Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

720p To 1080i Converter?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

720p To 1080i Converter?

Old 04-24-03, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
720p To 1080i Converter?

Does anyone know how I can convert 720p To 1080i. I was searcing the web to find out but just got lost. I just got HDTV cable and didn't know that ESPN is in this format. My tv doesn't do 720p and I wondering if there is a receiver that will convert it or and add on that I might be able to get.

Thx 4 Any Info....

~LP
Old 04-24-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of HDTV do you have? There are aren't many TVs that wil display 720p natively but they will usually upconvert the signal to 1080i. Also if you're using a HD digital cable box to receive the signal it might upconvert any 720p to 1080i for output. I don't have satalite but I wasn't aware that dish or direct TV were carrying ESPN HD yet but if they are the STB should upconvert to 1080i before sending it to your TV also. So really you shouldn't need any converter since what you already have to get HD should do it for you.
Old 04-24-03, 01:34 PM

I have a Sony 36" XBR400. Not sure but don't think that it will convert it by it's self. The cable box I have is a S-A 3100. Think it is thier old one. Can't find if the newer one will convert it.

TY

~LP
Old 04-24-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well the TV doesn't have a built in tuner but I think it will upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i when that's what is sent to it. So if your cable box sends either 720p or 1080i the tv will display either one as 1080i. Now if you have a cable box that will send out all signals to 1080i then it's doing the conversion and it might do a better job than the tv does at converting since it might do it while the signal is still in digital form. So it sounds like you don't need a converter. Why do you think that you needed it? Is ESPN HD not displaying correctly?
Old 04-24-03, 02:13 PM

No ESPN looks smushed and I can't see the scores at the bottom. I think ABC is the same at times. HBO, Showtime, CBS, and the Discovery channels look fine. Thx for helping

~LP
Old 04-25-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you have the cable box connected? Is it with SVideo or component cables? If it is with component cables you'll need to switch to 16x9 mode manually to view 16x9 material. The Sony does it automatically if it's hook up with svideo. I'm not familiar with your cable box but maybe there is a switch on the back for how it handles 720p signals. Have you tried calling the cable company? It could be that they're sending the HD signal in the wrong format if it's "smushed".