Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best HTIB for the money??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a system for my room. My good stuff is going to the den with a new roommate. I would like to get something very good to great (for a home theater in a box) for less than $200....I would go $250 if absolutely amazing. Ebay is an option, so if something sells there or on Half in my range I would consider. Must be 5.1, DTS, component inputs, pro scan, etc. Basically I am looking for my $5000 system in a $200-250 system, lol.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of a world do you live in? There is NO WAY you can get a "good to great" HTIB for $200-250. New HTIBs in that range are complete garbage, and even used systems on ebay at that price range will be poor.
Old 07-17-03, 10:11 AM

damn. I was really hoping I could find something acceptable for the bedroom. Anything? I am leaning toward a panasonic I guess. I just cant afford to build a second even decent system in my bedroom. The least I could do that for is about $1500. Paradigm speakers and Yamaha rcvr + cheap prog scan dvd player
Old 07-17-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you could get the onkyo htib. i own that one and am very satisfied with it. sounded much better than any htib i listened to. but it doubles your price range, i think it is still about $500. also no dvd player in this system. but again the sound is awesome compared to the sony's, kenwoods. or panasonics that i listened too. i originally bought a $300 kenwood system and ended up returning it for the onkyo.
Old 07-17-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
seems like you're looking for something with a dvd player too.

this onkyo system with 5 disc dvd changer is pretty good for $439:

http://www.shoponkyo.com/special.cfm

the other route is to buy some 5.1 speaker set and a receiver seperately. i got a fluance av-htb speaker system for $225 shipped (check ebay if you're interested), and hooked it up to an old reciever i had. i think that this is a really good set of speakers for the price. you could just buy a decent receiver like the onkyo txsr500 for $150, and that'd be a pretty decent system for the price. then, you could pick up a progressive scan dvd player for $100. that'd be around $500 total.
Old 07-17-03, 09:07 PM

yamaha HTIB are good. i got one for our guest house, and it really does amaze me for the price. i think it was 500$ though. whatever you do, don't get a sony. i was tempted becuase they look good, but then i heard one and it was absolute trash in my opinion.
Old 07-17-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
sony audio products aren't as good as their video products, IMO. and even then, they're usually overpriced. not a good buy if you're on a tight budget.
Old 07-18-03, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

moving to hardware
Old 07-18-03, 12:27 PM

ok, the problem isnt buying receiver/speakers/dvd player. I have seen some of these that I could get quality everything for about $500...its about moving all of this stuff. I already have 4 floorstanding Boston Acoustics, Yamaha rcvr, boston center, and HK dvd player to move. I just want something small, decent, that will do the trick.
Old 07-19-03, 01:07 AM

I changed my mind, well sorta. I am gonna go with separates, because every thing I read sucked, until I got over $600 and for that I may as well buy cheaper separates.

Toshiba 3900= $60-75 on ebay
Old 07-19-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're looking to minimize connections and space requirements, you might also look at an all-in-one, like the JVC, Onkyo, or Sony. I've seen the JVC priced as low as $200; it sounds/looks pretty good considering the price point--in fact I thought it sounded quite a bit better than some of the low priced receivers like the Onkyo 600. This approach would also give you the freedom to choose speakers w/o being tied to a specific package.