Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PANASONIC: 3rd Generation DVD Recorders...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-27-02, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you know, I am a proponent of the Pioneer line of DVD stand-alone recorders: the consumer DVR-7000 and the professional PVR-9000 units. However, here is some encouraging news from Panasonic regarding their next generation of recorders (which up until now have really sucked) coming in August:

Generation 3, Already: Believe it or not, the third generation of settop DVD recorders will be making their way to store shelves in August when Panasonic introduces their DMR-E30 and DMR-HS2 progressive scan models. The DMRE30 will be priced around $799.95. This player/recorder is said to be an improvement over previous models with a less complex set of menus and overall improved ease of use. In addition, like previous models from Panasonic, the DMR-E30 can record on both DVD-RAM (6 hours on a single side, or 12 hours on a double-sided disc) and DVD-R (6 hours) discs. The DMR-HS2 -- priced at $1199.95 -- will include the same features as well as a built-in hard disc. Much like a Personal Video Recorder, this will allow up to 52 hours of programming to be stored for later playback. The advantage is the ability to directly record any or all of the stored material (making it possible to edit programs, remove commercials, etc.). The DMR-HS2 will also feature high-speed recording from the hard disc to DVD. An hour of stored programming can be burned onto a disc in about 5 minutes. Both units will include the standard Panasonic features such as Time Slip, which enables the "replay a scene recorded 30 seconds earlier without disrupting the recording process, simply by touching a button on the remote."

I can only hope that these new units will be on the same page as the Pioneer DVR-7000. I don't expect them to measure up to the PVR-9000 as it's a professional recorder. In any event, at least Panasonic has addressed their past problems and have improved upon them. We'll have to wait until August and see how good these units really are.