Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help...not enough component hookups on my TV

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-17-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 60" Hitachi progressive scan rear projection TV that's five years old, has two S-video inputs and only one component which I already have my DVD player on. I just bought an XBox and PS2...the PS2 can go on the spare S-video if need be but I wanted the XBox on the component - but that's already taken.

Is there a switch box I can buy to make this work? The only things I'm seeing at like Best Buy and Radio Shack are S-video, audio and composite 4-way boxes. Would it be okay to just use the yellow red and white AVs for the component cables instead as long as I kept the colors right? Any advice would be appreciated, there is no way I would be able to pull the TV out every time I wanted to switch these.
Old 05-17-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...video+switcher
Old 05-18-04, 01:00 AM

Before investing in a dedicated switch box, you might want to check out HT receivers with component switcher. Plenty of new receivers have that feature. A better investment for the money IMO. You will also be upgrading the sound.
Old 05-18-04, 12:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use a composite switcher, assuming you are running the video to the TV and the audio to a receiver.

I'm sure there's some signal degradation, but unless your a videophile and/or compare them side by side, you probably won't notice. I know I don't.
Old 05-18-04, 02:36 PM
Banned

I wouldnt convert the signal - unless you get a real high quality convergeance unit, there's going to be signal impedance, but as Josh said, you probably wouldnt notice the difference unless you were to try it and then actually go direct and if your going to convert teh signal from RGB to an S-Video by use of a converter, you might as well just stick with the S-Video directly from unit to unit - converting it isnt going to make it any better, it could only get worse - like trying to fit 3 lanes of traffic into a single lane all at once - bound to be issues
Old 05-18-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ended up buying that JVC composite switching unit mentioned in the other thread about this subject, hopefully it will do the trick. With it looking like a reasonably good quality piece, and not having very long cable lengths, hopefully it won't be too much degradation - only will be hooked to consoles and a DVD player, not a true HD output.
Old 05-18-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Wolfchild
I ended up buying that JVC composite switching unit mentioned in the other thread about this subject, hopefully it will do the trick. With it looking like a reasonably good quality piece, and not having very long cable lengths, hopefully it won't be too much degradation - only will be hooked to consoles and a DVD player, not a true HD output.
I've had that for a couple years now with no problems. Like you, not using it for HD and it probably would not be great with that. Does perfectly fine with DVD.

Last edited by movielib; 05-18-04 at 11:16 PM.