Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is color banding present on HDTV's?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search turned up no results.

On many of my DVD's, I can see very noticable color banding (mostly in dark scenes or scenes with heavy fog). My TV is an aging 27 inch JVC and I have plans to upgrade to either a widescreen Toshiba rear projection HDTV or possibly the HD Sony crt Wega (36 inch).

What I want to know is simple. Will that color banding go away on the new display or is this an actual known artifact of the DVD's?

Some of the DVD's in question include recent release such as From Hell, The Phantom Menace and other high budget releases.

For anyone not sure of what color banding is, it's when a long color gradient is broken up into distinct and noticable sections. As an example, get a nice 32 bit image of a sunset or anything with long drawn out color transitions, then set your desktop color depth to 16 bit. You'll see it. Perhaps it's not called color banding in DVD circles but that's the only term I know for it.
Old 06-11-02, 01:02 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
No, dammit, it isn't present.

I'm actually surprised you see something like that. It seems to me that it would be more dependent on your player than the TV. But I've used regular players and computers as sources for an HDTV and there is no banding. There really shouldn't be any for a TV either though. It certainly isn't an artifact resulting from the manufacture of the DVD.
Old 06-11-02, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see it in every scene or anything. Just scenes like the ones I described above.

My TV is dying. A former room mate spilled a generous amount of water right into the top rear vent a couple years ago (while it was on). I figured that would end up taking 5 years off it's life. It hasn't been quite the same since but it's degrading further lately. Picture is getting progressively darker. There's some color bleeding present for the first few minutes when you turn it on now. It's a dark, sad time in my home entertainment metropolis...

Until I get a new HDTV and I kick that old piece of crap to the curb!

Good to know that the banding will be gone (unless by some cruel twist of fate it's actually my player). Thanks for the response.

I'll be back with a ton of questions about HDTV's in the coming months by the way. Prepare yourselves for my ignorrance!