Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm moving to Australia, what do I need to do the following...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the power and TV format are different.

One thing I want to take is my receiver but the power is not switchable. Is there a power converter (I'm guessing a step down transformer) to take 220 50Hz to 120 60Hz? If so anyone have a link to such a device?

I was originally going to take my bigscreen with me just for R1 DVD watching but I have decided not too so....are there PAL DVD players that will play NTSC DVDs in progressive scan and display them properly? I am only familiar with DVD players that do PAL to NTSC.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-03, 01:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
A home theater computer will do whatever you want region/format-wise.
Old 03-14-03, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by X
A home theater computer will do whatever you want region/format-wise.
That outputs progressive PAL on NTSC DVDs? Please educate me.
Old 03-14-03, 04:58 PM
X
Administrator

PAL or NTSC is irrelevant with VGA or component out. The TV, RPTV or projector that accept those inputs work essentially as a computer monitor. This form of output doesn't have to be encoded as does s-video or composite for ultimate decoding by the display device.

You do have to deal with the speed difference of PAL with software geared toward NTSC. WinDVD 4 has a speed adjustment but I haven't tried it.
Old 03-15-03, 05:57 PM

X,

Can you point me to a resource that describes building an HTPC (boards, video cards, sound, etc to buy)?

Thanks
Old 03-15-03, 06:57 PM
X
Administrator

The last two pages of this thread have some information and I'm sure we can help you out some more too.

I originally learned at the HTPC Forum at AVS Forum but there is so much going on there it would take a pretty long time to get up to speed. I would recommend starting with this FAQ over there and then coming here for specifics.

Generally, you just need a Pentium III/733MHz CPU or better, quiet fans, and good, but relatively inexpensive, video and audio cards and DVD-ROMs. The software, other than the OS, is fairly inexpensive. Depending on your display device, you might need a transcoder which converts your video card's VGA output to component for the display's input.
Old 03-15-03, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by X
The last two pages of this thread have some information and I'm sure we can help you out some more too.

I originally learned at the HTPC Forum at AVS Forum but there is so much going on there it would take a pretty long time to get up to speed. I would recommend starting with this FAQ over there and then coming here for specifics.

Generally, you just need a Pentium III/733MHz CPU or better, quiet fans, and good, but relatively inexpensive, video and audio cards and DVD-ROMs. The software, other than the OS, is fairly inexpensive. Depending on your display device, you might need a transcoder which converts your video card's VGA output to component for the display's input.

Thanks...I started to research it myself and ended up at AVS but it is a bit much over there for someone just starting out.

Funny I would figured you would need high-end PC gear for this. I was prepared to pay big bucks.
Old 03-15-03, 09:37 PM

Oh yeah...one more thing. You mention PIII. AMD won't work well for HTPC?
Old 03-15-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this why you rarely post nowadays?

Aside from your dreams of producing the 5th season of Farscape down there, why are you moving to Australia?

das
Old 03-15-03, 09:58 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by palebluedot
Oh yeah...one more thing. You mention PIII. AMD won't work well for HTPC?
AMD will work fine.

It's just that AMD chips usually require more cooling than lower-end Intels and therefore increase the noise of the HTPC due to more air needing to be moved.
Old 03-15-03, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Is this why you rarely post nowadays?

Aside from your dreams of producing the 5th season of Farscape down there, why are you moving to Australia?

das
Well they are a at least two seasons behind there so I have ample time to massage my scripts....you know [kramer] "give them my treatment" [/kramer].

Well I haven't made the final decision to move yet but I am 97% sure. It's a chance to head up a development team in Australia because of the demads the Asia/Pac area puts on us. We need some developers in the same time zone. It's just too much for us to be working 16 - 18 hour days every day, we have had three heart attacks in the past month all stress related!

Look at it this way...now you will have a place to come visit.
Old 03-15-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can certainly understand that. It's a pain in the ass for me to just keep up with our customers in California. I can't imagine having to take care of business out in Asia/Pac.

Before I come to visit, though, I'll need to know what the customs laws are regarding the Koala.

[/Hijack]

das
Old 03-15-03, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I can certainly understand that. It's a pain in the ass for me to just keep up with our customers in California. I can't imagine having to take care of business out in Asia/Pac.

Before I come to visit, though, I'll need to know what the customs laws are regarding the Koala.

[/Hijack]

das

Got to be careful of those things they are vicious...same as Roos.