Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I just make my own DVD shelves?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I've been looking at pre-configured shelving, and the prices are just outrageous. My collection is nearing 1000, and it's getting quite interesting. I have my own idea for shelves, and I think Home Depot is going to be on my list for making the DVD shelving units.

So, has anyone else made their own? Or does anyone have shelves that were relatively inexpensive?

Many shelves I see are mostly open-air, and I want have my shelves where there is little dust getting on them.
Old 08-15-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should definetly make your own. It's cheaper, usually more space efficient and it's fun! Here's mine
Old 08-15-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. Nice. That's actually almost exactly how I want mine. About 50-DVDs width, an inch or so higher so they are easily grabbed off the shelf, etc.
Old 08-15-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boston george: I've seen those shelves before and they do look quite nice. Is there a way you could give us dimensions and/or supplies and how much it cost to make?

Greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-16-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C_Fletch
Boston george: I've seen those shelves before and they do look quite nice. Is there a way you could give us dimensions and/or supplies and how much it cost to make?

Greatly appreciated!!
i would love to see this too. i have admired these for some time and i would love to try to build them. i have never done anything like this though. how did you joint the shelves in...screws and L braces? how about the joints for the main body? just curious how to do this.

thanks
Old 08-16-03, 09:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Did you really have to put a big sign over the shelves that says "DVD?" Your friends must not be that bright if they need that kind of help.

Don't show them to the bathroom! They may not find the toilet without a sign above it.
Old 08-16-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that building is good. But get your wife to do it. Mine did a GREAT job:

I like the dowel approach - it was simple, quick, and the shelves are still wonderfully sturdy - each one holds about 400 dvds.

Old 08-16-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seeker's are nice - they match, and complement the room - but me, I'd have to get some thin plywood or something to put on the back. Makes it look nicer than seeing the wall behind the DVD, and also minimises any movement of the shelves (ever gone up to a home-assembled shelving united and rock it from side to side? 99% of teh time EVERYthing moves!).

C'mon, Boston George, be our Chris Lowell of DVD shelving! Give us an idea of what to do, what dimensions, what screws to use, etc.
Old 08-16-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

C'mon, Boston George, be our Chris Lowell of DVD shelving! Give us an idea of what to do, what dimensions, what screws to use, etc.
It was pretty easy really. I don't know if you can tell but it is actually 3 shelves right next to each other but they are anchored to the wall so you can't really tell. I did this to make it easier to move them and easier to handle when building them. I am by no means an experienced carpenter so I'm sure you guys can make some similar too. I just kind of figured out what dimensions I wanted and went and bought some wood haha. I just used regular screws and some nails to hold the back part on. the wood is just regular 1/2 inch boards. For the backing I used that really thin fiberboard and just nailed it on, since you don't really need thick wood for the backing. I'm sorry I don't have any more info. It's kinda been awhile. I promised someone else before that I would make detailed instructions and take a bunch of pics next time I build more since I am rapidly running out of room. I think I will run out at about 650-675. But until then I would be more than happy to awnser any specific questions.
Old 08-16-03, 02:22 PM

doug
Old 06-01-11, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Should I just make my own DVD shelves?

Wow, 2003... I realize this thread is old but I didn't feel like making a new one.

I've bought a few Sauder shelves from Walmart/Big Lots in the past but seeing how I'm rapidly running out of space (and not interested in converting to thinpak) I'd like to build my own. I'm thinking 4 feet wide by 6 feet tall. Any good designs out there? Also, is 1/2" plywood thick enough to hold all this plastic? Pictures please.
Old 06-04-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here I come to respond to a thread...that I started!

Actually, I'm changing my thoughts on making your own shelves. Ikea's line of shelving is rather affordable...and the key is here...sturdy. In 2003, I was stuck with buying cheap shelving at local stores and hardware stores. The shelves would bend so easily, it was ridiculous. Ikea has a good niche, in that you aren't buying solid wood shelving, but aren't buying crap either. They put a nice finish on the shelf which is very sturdy. And often, you can find discontinued shelving for really cheap. I saw a shelving unit at our local Ikea for only $40, which normally sold for $100. Could have held hundreds of DVDs.

Just to update on my own collection, I'm liquidating all DVDs I own and just going Blu-ray. And of course, I'm keeping my 300+ HD-DVDs.

