Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Know How to Fix a DVD Player<?>

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-08-03, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...or at least diagnose it, I have two nonworking models that I would like to use, any ideas?

pioneer dv-414
jvc xv501
Old 04-08-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paperweights
Old 04-08-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, probably not worth it to repair them. $100 gets you a decent non progressive scan unit these days...so why play around fixing busted ones?
Old 04-08-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You need to provide more information before I can help. What's wrong with it exactly?

(I've fixed my DVD player and TV after they went up in smoke due to lightning).
Old 04-08-03, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by broadwayblue
yeah, probably not worth it to repair them. $100 gets you a decent non progressive scan unit these days...so why play around fixing busted ones?
exactly that, to just play around...
I already have a couple of working ones I thought if anyone had done this before or anything it may be fun to tinker with
they're kinds old, some friends gave them to me because they didn't work and I like to mess with electronics, obviously not dvd players though...
Old 04-08-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's worth it to fix it if you can yourself. Fixing my DVD player cost me less that $5 in parts and my TV was less than $15 in parts.
Old 04-08-03, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by asabase
You need to provide more information before I can help. What's wrong with it exactly?

(I've fixed my DVD player and TV after they went up in smoke due to lightning).
one doesn't power up and the other does but the tray does not open, there may be more wrong with it than that, but that is the basic problems
i didn't want to go opening it up and messing with stuff without knowing what i was doing...
Old 04-08-03, 02:07 PM
Banned

Swap the CD-ROM drive units (if they are compatible) and see if one of them ends up working. Did you check the power supply on the one that doesn't power up?

There is a possibility that you can remove the DVD-ROM drive and use it in a computer.
Old 04-08-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the one that doesn't open up: Check the fuse. Replace if blown. If it blows again you have a short, most likely in the switching FET (biggest transistor near the power input and filter capacitor - should have a hefty heatsink). Make sure the source-drain (or emitter-collector if it is a BJT) resistance is really high to test it. If transistor turns out to be ok, mess around with a multimeter until you find the short. Sometimes it's a blown capacitor or diode in the bridge rectifier.

If you aren't blowing fuses, first check all the main bus voltages with a multimeter. They should be labeled. If they are ok, do a check for obvious problems like disconnected connectors or blown discrete compoents. If you can't find anything it's probably not worth fixing since everything else will be surface mount and a pain to test. Even if you do find the problem, good luck soldering in a new component.

For the busted tray: Check for obstructions. Make sure the drive is getting power. Check the open button is working. Try applying a couple volts to the motor to make sure it works. If you don't find anything after that, I'd give up, it's not worth your time.
Old 04-08-03, 03:04 PM

THANKS I will try with this new information