Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Poly-fill??spikes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 02:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poly-fill??spikes??

I'am intrested in getting poly fill and some carpet spikes but I really dont know where to start or search.Any recommendations? And if I do get the Poly fill how much should I put in the sub. i went to micheals craft store and saw there poly fill but it didnt really seem to look like something I would shove in my sub.
Old 02-11-02, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Polyfill is bascally the stuff that is in pillows. You could cut open an old pillow and use that if you want. All it does is make the enclosure seem larger than it is by slowing down the waves inside.

The amount of polyfill depends on the sub and enclosure. You have the Sony sub now right?

I would start with a 50% fill and see how it sounds.

Spikes can be found at www.partsexpress.com I would post the part number, but their catalog is huge and I don't know the page number

Their catalog is free though:
http://apps.pesupport.com/catalog/catalog.cfm
Old 02-11-02, 08:35 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please be careful when stuffing a sub....... KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE PLATE AMP, bad things can happen
Old 02-15-02, 12:11 AM

That's interesting...what's this polyfill stuff? It slows down the sound waves inside? Does that mean it works better for smaller rooms? Is it hard to do? Hard to undo if needed? What kind of subs can you do it with?
Old 02-15-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can pick up 1 lb bags of polyfill for about $2 at any craft shop (or the crafts section of your local Target/Walmart)

Adding polyfill in the enclosure increases the damping factor of the enclosure, making it act like a larger volume of air behind the driver. The normal result is that you will tighten up the sound from an otherwise slightly boomy sub. For some subs, no amount of polyfill can help.

As others have said, keep it away from the amplifier within your sub. The stuff is flammable, and you don't really want to burn the place down, do you?