Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer behind the TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer behind the TV?

Old 11-28-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subwoofer behind the TV?

I've currently got my subwoofer in the front left corner of the room, and the TV is in the front right corner. However, I'm running out of space for dvd storage, and therefore am thinking about getting another shelving unit and putting it caddy-corner in the front left corner. This means I'll have to move my subwoofer, and the only place I can find room for it is behind the TV stand. Now, it wouldn't be directly behind it, but kind of to the side, so it would have a place to project the sound out, but that area also has one of the front speaker stands there. Would this pose a huge problem? I have an Onkyo HTS-760(?) 6.1 HTIB setup.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-29-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problem. I had my SW (NHT) behind my rptv, which was at an angle. The front driver was even facing the wall at an angle. Sound blended nicely with my mains. (You don't need to have the sub aimed towards the listening area, and might get a broader sound by aiming it towards the corner, depending on the walls, room size, etc.)

My only gripe with the setup is that there was something something in the wall behind the tv that rattled around 40-45 hz. I didn't want to tear up the wall to find and fix it. It was only noticeable occasionally tho.
Old 11-29-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the reply. I definately don't wanna aim it at the corner, since I live in an apartment.