Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for best HDTV 55-60 inch for $2500 and under? Deliver to NYC

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is for a friend but looking for the best value out there (maybe a special deal) for a 55-60 inch HDTV. If this has been posted before could you please provide the link as I do not frequent this forum as much as I do others.
Old 05-07-03, 04:04 PM

I recently ordered a 51inch Sony from goodguys.com.

The things I liked about them was 1 free shipping (will ship anywhere in US they say)

And they have a 10% coupon (it is automaticly appliyed) for orders over 200$ (not a big deal for a HDTV).

To make the deal even better there are websites who will give you cash back for buying goodguys thru their links. I know I am not allowed to say which site exactly but I think its okay to say it exists because I dont see a DVDtalk affilate link to goodguys. And that should get you another 2-2.2% back.

Of course this is only a deal if you want one of the TVs that goodguys is selling for the TV I got it was the cheapest I could find it anywhere.
Old 05-07-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend the Mitsubishis. And Drimmer's in Brooklyn on Coney Island Ave. has good prices. Give 'em a call.
Old 05-07-03, 04:50 PM
DB

Pioneer 533-hd5 being clearanced out of onecall.com. 53" widescreen, widely regarded as having the best stretch mode for watching regular tv in its price range.
Old 05-08-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some of my favorite sets that fit your criteria:

Toshiba 57HDX82
Mits WS-55411
Mits WS-55511 (integrated HDTV)
Old 05-08-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been reading some very favorable reviews of the new Sony RPTV HDTV line. They all say lots of bang for the buck, and that there's very little calibration to do when it's hooked up.
Old 05-08-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a Costco by you they are selling the Pioneer SD-642 64" HDTV thta is outstanding and has the best line doubler out their except for the Pioneer Elite HDTV's! It's going for a mere $2300.00!
Old 05-15-03, 08:15 PM

I would highly recommend the Hitachi 51SWX20B. I just got a new one from Sears for $1555 shipped after pricematch. It is rated by Stereophile Guide to Home theater as the best 51" RPTV currently available.

JK
Old 05-15-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

51". Too small! $^) BTW, true story on Hitachi RPTV's (although YMMV): A friend bought a Hitachi a couple of years back despite my recommendations for a Mitsu. Besides being poorly calibrated/aligned out of the box (it *never* looked good), within 2 months it blew the green gun. And Hitachi said they were 'out of stock' on replacements and it would be at least *3 months* to get it replaced. (It was 3.5 mos. or so.) That stinks.

As for 'out of the box' quality, I have no qualms with tweaking my Mitsu, based on extensive info at hometheaterspot. And once it's done, it's fine. (Not that it was bad to begin with, apart from the excessive contrast and color levels.) But I straightened the geometry nicely and set the overscan to a uniform 4.5% all around, plus did the 64-pt. alignment and the usual color/tint/cont adjustments, all from the remote. I doubt *any* set will be that accurate out of the box....
Old 05-16-03, 01:56 AM

Interesting. I started out shopping for a Mits, then switched to Hitachi & Toshiba for their stretch modes. But now I have to say that I am strongly leaning towards the Pioneer 643 at Costco. The value and quality of that set (based on everything I've read, and that's an embarrasing amount) coupled with Costco's wicked sweet return policy looks like a winner.