Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Satellite TV video hookup question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a quick search through the forums, and couldn't find an answer, so if I missed it, please forgive me...

I plan on buying a house in the next few months (hopefully). Currently I am subscribing to TW RoadRunner cable, and I have a Sony 36" XBR400 set. I have heard that the video quality is leaps & bounds better with a dish signal over an analog video signal (which I believe, I'm not arguing that point). In any event, I thought I would wait until I moved out of my apartment before I delved into the Dish TV world. Through some research, it seems there are two options for me as far as video hookup - coax cable (like my current setup) and s-video. Are there , for example, DirecTV receivers that come with component out ports? Or do any of the Dish companies carry such a receiver? S-Video would be a step up from coax, but ideally a component hookup for the dish would be optimal, but I can't seem to find out any information about this, leading me to believe that such receivers aren't provided by the several dish companies.

Can anyone confirm this for me?
Old 08-13-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I can't speak for Directv, but I can for Dishnetwork.

Yes, there is 1 receiver for Dishnetwork that has component out ports. This is the 6000 HDTV receiver (capable of decoding OTA and satellite HD signals). I have it and love it; the HDTV picture is more real and than itself (if that is possible!). I don't know if this XBR400 tv you have is HDTV compatible but it doesn't really matter since the receiver also downconverts to 480p and still gives you an amazing picture in HD mode.

The problem is that if you have an HDTV connected with component outputs while watching a non-SD show, it will not look so good (since you're basically blowing up a low-resolution picture). But in SD mode, the picture is better (you'll understand this statement better when you have the 6000).

Now for directv, the Hughes HIRD-E86 HDTV receiver also has component outputs.
Old 08-13-02, 11:16 AM

I don't know if this XBR400 tv you have is HDTV compatible
It is, but like most other sets, it requires an additional decoder box - but since the receiver you are mentioning does the decoding, I can forego that expense (at least for HD signals). I don't mind switching modes either, I'm constantly switching modes on my TV as it is (some cable channels look better under different settings).

I really haven't done a lot of research (yet) in regards to which company to go with, etc., but I was just hoping that I could do better than S-Video hookups when/if I subsrcibed. Many thanks for the info!
Old 08-13-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dvddude23
It is, but like most other sets, it requires an additional decoder box - but since the receiver you are mentioning does the decoding, I can forego that expense (at least for HD signals). I don't mind switching modes either, I'm constantly switching modes on my TV as it is (some cable channels look better under different settings).

I really haven't done a lot of research (yet) in regards to which company to go with, etc., but I was just hoping that I could do better than S-Video hookups when/if I subsrcibed. Many thanks for the info!
Well there you go. Both the dish6000 and the E86 will decode HDTV and also decode Over-the-air digital signals (including HDTV signals).