Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where to get set-up/calibration DVD's for projection TV's??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok on a few posts I read about people getting new RPTV's, a lot of you have suggested getting set-up/calibration DVD's, and they run about $25.00. It helps set the contrast, color ect on the sets.

Since I am days away from making my first RPTV purchase I would like to get one to set my TV up correctly. My question is where do you get these at? Does BB or CC carry them? Do I need to special order one?

When I do get one can somebody tell me the basic rundown on how these work? To set my TV up correctly.

I heard Avia and Video Essentials are the best??

Thanks!
Old 12-01-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avia is available from DDD
Video Essentials is available from Amazon.

I've seen both at BB and CC.
Old 12-03-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're on ebay as well.
Old 12-03-04, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are two versions of Video Essentials: Video Essentials and Digital Video Essentials. DVE is newer. There's another one called Sound & Vision, which I believe BB carries as well.
Old 12-03-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you don't plan on getting into major tweaks (geometry corrections, focus, overscan and so on) in your service menus, you can get by with Sound & Vision. It has the basics for your video settings.

If you really want to make your set shine (and you might, maybe not now, but you may - but you'll need no fear of your service menus) then pick up Avia, VE or DVE. Myself, I use Avia, but a lot of folks prefer VE... Dunno if there's a whole lot of difference.

I got my copy of Avia from Amazon... (~ $37-ish)

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 12-03-04 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-03-04, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Great, thanks for the input everybody!!
Old 12-03-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 2 copies of VE (the older VE and the newer DVE). After trying both, I really much prefer Avia. The VE people don't understand (even after early comments and releasing their new DVE disc) that their menus and navigation system are *horrible*! You can't go to a given test or pattern simply and easily. WHen using these every month or 2, it always feels like they are hiding stuff on the disc and getting to a particular test is like looking for easter eggs on a disc.

Avia has much esier acces. Plus, Avia has 'flashing' test displays rather than static screens, which makes it far easier to see where the adjustment is correct. (e.g., when a grey bar just disappears into the background.) Also, Avia has cool audio sweeps (displays the frequency onscreen), so you can test your speaker balance and bass transition easily with a sound meter.

I own all 3 (haven't used Sound&Vision) and I would *not* recommend VE or DVE. Go with Avia.
Old 12-03-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The dve is cheaper, and I could never find it at Bestbuy or Circuit City...I knew they carried it, but it was never in stock, finally broke down and bought it at Borders with a gift card. I agree with the navigation, its like playing a video game, like youve discovered a new level each time, can be frustrating.