Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

connection cables for hdtv?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-19-05, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on buying a 61 in. ultrathin widescreen tv from Best Buy. The guy told me the connection cables will be around $700. He said if I don't get top of the line, I won't have a good picture. I was wondering if I really have to have the most expensive cables. I am getting HDtv when I buy the TV. I need to hook that up and a dvd player. (I am also hooking up a vcr, but I don't care if that has a quality picture because I barely use it.) I was thinking it might be cheaper to get the cables at Wal-Mart or somewhere. I have to buy the tv at best buy because I have $6,000 worth of gift cards and the tv is 6,500. I thought that was going to almost cover the tv. Then I find out the warranty is $400 and the cables are $700. I didn't even ask the price of a wall mount or stand. Could someone give me advice on cables? Also, would I be better off just to get one of the thin tvs that isn't as thin as the wall mount one? I just want a big widescreen tv that is good. Thanks
Old 02-19-05, 12:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm glad you asked. Good cables can run about 10% or less of what he told you.

You need to figure out what cables you need and check some of the sources that have been mentioned in other threads. Try searching for "cables" in this forum.
Old 02-19-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I was browsing through BB the other day and saw that they have signs in the TV section that basically says how you need to buy Monster Brand cables to get the most out of your big screen TV purchase. The way it's worded comes of sounding like the TV won't work any other way unless you bought Monster brand from them. While I agree that you shouldn't skimp on cables and use ones that aren't well made you can get well made cables much cheaper then the ones they're selling.
Old 02-19-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The guy told me the connection cables will be around $700. He said if I don't get top of the line, I won't have a good picture
Strange since they dont work on comission why he would say that

Cables can cost that much but I would say that you can do just fine for far less than that.
Old 02-19-05, 04:55 PM

I recommend www.bluejeanscable.com. P.S., that sales rep is full of sh**.
Old 02-19-05, 04:57 PM

I assume that at that price, you are getting a plasma. Make sure that the set has HDMI or DVI connection that is HDCP complaint. Furthermore, you should get a DVD player that has HDMI/DVI out.
Old 02-20-05, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hoyalawya
I assume that at that price, you are getting a plasma. Make sure that the set has HDMI or DVI connection that is HDCP complaint. Furthermore, you should get a DVD player that has HDMI/DVI out.
Or you can wait for the LG LDA511 DVD player to come out this May 2005 for 199, http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-561...html?tag=brand
Old 02-20-05, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the help. I am going to shop around for the cables. I thought that seemed high. I don't even know if the TV is Plasma. It is the only one they had that was that big and was ultra thin. They said it was wall mountable. I never even knew my DVD player might not work with it. I guess there are lots of things to find out before you buy. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like they want to make cash dollars as well as your GC money in the deal. I'd never have bought an HD set if my cables had cost me $700, that's for certain.
Old 02-20-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
I was at BB today and they had a ton of the AR cables. Perhaps more then Monster. Wonder if they are switching over or what.

Yes, look around. If you are spending that much on a TV (even if they are GC people gave you), you really want to do some research.

And I agree with everyone else. Don't bother with the cable from BB, order on line from somewhere else. Also, I'd at least hesitate before spending $400 on a Warranty. 1st thing I would do is call the maker of the TV, find out exactly what the standard warranty is, then ask them if they have an extended warranty you can buy directly the cost and what is covered.