Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo or Replay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo or Replay?

I am new to this forum and I am interested in finding out what you all think of Tivo and its competitors. I am not very technically savvy, so I'd be curious to know which DVR is the best product for the best price, which one is the most user friendly, and which one will have a longer life - as in, it won't be upgraded in two weeks to a new and improved product, right after I dropped all this money? I have heard the cable company DVR's aren't very good and I have been researching Tivo and like some of the features it comes with. Other than that - what can you "experts" tell me?

I hope this isn't too repetitive of past discussions. Thanks!
Old 01-15-04, 04:43 PM
Suspended

I'm not that educated on this stuff...but I think TiVo is definitely a better product than Replay TV..from what i've heard and seen..i think tivo is definitely more user friendly and simpler...replay is really complicated and should be used for more techy people...that's my opinion
Old 01-15-04, 05:07 PM

http://www.pvrcompare.com/otherreviews.html

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. ReplayTV's do give you better visual quality though.
Old 01-15-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I have two TiVos... couldn't live without them!

-k
###
Old 01-15-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless of which one a particular person has (I have TiVo) all love theirs and those are the kinds of answers you'll get. I don't see how you could go wrong with either. Probably you should just compare prices and features and go with what seems best for you.
Old 01-16-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Both are good products.

I own a Tivo and love it. I know people who own Replay and love it also
Old 01-16-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also have a question about these, and no need to start a new thread.

Do all hard disk recorders require a monthly fee to record stuff?
Old 01-16-04, 09:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know of DVR that doesn't have a monthly fee attached. There is also the option of a lifetime subscription, which may be a better deal in the long run.

What you're paying for with that is the guide data, which is updated continuously.

I got my DirectTV Tivo a week ago. It was my first DVR (I'm usually a slow adaptor to new technology). Since then, I have joined the polygamists in lobbying the state of Utah to change the marriage laws (so I can marry my Tivo). If you have DirectTV it is probably the best option.
Old 01-16-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks groucho, we have dishnetwork (HD).

what are the monthly fees?
Old 01-16-04, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by movielib
Regardless of which one a particular person has (I have TiVo) all love theirs and those are the kinds of answers you'll get. I don't see how you could go wrong with either. Probably you should just compare prices and features and go with what seems best for you.
Does Replay TV have a lot of features? From researching Tivo, I know it has a feature that will record a favorite show every week for you, even if they time of the show changes. That seems really convenient - does Replay have that?

Also, I have heard that DirecTv with Tivo is the way to go if I get the Tivo. How much is DirectTV? I know tivo is then only $99 which seems really good.

THanks for the link, gotapex, I'll be sure to check that out as well.
Old 01-16-04, 10:42 AM
Suspended

I didn't know that about TiVo...how does it record the show if the time changes?? How does it automatically know? I know that TiVo has this Home Media Option thing, which is cool--You can set your TiVo to record shows from your computer at work!! Very convenient..
Old 01-16-04, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Movieorama
I didn't know that about TiVo...how does it record the show if the time changes?? How does it automatically know?
It just uses the guide data.
I know that TiVo has this Home Media Option thing, which is cool--You can set your TiVo to record shows from your computer at work!! Very convenient..
Note that the DirectTV Tivos don't have this. (Yet).
Old 01-19-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
It just uses the guide data.Note that the DirectTV Tivos don't have this. (Yet).
But that time change has to be reflected in the guide, which doesn't always happen (especially if it's a sporting event overrun.)

So be aware that a big game can screw everything up.
Old 01-19-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have DirectTivo and love it. There is no way I could live without it (ok, thats a bit extreme but you get the point) and if we decide to stay in this house and not move I will be adding a second unit for the upstairs tv.
Old 01-20-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I absolutely love my Replay. One feature it has over the Tivo that I couldn't live without is the 30-second skip button. If you can get a hold of the previous model (ie:RTV50xx), it has auto-commerical skip and internet sharing. These features were disabled on the current models (ie:RTV55xx). The Replay has an ethernet port so that it can get updates through your broadband connection, I'm not sure if Tivo has this or not.

Originally posted by Jazzy_75
From researching Tivo, I know it has a feature that will record a favorite show every week for you, even if they time of the show changes. That seems really convenient - does Replay have that?
Yes, you simply enter in the show name, and it will find it any day or time of the week. Very handy for shows that seem to jump all over the place. As long as it doesn't get changed at the last minute, since the program guide updates around every 24 hours.
Old 01-20-04, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
One feature it has over the Tivo that I couldn't live without is the 30-second skip button.
Tivo has 30-second skip. You just have to enter a code to enable it: SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT. Presto!
Old 01-21-04, 03:54 PM

Shoot me already..I have 6 DIrecTivo's...a Tivo and new ReplayTV. I love the Tivos....the Replay is just as nice but I prefer the ease of Tivo..especially menus and such.

But..as soon as the locals get put on my DIrecTV...I am going to sell the Tivo and Replay....and then get a TivoHD.

Back to the question....Tivo wins for me.