Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

new protection on DVD discs???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has a Sampo DVD player, with the famous loophole menu. I have a Malata N996 with a default region 1. None of them are playing any of the new DVDs that came out in 2002. What happens is the movie is playing, but for some reason there is a black square displayed in front of the movie -- you can tell the movie is playing by the narrow strip just outside of the black square and you can hear the sound, but the square is right there in the center of the screen taking up about 95% of it.

Now, this is not Macrovision. I don't think it's ERC either, since we set the players to be region 1 players. So what the heck is this thing? Old DVDs (Jurassic Park, Blues Brothers) can be viewed just fine, it's the new ones that don't work... Any ideas? Anybody having the same problem?
Old 09-08-02, 08:55 PM

I have the Malata N996 and have had no problems with the dozens of 2002 DVDs I own. Which titles in particular have given you and your friend a problem?
Old 09-08-02, 09:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, peter512! Since this is more of a hardware/technical issue, I'm sending it to the Hardware Forum.
Old 09-08-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A few years ago I had a problem that sounds identical to yours. Turned out it was some misadjusted settings on my player, which was new then and I wasn't used to it's options. You might check your player's setting. Unfortunately, I don't recall what it was I did that fixed my problem. I think I fixed it by accident.
Old 09-08-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: new protection on DVD discs???

Now, here's a common solution to a common problem...

The TV's closed captioning may be set to TEXT, which puts a black square on the TV on which the closed captioning scrolls.

I've had many people ask me that, and it was that simple a problem. If it's not that, take Jon2's approach.
Old 09-10-02, 02:01 PM

Hey guys!

Yes!!! DonnachaOne -- you were right! It was the TV's closed captioning! Man, am I relieved ;-) Thank you for your help! Appreciate it a lot!