I quickly looked at your collection link. So, you're almost at 500 DVDs? If you have a local Ikea, I'd go with them. I tried making my own, but in the end, the separate shelving was more expensive. Because you don't want to buy the cheap shelves at hardware stores. Factor in staining and making it to your liking, and you've easily put in several times the money. Just my opinion now, but I think we have better shelving options pre-made, going for much cheaper than they were in 2003.
Old 06-04-11, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I quickly looked at your collection link. So, you're almost at 500 DVDs? If you have a local Ikea, I'd go with them. I tried making my own, but in the end, the separate shelving was more expensive. Because you don't want to buy the cheap shelves at hardware stores. Factor in staining and making it to your liking, and you've easily put in several times the money. Just my opinion now, but I think we have better shelving options pre-made, going for much cheaper than they were in 2003.
Haha, I wish it were only 500 DVDs..I guess you didn't catch the "incomplete" next to the collection link in my signature, I have over 2,500 right now just no time to take them out of storage boxes and input to DVDAf - part of the reason for this is because I have no shelf space to put them on.

As for IKEA, I've never heard of them and surely don't have a IKEA store within reasonable driving distance from me. The only choice I have now is going with the $40 pre-made Sauder shelf Big Lots sells (which I already have 3 of..I like the design but I think I could stretch my $40 if I just hit up my local lumber yard and attempt to build my own. That's why I posted here, for advice on designs/recommended type of wood to use.

Thanks anyway!
Old 06-04-11, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I built my own shelving to hold 1000 DVD (movies) and 300+ seasons of TV. They've worked out well and I prefer the look much better then kits. I'd post pictures But I'm not sure how on this site.
Old 06-04-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Once I have my own place I am contemplating something like this, on a wider scale.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hungarian-Shelves/

Old 06-04-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What can work really well, if you are comfortable with/have power tools, to buy pre-made shelving and cut or add shelving based on your need. Got a dvd shelf from Target? that was like 20 bucks for my cd's; cut in width by 1/4 and the depth by a half and it fits perfectly in the space I needed it to, while adding more shelves with plywood.
Old 06-05-11, 01:12 AM

okay, figured out how to post pictures. Not the best quality but it will give an idea of the approach I took making my own shelving from scratch. This is part of a small room I finished in my basement outside the equipment room closet of my HT. It also includes a refigerator and microwave on a facing wall.

Old 06-05-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Gorgeous! Love the crown molding at the top.

This is the approach I'd like to take. Really want a "built-in" style. My collection is getting way out of hand and I'd prefer to have the majority of my movies on one shelving unit. My carpentry skills are fairly lacking, but I've made some preliminary sketches and have taken measurements. I'm hoping to covert an entire wall (12 ft. x 8 ft.) into nothing but storage shelves. If I need more space, I also have a 8 ft. wide closet that I can add shelves to in the future.
Old 06-08-11, 02:20 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
What can work really well, if you are comfortable with/have power tools, to buy pre-made shelving and cut or add shelving based on your need. Got a dvd shelf from Target? that was like 20 bucks for my cd's; cut in width by 1/4 and the depth by a half and it fits perfectly in the space I needed it to, while adding more shelves with plywood.
This is what I did. Last time Staples had their 6' bookshelves on sale, I bought two. I put one together, measured out to see how much space a blu-ray takes, and spaced it out to basically double the amount of shelves (used all the shelves from both units, just threw the rest of the second one away).
Old 06-08-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Billy bookcases from IKEA + 2 extra shelves each + glass doors for the front = perfect.
Old 06-08-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Billy bookcases from IKEA + 2 extra shelves each + glass doors for the front = perfect.
This. And to the guy above from NY...who hasn't at least heard of IKEA?!
Old 06-08-11, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
okay, figured out how to post pictures. Not the best quality but it will give an idea of the approach I took making my own shelving from scratch. This is part of a small room I finished in my basement outside the equipment room closet of my HT. It also includes a refigerator and microwave on a facing wall.

Looks really nice, but it doesn't look like you've got much room to grow.
Old 06-08-11, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Looks really nice, but it doesn't look like you've got much room to grow.
Behind the door knob in the first picture is a closet to get to the back of my equipment. In there I have another two smaller units that are currently about 60% full (they were built first). These outer units were just finished this past Christmas. I just continue to add on as needed. I have the technique for building these down now. But honestly, my collection is fairly complete for what I want from the past. I just need to maintain space for what is still to come.
Old 06-09-11, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
We have to drive almost 2 hours to get to IKEA. We brought the billy bookcases home in my Grand Prix. Stuffed diagonally across from the front passenger seat to basically just slightly sticking out the window. 7 foot bookcases in a passenger car! Totally worth it.
Old 06-20-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
IKEA website says they are 11" deep. Far from perfect.

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I was going to let it pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.