed and proper polarity). Further, if he had speakers hooked up in parallel rather than in a series, he could be increasing the impedence...or is it decreasing...surely you must know.

I may not be an electrician or a genius like yourself, but I've somehow stumbled through hooking up a 7.1 and a 5.1 bedroom system through 5 moves in 7 years without blowing anything up.

It was also very early in the morning, and I was just trying to help. Thanks for your ass-sistance.

P.S. I still think it's the wires.

And how, pray tell, would you possibly hook up speakers "in series" OR "in parallel"? Pretty much impossible with multispeaker hookups, one speaker per wire run. Again, "proper polarity" will not in any way affect the power draw on a receiver. Power draw (ands speaker impedance seen by the receiver) is the same regardless of polarity. Polarity ONLY affects the relative phase of the speakers. Look it up, as you are correct that you are no electrician nor a genius of any sort.

We do appreciate your ass-essment of the issue, but please refrain from speaking of things you know nothing about and leave it to people who have a clue to give good and helpful advice. Your suggestion to check the polarity would be a 100% waste of the OP's time, and would not solve the problem. Get it????
Old 03-17-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the problem started after your roomate gave you his wires, then go back to your old wire - if you still have it.