Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about daisy-chaining DVD changers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-12-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone. A friend and I were having a discussion about DVD changers, and this question stems from it. I own over 250 DVDs, and switching between them sucks. I'd like to have them all loaded into one jukebox. However, I'd also like to keep expanding my DVD collection, and I don't want to buy a changer only to fill it up and have to keep changing discs anyway!

So here's my question: How many (and which kinds of) DVD changers support daisy-chaining, such that you can just keep tacking on hardware and building your DVD library? How elegantly do the separate changers communicate: is it like operating several different DVD changers or one cohesive library?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

- David Stein
Old 05-12-02, 07:24 PM

All the ones I have seen, even CD ones will act like one. The only think I am not sure of, is how you connect it video and audio wise. I am not sure if those signal get passed along the link between each players. Also, there are hardly any changers that support prog scan (don't know if that is important for you) and not to mention the quality of these changers are questionable.

I do know that Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, and Kenwood makes changers, with the Kenwood .maybe, having a prog scan unit.
Old 05-12-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish that the manufacturer's would make a DVD changer unit that didn't require daisy chaining. All you would do is flip open the top and load a new carousel of 250 DVD discs into the unit.
Old 05-13-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Startide
I wish that the manufacturer's would make a DVD changer unit that didn't require daisy chaining. All you would do is flip open the top and load a new carousel of 250 DVD discs into the unit.
That would be good and bad. On the one hand, it'd probably be cheaper to tack on storage units. On the other hand, you'd have to keep switching the 250 DVD carousels... and I'm guessing that 250 DVDs plus storage rack would be kinda heavy!

- David Stein
Old 05-17-02, 05:40 PM

I have the Pioneer DV-F727 and have them Daisy changed and they work great (max is 2). 600 DVD though makes me nervous since it get's pretty hot in there. The down sides of this are:

- No more than 2 Daisy Changed
- No progressive scan
- Can only do S-Video
- Both units are On when you power up (your DVD's stay nice and tosty).

That's my only complaints, but I am happy with the setup for now and it's cool to have most of your movies at your fingertips.

Once I upgrade to an HDTV, and am going back to single disc player with progressive scan and a DVD rack.

Sony is comming out with a New 300+1 DVD changer in Aug. that's progressive scan.

The Kenwoods DV-5050 and 5900 have to many issues with the GUI, the layer change, and the Entre Hub. It's not worth money and the hassle