Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

satellite transponders

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

satellite transponders

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satellite transponders

so I moved my tv from the fam. room to the living room , instead of running a long stretch of coax i moved my dish, but now i can't seem to get a signal.
I double checked and triple checked all connections, do transponders go bad and if so where can i get one with a single output.
Old 07-12-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: satellite transponders

Originally posted by psxfan2
so I moved my tv from the fam. room to the living room , instead of running a long stretch of coax i moved my dish, but now i can't seem to get a signal.
I double checked and triple checked all connections, do transponders go bad and if so where can i get one with a single output.
Did you install the dish yourself the first time, or was it professionally installed?
If you didn't do it yourself, you are either going to have to pay to have it aimed properly, or with a little research do it yourself.
It is a very simple process, but you can't just eyeball it and be 100% accurate. Keep in mind that your talking about 1000's of miles in the sky...an inch down here may mean you are miles off target up there.
Also, no sure what you mean about a 'transponder' going bad, as transponder is another word for the satellite that's floating in space, nothing to do with your dish or receiver.
Old 07-12-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suggest buying a signal meter from radio shack for ~20$.
Old 07-12-02, 01:39 PM

yeah i did install it myself, when i perform a test it tells me theres an antenna error and to check your connections and i'm getting no signal at all.

just checked my manual i should have said the LNB not transponder do these go bad.
sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by psxfan2; 07-12-02 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-12-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's highly likely you just don't have the dish installed/aimed correctly. I am a DISH retailer/installer and I do get quite a bit of business from customers who want to install it themselves but get nowhere so they have to call a pro! My first suggestion is for you to be sure the mount is plumb. If it isn't, you will have a near impossible time getting it working!
Old 07-12-02, 11:34 PM
Banned

Transponders are up on the Satellite. Basically, each transponder hold a certain number of channels. When you select a channel to view, the receiver automatically picks the correct transponder and satellite to pull the channel off. If the connections are ok, then it has to be the dish point. LNBF fail rate is very small and you would most likely just be missing signal on odd transponders rather than complete signal loss. Cable problems are the opposite, loss of signal on even transponders. You can get a signal by moving it around a little after checking your numbers, just be very patient, it can take awhile.
Old 07-13-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Frank S
It's highly likely you just don't have the dish installed/aimed correctly. I am a DISH retailer/installer and I do get quite a bit of business from customers who want to install it themselves but get nowhere so they have to call a pro! My first suggestion is for you to be sure the mount is plumb. If it isn't, you will have a near impossible time getting it working!
Hey, Frank S. What do you suggest for a good antenna to receive OTA HD channels on my dish 6000 receiver?