Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap SACD Players??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap SACD Players??

Hey, I've been trying to find an affordable SACD player.

I dont need one that plays dvds. I have 4 dvd players between the computer, ps2, and 2 standard.

Does anyone know of any affordable (>200) that are available now? Or any news on upcoming releases?
Old 04-15-03, 12:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Moving]

This is more a a hardware/shopping issue and, as such, its proper home currently is the Other Forum where I hope you will get some useful suggestions.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Old 04-15-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

umm i got a sony one 5 disc carousel for around 249 i think that was a while back early adopter.

i got mine at best buy. sorry forgot to put where i got it from
Old 04-15-03, 12:58 PM

I think the one you have has been discontinued.

I just saw one on ebay go for like $202...but still a little higher than I want to spend. For that, I might as well sell my dvd players and buy the Sony model that has dvd and SACD...Ive seen it on ebay for around 200

I just dont want to go through the trouble of selling my systems on ebay....big pain.

None of the companies have announced new "value" players coming out soon?
Old 04-15-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
All I know is that I just picked up that new Sony that palys DVD/SACD/CD/MP3 and it is fantastic. A great DVD player and a great SACD player. I wish I'd bought it months ago.
Old 04-15-03, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

there are sum cheap ~200 DVD-A/SACD players that were announced at the CES. Should be out soon.
Old 04-15-03, 01:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: [Moving]

Originally posted by benedict
This is more a a hardware/shopping issue and, as such, its proper home currently is the Other Forum where I hope you will get some useful suggestions.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Uh, I *think* that we have a little forum somewhere for hardware.
Old 04-15-03, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
there are sum cheap ~200 DVD-A/SACD players that were announced at the CES. Should be out soon.
Do you have the brand and model names?
Old 04-15-03, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

I know the Pioneer DV-563A & DV-663 for sure but there are others.
Old 04-15-03, 07:39 PM

Well, even without a SACD player, I bought Dark Side Of The Moon today.

I couldnt help but get it after reading the reviews...plus it was the last one they had.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something to play it on soon.
Old 04-15-03, 07:41 PM

I just picked up a Sony DVP-NS755V (progressive scan DVD, multi-channel SACD, MP3, etc). They start at under $200 (plus ship), or you can get an open box one for about $168 plus ship.
Old 04-15-03, 07:50 PM

http://r1.east.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/htt...000&site=YAHOO
Old 04-16-03, 12:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yes, but....

<small>
Originally posted by Dead
Uh, I *think* that we have a little forum somewhere for hardware.
</small>.... regardless of subsequent thread-drift, the threadstarter clealry requested information concerning a non-DVD, CD player: the DVD & Home Theater Hardware (Forum) is where people go to discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment which is another animal albeit possibly a related one.

Thus, requests for CD players etc are akin to digi-cam threads, IMNSHO, and have their home in Other. I think that this may have been discussed here or elsewhere before but I am hot and thirsty and can't take the time to check just now []
Old 04-17-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

.... regardless of subsequent thread-drift, the threadstarter clealry requested information concerning a non-DVD, CD player: the DVD & Home Theater Hardware (Forum) is where people go to discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment which is another animal albeit possibly a related one.
Many (almost all currently) SACD players are in fact DVD players as well. SACD is a format based on DVD media. SACD can be 5.1 multichannel. SACD players are components within a Home Theater.

Yep, this thread belongs right in Hardware.

As for cheap players, take a look at the 222ES from Sony. It is an audio only unit and should be able to be found for about $325-375. Once you start to build a collection of SACD, the 5 disc changer found on this unit will be a god send.

I have been really satisfied with my player. It may be a bit pricey for you, but remember all ES products come with a 5 year warranty in the US which means this player will be somewhat of a long term investment. Check out J and R for decent pricing on this unit.

J
Old 04-17-03, 12:21 AM

Ummm, I just checked J and R for the player you mentioned and it says its only available in NY, NJ, CT, & PA. Whats the deal with that???
Old 04-17-03, 10:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Master J
Yep, this thread belongs right in Hardware.
Doubtless Geoff will "chip in" if, in the light of observations made here, he wishes to add SACD to the Hardware/Home-Theatre forum description.
Super Audio CD

SACD is a competitive format developed by Philips & Sony and intended as a replacement for the CD

Philips and Sony have been working on an alternative specification called Super Audio CD which uses a different audio coding method, Direct Stream Digital (DSD) and the use of a hybrid disc format.

SACD is claimed to fully meet the ISC requirements and to provide a format, which is good for another 20 years. SACD offers high quality, multi-channel audio, CD compatibility, copy protection and added features. The main parameters are:

Up to 100kHz bandwidth
120 dB dynamic range
Full quality for all channels
Hybrid disc (CD and DVD)
Watermarking and copy protection
Text, graphics and video
[....]
The hybrid CD/DVD disc format allows the same disc to play on existing audio players as well as Super Audio CD players.
Old 04-17-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummm, I just checked J and R for the player you mentioned and it says its only available in NY, NJ, CT, & PA. Whats the deal with that???
Just give them a call. I think it is something that they have to legally do, with their Sony ES agreeement, along the lines of only selling online within driving distance.

J
Old 04-17-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doubtless Geoff will "chip in" if, in the light of observations made here, he wishes to add SACD to the Hardware/Home-Theatre forum description.
SACD hardware should be discussed here, and SACD software in the music forum. In the current model lines coming out this year, every low cost SACD capable unit, is a DVD player as well. By default you would be discussing here anyway in the future, as SACD audio only players are almost a thing of the past, with only very high dollar with the ones available.