Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-19-02, 03:35 PM   #1
jetjaguar69

sony vs. toshiba or panasonic dvd player?

I need to upgrade my old 1999 dvd sony player. I was wondering
which dvd out there would match up well with my new sony wega
36inch with component input. Any suggestions?

thanks,
jg

Last edited by jetjaguar69; 08-21-02 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 05:29 PM   #2
skar
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does your Wega accept a progressive signal?

I'm a big Panasonic fan. Check out the RP62 and RP82. Both are great values and are progressive scan models. The RP62 comes in silver to match Wega's and other TV's. The RP82 is silver/black and also matches Wega's.
Old 08-19-02, 06:23 PM   #3
nekobus
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by skar

I'm a big Panasonic fan. Check out the RP62 and RP82. Both are great values and are progressive scan models. The RP62 comes in silver to match Wega's and other TV's. The RP82 is silver/black and also matches Wega's.
The 82 is actually all silver, the part that looks black is really a chrome color. The silver and black picture is of a prototype.

I agree with Skar about the Pannies. The 82 ($206 at onecall.com) has better picture quality and more features than the 62 for about $30-40 more. It combines the best of the RP-91 and 56/62 lines into one unit.
Old 08-19-02, 06:53 PM   #4
jetjaguar69

Quote:
Originally posted by skar

My wega will not accept progressive signal. But it is the top of the line wega(analog).

jg

Last edited by jetjaguar69; 08-19-02 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 07:28 PM   #5
gotapex

You can still output interlaced from those Panny's. The RP82 is probably your best choice.
Old 08-19-02, 08:01 PM   #6
skinsfan
Cool New Member

I saw a review that said the Toshiba 5700 had a better picture, but that the sound was better in the Pannys
Old 08-19-02, 08:34 PM   #7
gotapex

Quote:
Originally posted by skinsfan
I saw a review that said the Toshiba 5700 had a better picture, but that the sound was better in the Pannys
Happen to have a url?
Old 08-19-02, 10:53 PM   #8
GMLSKIS
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would buy a Sony DVD player to go with the Sony Wega TV.
Sony is great quality.
Old 08-20-02, 10:00 AM   #9
Johnny Zhivago
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of Sony players also have the chroma bug > http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html < but this may or may not matter to you since you can't use a progressive scan player and/or may never notice...

Personally, I'd go with a Panny... The new models (and most older ones) are chroma bug free and are nice bang for your buck players...

Dilauded is pure sunshine wrapped in bacon and delivered straight to your pleasure center by a naked goddess. If I could get my hands on a gallon of it, I would start a new religion. - Cosmosguy
Old 08-20-02, 02:17 PM   #10
Master J
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are looking for a new interlaced player, check out www.6ave.com ...they have the Panasonic RA-60 interlaced player on clearance for $117 plus shipping. This player has the added benefit of DVD-A and great interlaced output. No need to get a progressive scan player when your TV cannot display the signal and prices are coming down all the time. I have been very impressed with this player, as an upgrade over my previous Pioneer DV-525. DVD-A is very very nice.

J

Disclaimer: I do not work for nor have any affiliation with any of the stores that may be mentioned in the preceding post.
Old 08-20-02, 07:33 PM   #11
GMLSKIS
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[quote]Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
[b]A lot of Sony players also have the chroma bug > http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html < but this may or may not matter to you since you can't use a progressive scan player and/or may never notice...

My Sony player has the so called chroma bug but I defy you to even see it. It is such a non issue that it doesn't warrent even mentioning anymore. I still suggest the Sony to compliment the Sony TV.
Old 08-21-02, 07:57 PM   #12
jetjaguar69

Thanks

Thanks for all the info you all!