Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you purchase Extended Warranty/Service Plans?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Do you purchase Extended Warranty/Service Plans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DigIt
This is almost always the case. The extended warranty is merely a scheme to make more money -- the store is making almost pure profit off of it, so it tries to convince you that you need it.

You'd be much better off keeping the money than gambling that you'll have one of the few units that will break outside of the manufacturer's standard warranty. I've never had it happen, and I don't know anyone who has had it happen to them.

I agree! I usually don't purchase extended warranties from merchants on the account of that same reason. I buy high quality brand names, and hopefully that the product doesn't encounter any kind of manufacture defects.
Luckly, I haven't had any problems with none of my audio, or video equipment as yet... Knock on wood, and all the majority of my warranties on the equipment that i have has already expired.
Old 09-24-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Hmmmm....
It seems like most people tend to pass on these, as do I, but I also notice that most people tend to make an exception for their HDTV.

I am thinking about picking up a 42" widescreen HDTV for about $1600. The extended warranty is $300, AND we might be moving in a 6 months, so maybe this is worth it after all??

Anyone actually had to USE their extended warranty on a HDTV? ? ?
Old 09-24-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by uteotw
Hmmmm....
It seems like most people tend to pass on these, as do I, but I also notice that most people tend to make an exception for their HDTV.

I am thinking about picking up a 42" widescreen HDTV for about $1600. The extended warranty is $300, AND we might be moving in a 6 months, so maybe this is worth it after all??

Anyone actually had to USE their extended warranty on a HDTV? ? ?
I never bought an extended warranty until I bought my rptv. The warranty covers cleaning and adjustments so I figure it's worth it. Based on my experiences over the past few weeks I'd say you should work with the sales people, they can usually work out a reduced price on the service plan.
Old 11-05-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Do you purchase Extended Warranty/Service Plans?

Only with Mac Laptops, otherwise not at all. I still regret buying the extended warranty on my kick ass JCV stereo that has not faltered at all here in the last decade.

Old 11-05-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You've been here awhile, it must've been hard to find a thread that ended before you signed up, on a topic you wished to discuss.
Old 11-06-10, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

I purchased a Westinghouse LVM-42w2 1080P Monitor from BB back in June 06. I also purchased a 4 year warranty for $159. After almost 2 years of heavy use. I started having problems with the panel. So I called BB about the PSP warranty. They made a appointment with a local repair shop. The guy shows up a few days later.He checked out the panel ans says it's defective. Told me all he could do is report back to BB and tell then what his findings were. And they will make the determination if they want to replace the panel or replace the while monitor/TV.

So after some confusion from BB whether they were going to replace the panel. They finally decided to replace the TV. They told me I would get a full refund of $1499.99 towards what ever TV I wanted. So before returning the TV to my local BB I decided to go down and see what I wanted to get. I found the HD-TV I wanted but was told by the sales rep I could only get the newer 42" Westinghouse one. I told them I was not buying another Westinghouse and wanted something else. They told me since the Westinghouse was $1050 I could use that as credit towards the other model I picked out. I told them that is not what corporate BB told me. They said I would have $1499.99 in credit, what I paid for the original tv. They called BB back and confirmed it. I wanted a Samsung LN52A550 but both local BB's did not have them in stock and said it could take up to 3 weeks to arrive. I waited 3 weeks and still none in stock. So I settled on a Sammy LN46A580 1080p LCD. After my $1499.99 credit and 12% off coupon. I paid about $500 more and that included another 4 year warranty plan for $249.

I've had the Sammy for almost 2.5 years and knock on wood no problems so far. I been told if I had to replace this TV under warranty I would not be as lucky as before and get a full refund. I guess we will find out when the time comes.

I still have my Toshiba HD-A2 which I brought from BB for $400. The extended warranty was $79. Come Dec 28 of this year it will expire. I wish this sucker would break so I would like to see what they would replace this with.